Removal of truck mods from either ETS2 or ATS from the opposite game ?

Wolfseye

Removal of truck mods from either ETS2 or ATS from the opposite game ?

#1 Post by Wolfseye » 20 Sep 2021 18:10

There have been some rumors floating around, that SCS would be about to "force" people to disallow truck mods from the opposite games ??? I hope this is just a rumor, and not real. Because that would be a bad move !

Mods have been supported by SCS for a long time now. And although they have forbidden the offering of "PAYED" mods on their forum, which I can understand, since other people should not make money on the forum of the Developers site for mods. I understand that, and agree.
But in general mods have been supported for a long time, and forcing people which mods they can use (unless maybe in the official Multiplayer, if that would support mods), that would suck. Badly.

As much as there are some, that would want to make you believe that most people actually dont use mods and play the games "vanilla", thats for sure not the case. I mean, whats wrong with mods ? Nothing. Those that dont want to use them, can do so. But those that want to use them, and there are already too many games that dont offer anything like that anymore these days, will use them.

Someone told me, SCS would have a maybe a problem with the "vibe" of the individual game, as people play it, with for example using US trucks (mods) in ETS2 (because why the hell not?) and the other way around with EU trucks in ATS. One could argue that thats not realistic, and although that would be a valid opinion of a person (which would be fine), but if i would prefer it that way, why not ? What i play on my PC here in Single Player on my own, should be my decision. If mods are supported, which they are for a long time, why now change that ?

As an example, i love US trucks. But i prefer to play actually ETS2, because (again about mods) I can build such nice mod combos and have so much area to drive and make the game much more the way i would like to play it, with mods. I am not the biggest fan of ATS, and though also with mods you can pimp that up a bit, there is still more content with mods for ETS2. I payed for both games, and over the years for pretty much all Game DLCs for both games. So I'd say I helped support this company, by buying their products. I just want to use it more my way, which I think is ok since mods are supported. But just to remove that capability, just because the developer thinks we should play the games only the way he sees it, thats simply NOT OK.

It would take away from me enjoying the games the way i have them til now. For many years. And that would in the end maybe even mean, me not playing the Games anymore, and by that also not paying for their DLC's anymore, hence not support the developer anymore.
If a company like EA or Activision forces people to do something they want their way, they wouldnt really care about a few people that wouldnt agree on that. They sell each year millions of copies of Battlefield or COD, for them a few people leaving because of some like that, would not matter. Some dont matter, its all about the whole. And they make plenty. Same with other big companies, they can do what they want, because a few people that dont like some, they can simply ignore.

But is SCS really making that amount of profit, that they could simply ignore some people, and do the good old "Because we can!" way ? As much as I love these games, they are essentially niche games. How many people really play Truck Sim, compared to some Shooter or Adventure or Fighting or Action games ? I am sure pretty little compared to those other categories. And what I mean to say is not, that because they are niche games, they are bad or worse than other games, but just to explain the amount of players that are behind such games, compared to the big games and big game categories. But i want to say, that because its more a specific-fan game, companies know that they dont make the big money, like with AAA games. Which is ok. But then it wouldnt be smart, dismissing things people love to do, just because of one's own pride or the way they would think the game should be played.

I payed for both games, i payed for pretty much every DLC over the years, if i would want to play ETS2 with a US truck mod, why would that not be something i could decide on my own ? Does it hurt anyone, what i play here in my room ? I am not even playing online, i am not even help "changing" the vibe of the game on a large scale. I just play it the way i love it, and that I really do.

There is no other game i can relax and enjoy more with, than ETS2 and ATS (although i am not the biggest fan of the latter). And I pay for each of those DLC's everytime, because I like to support the game, considering what enjoyment it gives me. But making things impossible, like a developer that wants to decide what mods I play it with on my own, thats not ok at all.

And again, this whole topic is based on rumors that some people were spreading, but nothing really confirmed officially. So I am trying to find out whats true about that, and if, I also voice my opinion about it and hopefully also make the Developer aware. It would not be OK at all.

And please, guys, dont start with bashing people that use mods. Whats the point ? I eat Fruitloops with milk, you eat it dry, without milk, so what ? Dont put milk on it, and thats it. Dont bash other people, because they like it with milk. Noone forces you to eat it with milk, if you catch my drift. ;) Let other people do what they like, it wont make any difference for you. Dont bash just to bash, thats bull....

If this is just a silly rumor, which I really hope, i only wasted 20 minutes to write all this, no big loss of my time. But if its not, and there is something to this, its a loss of my fun with this game, which in return would maybe get me to be less inclined to continue supporting this game, by not buying DLCs anymore. If SCS is ok with that, if like with the big developers, "some" dont matter really, then so be it. But I really hope SCS wouldnt think like that.

Let people play the game the way they want, its what keeps many people with these games. Changing that now would not be smart.

And to end this, i really hope i am wrong and this is just a silly rumor.

