Removal of truck mods from either ETS2 or ATS from the opposite game ?

Marcello Julio

Re: Removal of truck mods from either ETS2 or ATS from the opposite game ?

#41 Post by Marcello Julio » 23 Sep 2021 02:42

@egulley316 Is not the same thing. What Take Two has make and is doing is taking down the mods that by themselves have no harmand suing the modders.
What SCS is doing is just remove and generously warning with without any consequences that mods related to this nature of trucks from one game to another game will no longer be accepted to be published here on the forum and on the Steam Workshop.
Wolfseye

#42 Post by Wolfseye » 23 Sep 2021 07:11

xXCARL1992Xx wrote: 22 Sep 2021 19:17 same with this funny sentence
Might be legally ok, but not otherwise. Bad move, no matter for what reason.
i have bad news for you but big companies dont care one bit for you or your opinion on what is a bad move or not, if they want you gone your are gone (if it concerns their intellectual property) Disney and Nintendo are prime examples
There is always a difference between what's legal and what's ok. Not that that matters in the end, but its my right to say it, never the less, even if it doesnt change anything.
You dont like it, dont read it. But making fun of someone elses opinion is not fun, m8.
I might get easily frustrated and say something wrong on occasion, but I never really mean it. Please do what I often cant, dont take it too personal. And please forgive me. Thanks guys. :)
mackintosh

#43 Post by mackintosh » 23 Sep 2021 08:54

Unless their licensing agreements state otherwise, SCS' liability extends only so far as the platforms they exercise control over. Beyond that, the responsibility to protect trademarks is on the manufacturer, and I have serious doubts whether they see individual modders as any threat. No one is going to expend legal fees going after some guy who maybe sold a thousand copies of a virtual truck. At most they will send a threatening letter demanding a take-down that can be sidestepped by removing branding from said models. Waste of time for all concerned. Trademark infringiment isn't as clear cut as copyright, especially when concerning infringement across completely disparate industries.
Some newbie driver

#44 Post by Some newbie driver » 23 Sep 2021 09:58

egulley316 wrote: 22 Sep 2021 22:10Because people are making money off of the mods.
So, following your flawless logic, all Police organizations worldwide allow crimes to happen because criminals go gain money doing their activities? :roll:
IonutL

#45 Post by IonutL » 23 Sep 2021 10:58

It's definitely also a possibility that, if SCS games continue to gain popularity and get to have more eyes on them, some companies could demand that user created mods that contains their copyrighted/trademark property need to be banned from being posted on any platform that SCS can have a control over.
Nothing should be taken for granted, especially in an intellectual property driven world.
Some newbie driver

#46 Post by Some newbie driver » 23 Sep 2021 11:05

It's a possibility; but let's be real. SCS is waaaay far from achieve such a player base size big enough for having such a volume of "community activity" that will bother big brands lawyers and made them actively pursuit those IP offending mods. The task is so difficult that it's unpractical unless we were talking about a real sheer volume of IP infringements.
mackintosh

#47 Post by mackintosh » 23 Sep 2021 11:16

IonutL wrote: 23 Sep 2021 10:58 It's definitely also a possibility that, if SCS games continue to gain popularity and get to have more eyes on them, some companies could demand that user created mods that contains their copyrighted/trademark property need to be banned from being posted on any platform that SCS can have a control over.
Nothing should be taken for granted, especially in an intellectual property driven world.
It's certainly a possibility for any trademarks that aren't licensed for use by SCS, though obviously that would only affect forums and workshop. Going after individual "offenders" would be too costly and not worth their time. Imagine someone trying to invalidate an Alcoa trademark because they didn't go after that one guy that has replica virtual rims on gumroad for a dollar.
Wolfseye

#48 Post by Wolfseye » 23 Sep 2021 11:19

https://frkn64modding.com/announcement- ... n471Z0c5Wg

I thought this is only about Steam Workshop and SCS Forum ? I know that this guy has his mods posted on SW, probably also here in the Forum as well. But, also on his website. But how it reads, he is not just giving up those mods on those 2 sources, but the download at all.
So, I guess SCS is now forcing other sites as well.
I might get easily frustrated and say something wrong on occasion, but I never really mean it. Please do what I often cant, dont take it too personal. And please forgive me. Thanks guys. :)
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#49 Post by Mohegan13 » 23 Sep 2021 11:22

I've mentioned this before, but back around Forza 2 or 3 (I forget which) the UK RAC company sent a cease and desist letter to Microsoft/Turn10 because it didn't like the fact people were selling liveries based on the RAC in the in-game auction house.

Bare in mind no real money was ever used, just in game credits. T10 then had to ban anyone using the livery from all online services the game offered.

At the end of the day, so long as SCS do what they need to to protect their licences, the rest should be okay.

If asking people not to share their licenced trucks on the forum or workshop is all that might take then we should be happy. No one is saying you can't share them privately, just don't do it on the official areas.

There's no point getting into the is it legal debate, because the simple fact is 99% of mods are illegal, how many do you think honestly ask for permission to copy brand names and such? Companies won't generally go after you for free mods because it's not worth the effort or cost. So long as you aren't portraying them in a bad light at least. I have know two British companies to send cease & desists to ETS2 groups that were running VTC in their names. One was VOSA I forget the other brand.

Paid mods are completely up to the company being violated. They could go after the modders directly, cease & desist, monetary damages, or they could ask SCS to do something about it as it is their game the content is being used in. Let's hope the latter never ever happens because that would be bad. Very bad, for all of us.

@Wolfseye If you read what they said in the post, they had suspended them already. That would suggest they just don't want to carry on with them to me.

I can say with certainty though, it's only here on the forum and workshop where they aren't allowed. I'll Poke frnk though, just in case he misunderstood.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
Wolfseye

#50 Post by Wolfseye » 23 Sep 2021 11:24

Mohegan13 wrote: 23 Sep 2021 11:22

@Wolfseye If you read what they said in the post, they had suspended them already. That would suggest they just don't want to carry on with them to me.

I can say with certainty though, it's only here on the forum and workshop where they aren't allowed. I'll Poke frnk though, just in case he miss understood.
Thank you. ;) Because this would really be sad.

Return to “General discussion about the game”