Removal of truck mods from either ETS2 or ATS from the opposite game ?

Mohegan13
Global moderator

Re: Rumors about being forced to remove truck mods from either ETS2 or ATS from the opposite game ?

#21 Post by Mohegan13 » 21 Sep 2021 09:05

Let's use Volvo as an example here as the brand is represented in both games.

SCS got a licence to use the VNL in ATS and ONLY in ATS.
SCS's officially licenced VNL content is being used in ETS2 - this is a breach of contract.
SCS allow this content on their forums and workshop - their two official forums.

Not only does this leave SCS open to being sued, but it also gives Volvo a legitimate reason to withdraw the licence and require SCS to remove the VNL from the game. It harms any and all future negotiation with them because trust is also lost.

It's the exact same reason paid mods are not allowed here. Licencing. Damages.

By distancing themselves on the official forums, they are protecting their games, their licencing partners, and you the gamer who keeps begging for more trucks in the future.

Lawyers do not care how we feel about something, if they perceive a threat they will act on it, if they feel the licencing terms are being breached they will act on it. The smart thing to do is distance themselves so it doesn't become an issue.

What mods you make and share privately is not SCS's responsibility. What is their responsibility is how it is perceived to their industry partners here on their official forums and on their official platform on Steam. That is what is important and what they need to control.

No one says we have to like it. But welcome to the real world of red tape and lawyers, where protecting your assets is more important than the feelings of people on the internet. 🤷‍♂
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
mackintosh

Re: Rumors about being forced to remove truck mods from either ETS2 or ATS from the opposite game ?

#22 Post by mackintosh » 21 Sep 2021 09:05

@Wolfseye Are you being purposfully obtuse? Money is the reason. SCS paid (or made some other arrangement that constitutes good and valuable consideration) for one game so they got the license for one game. This means said licensed content cannot be used in any other SCS game. End of story. If you pay for a single ticket to Bumfunkystan Wisconsin, you don't get to also go to Funkytown in the UK.

And again, Moh has already explained this, but to be clear - anyone can still happily port over ATS assets to ETS2 and vice versa, so long as it's not through SCS-sanctioned venues, such as the forum or the workshop. SCS isn't going to go hunt modders sharing their creations on random websites. No one can nor would expect them to. This is just something that has to be done to satisfy a licensing partner and is a reasonable request that is a normal part of how trademark licensing works. I'm surprised it took one of them this long to be honest. There's another well-known sim that has already gone through this several years ago.
Underscore_101_

#23 Post by Underscore_101_ » 21 Sep 2021 09:17

@Mohegan13 Do you know if this also includes Standalone truck mods that are not (currently) in either vanilla game from SCS, for example Harven's Mack R and Freightliner FLB and Argosy, Overfloaters K100,... that are in the Workshop for both games, there are more about, but these just spring to mind and are ones that i use in both games.

And as a general question, could this set a precedent for the future for like trailer brands...?
Wolfseye

#24 Post by Wolfseye » 21 Sep 2021 09:18

I understand what you mean @Mohegan13 ;) but I have to say, it doesnt really make for a good image on the truck manufacturers to throw out so petty reasons for things to go their way. I know, its not different than with other things on our planet.

And you wonder why UFOs would not just land here... :D humans.... you gotta love them !

But you're also right, it wont stop the whole thing, just in those 2 places SCS can control and in which they can force SCS to do it that way for them. Normally I would have always preferred mods from SCS or SW, not those sites. But I guess one has to adapt as well. ;)
I might get easily frustrated and say something wrong on occasion, but I never really mean it. Please do what I often cant, dont take it too personal. And please forgive me. Thanks guys. :)
plykkegaard

#25 Post by plykkegaard » 21 Sep 2021 09:21

If you have created a Cascadia from ground up in eg Blender noone will remove it
If you have ported in game parts / content it will be removed
The same goes for any 3D model from DLCs: Don't copy
What not to understand?

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#26 Post by Mohegan13 » 21 Sep 2021 09:24

Underscore_101_ wrote: 21 Sep 2021 09:17 @Mohegan13 Do you know if this also includes Standalone truck mods that are not (currently) in either vanilla game from SCS
This only affects SCS made models.

As it says in the topic I linked, models that modders have made from scratch are perfectly fine. It's just the use of truck models SCS made being shared to the other game.

So things like Aradeth's Volvo are fine, because he made it all himself. Same with Overfloater, Harven, and smarty and the rest. The models aren't made by SCS at all so they are completely fine as is regardless of which games they work in.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
plykkegaard

#27 Post by plykkegaard » 21 Sep 2021 09:32

+1

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Underscore_101_

#28 Post by Underscore_101_ » 21 Sep 2021 09:34

Thanks for the quick reply, that's the same topic i linked before :-)

i had already read through that, but since they're not talking about removal there (and in a way were allowing it for the time being), or at least that's how i read it.
so i figured maybe they've changed their mind, or are rather forced to for the good (hopefully) of the future.

It's a shame things are going this way, but i understand where SCS is coming from, i just hope it's a precaution and they aren't actually forced to by companies.
IvanKuz

#29 Post by IvanKuz » 21 Sep 2021 10:48

Wolfseye wrote: 21 Sep 2021 09:00What i was asking is to see a really good reason, other than the manufacturers would just press SCS to do that, "because they can!"
Nobody is doing anything "because they can". The world is a complex place, it doesn't consist of Saturday morning cartoon villains who just sit there thinking how can they ruin the fun for those pesky gamers who don't play ETS2 the way they want them to. :roll:

Companies are very protective of their brands, trademarks and IPs, plain and simple. That's how you end up with stories like a movie studio suing an elementary school for playing one of their movies at some event. It may look baffling or unreasonable to you or me, but for them it's crucial to protect their assets at all costs and make sure there isn't a legal precedent of letting someone off the hook for misusing those assets. Maybe SCS isn't doing anything to harm Volvo (for example) or their profits by letting you drive a ported truck in a game it wasn't licensed for, but someone else might, and they may try and use the fact that Volvo didn't enforce it with SCS to claim that they can get away with it too.

Anyway, I'm sure that a week from now you will still be able to find any mod you are currently using just after 5 seconds of googling it.
Wolfseye

#30 Post by Wolfseye » 21 Sep 2021 11:22

Thanks, @IvanKuz . ;)
I might get easily frustrated and say something wrong on occasion, but I never really mean it. Please do what I often cant, dont take it too personal. And please forgive me. Thanks guys. :)

Return to “General discussion about the game”