Cheers

Wolf

P.S: And if you argue that its not realistic to use an US truck in Europe, if we go the realism way, I am sure i can find a million things in both games that are not really realistic.
I might get easily frustrated and say something wrong on occasion, but I never really mean it. Please do what I often cant, dont take it too personal. And please forgive me. Thanks guys. :)
parasaurolophus67

Re: Rumors about being forced to remove truck mods from either ETS2 or ATS from the opposite game ?

#2 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 20 Sep 2021 18:16

Whoever said that Rumor clearly isn't a good person and doesn't know anything about gaming. SCS wouldn't do that of course. Like think about it, I've seen mods that are more wacky then the ones you said. Like car mods, bus mods, Even a mod with a chimp riding a shopping cart. so I don't think they would do that.
IvanKuz

Re: Rumors about being forced to remove truck mods from either ETS2 or ATS from the opposite game ?

#3 Post by IvanKuz » 20 Sep 2021 18:36

This is true, my uncle works at SCS and he confirmed this. :lol:

Don't believe everything you read online. The only reason SCS might ever go after some mods is licensing issues and certainly not "because we can". And even then nothing can truly be ever uprooted from the Internet, any mod removed from here or Steam will likely still float around the Internet and can be found and used as you wish.
room217au

#4 Post by room217au » 20 Sep 2021 21:09

I'm suggesting that SCS could announce that no images or video of mods be allowed on these forums. As OP said, they've done this with payware mods already.
It is not unreasonable in the cae of some mod that besmirches or ridicules a client's brand name. I use "Chicken DooM" or "Simpsons DooM" from the 1990s as an example.
If you suck at playing the trumpet, that's probably why.
kast

#5 Post by kast » 20 Sep 2021 21:17

I can only see trucks taken from ATS or other way around.it is ripping from one product to other.
mackintosh

#6 Post by mackintosh » 21 Sep 2021 00:00

Sounds like American manufacturers are pissed their trucks are appearing in a game they didn’t license them for. I doubt this is is coming from our side of the pond. Nevertheless it’s plausible, and wouldn’t surprise me if it came to pass. SCS can’t do anything about it but acquiesce, which is a a pity as they will bear the inevitable community backlash entirely themselves.
Underscore_101_

#7 Post by Underscore_101_ » 21 Sep 2021 01:25

Read this:
viewtopic.php?f=281&t=270259

There's actually some sort of official statement about Truck mods that "copy" trucks from one game to the other and visa versa.

Nothing about them being removed though, but basically it's a tricky subject :-)

But like already mentioned, Truck manufacturers may want SCS to put a stop to it, from what i can tell European manufacturers are a bit easier on that matter, but without anything official from SCS,.....
As also already mentioned, it won't be easy to implement it, aside from mods coming from places outside places where SCS has, or can have direct control of, the game would also need to recognize mods that aren't allowed.
And that could potentially implicate all kinds of mods.
egulley316

#8 Post by egulley316 » 21 Sep 2021 02:41

Underscore_101_ wrote: 21 Sep 2021 01:25 Read this:
viewtopic.php?f=281&t=270259

There's actually some sort of official statement about Truck mods that "copy" trucks from one game to the other and visa versa.

Nothing about them being removed though, but basically it's a tricky subject :-)

But like already mentioned, Truck manufacturers may want SCS to put a stop to it, from what i can tell European manufacturers are a bit easier on that matter, but without anything official from SCS,.....
As also already mentioned, it won't be easy to implement it, aside from mods coming from places outside places where SCS has, or can have direct control of, the game would also need to recognize mods that aren't allowed.
And that could potentially implicate all kinds of mods.
Somebody posted about this in a facebook post and stated that OSCAR is the one who said that they were removing the mods from the steam workshop. I have not seen any post by Oscar on this subject so I am going to call BS on the rumor.
bobgrey1997

#9 Post by bobgrey1997 » 21 Sep 2021 03:37

Interesting rumor. Where did you first hear it? I've been active on this forum for many years now and have never even heard of the idea of this, so not much of a rumor, to be honest, if it can't even spread like one!
Seems like some random person making things up.
Bulldog385

#10 Post by Bulldog385 » 21 Sep 2021 04:35

Whoever started this rumor, I'm going to assume lives under a rock ... and has done so for pretty much the last 100 years or so smh lol

It maybe true, that Manufacturers don't want their licensed trucks in other games besides the one they allowed for, but Anyone who knows where to look on the Internet and loves trucks ... will notice in other countries, you wouldnt imagine running US trucks ... do infact run them ... alot of times, USED of course, but still.

Heck, FWIW, this past weekend ... Scania showed off a dump truck at a mining equipment show here in North America (I already forgot where it was though). Also if you think about it, a few manufacturers here in the US already are using different countries manufacturers trucks, engines, etc. F?or example look at (Paccar) Pete 220 & KWs K270 and K370 Low cab forwards (LCFs) they're basically rebadged DAF trucks.

Also I love the idea of using trucks from game on another and vice versa. I even do that sometimes as well.

Return to “General discussion about the game”