Building new setup and have some questions

jpgale

Building new setup and have some questions

#1 Post by jpgale » 28 Oct 2021 02:46

Hi all,

I have been play ETS2 since it came out and before that UKTS and GTS, I also play ATS as well. I have always played on a laptop and until a little while ago I was playing on keyboard. I got a used G27 (which I love) and have been enjoying playing using that but I had no where to have it setup fulltime so I got a stand that I could put in place when I wanted to play, but as you can imagine with a very busy work life and wife and kid this takes to much for a quick 30 mins or so drive. Well last week I ordered a new Alienware desktop PC to run my driving sim games and have arranged a full time setup location in my house. While I am waiting for my new PC to arrive I have been figuring out the other parts of the setup. This is what I have so far, a 34 inch wide curved monitor (I don't think I have room for a 3 monitor setup), tobii eye tracker (I don't want to wear something like I would with trackir), a sim panel button box and sim panel SKRS shifter.

So here is the real question, I have now started to turn my attention to other parts of the setup. I have looked at SIM Dashboard, I am happy to get 2 or 3 Fire tablets to use for them (I am an iOS guy by trade), I also like the look of the ETS2/ATS mobile route advisor. Can I use the route advisor and sim dashboard at the same time. Should I actually get the button box and the sim dash button box, or will the software button box be sufficient? I am not looking to have a keyboard near me so I would need to replace some of the button I use on there with a combination of button boxes (mainly the esc key). How hard is it to create new dashboards on the studio app for sim dashboard.

On a side note I have decided to start new profiles on both games with my own company skins which I will be working to create as they are simple and based on Evans transport of Devon (a company where I have personally known a few drivers) from where I grew up and always liked the look of them, so wish me luck with creating those :)
JoeAlex23

Re: Building new setup and have some questions

#2 Post by JoeAlex23 » 28 Oct 2021 16:18

I know this is not the point of your post, but could i ask what Model and the specs of that said Alienware PC are? If you aren't too much into the gaming PC market, Alienware (Dell) has been into some hot waters when it comes to Pre-built gaming PC's in the last few years, i'm just a PC enthusiast looking out for another fellow gamer 😅
Underscore_101_

#3 Post by Underscore_101_ » 28 Oct 2021 17:03

Idk if the Fire tablet can run Android apps from the Google Play store, but if it does...

....Sim dashboard has a few options, to start with there's a trial version with very limited options, they have at least 2 paid options (when i got it some time ago) one of which is all games it supports for like 10 euros and one that only supports ATS and ETS2 for like 7 euros.
With the app you can setup several pages per profile, so for example you can have one page with dials like speed, rpm, etc,... and another page with buttons, and another with a map or a combination to your liking, and you can swipe between them while playing, there are community made templates that you can adjust and from the same community displays that look like the real thing.
But you can also run several tablets/phones at once with different setups/pages so long they are on the same network as the game.
It's quite customizable.
The gps map as you see in the game is not supported atm, you can have a map view, but that only shows where you are, not the route you see in game.
There seems to be some support for a map with Promods, not sure if they are community created, but i've not found other map mod combos for it, which doesn't mean they aren't there :-)

It does get updated quite regularly.

Good luck with your paint job.
jpgale

#4 Post by jpgale » 28 Oct 2021 17:54

JoeAlex23 wrote: 28 Oct 2021 16:18 I know this is not the point of your post, but could i ask what Model and the specs of that said Alienware PC are? If you aren't too much into the gaming PC market, Alienware (Dell) has been into some hot waters when it comes to Pre-built gaming PC's in the last few years, i'm just a PC enthusiast looking out for another fellow gamer 😅
I actually expected someone to ask this anyway :) I was unaware of any issues with Alienware but I have had a lot of dells in my time and have found them to be fine computers, that said my current laptop is an asus. I live more in the Mac world but like to still have Windows for games. The one on order is

Alienware Aurora R12
11th Gen intel i7
32 GB DDR4 3200MHz
NVidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X
512GB SSD boot + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s storage drive
jpgale

#5 Post by jpgale » 28 Oct 2021 17:58

Underscore_101_ wrote: 28 Oct 2021 17:03 Idk if the Fire tablet can run Android apps from the Google Play store, but if it does...

....Sim dashboard has a few options, to start with there's a trial version with very limited options, they have at least 2 paid options (when i got it some time ago) one of which is all games it supports for like 10 euros and one that only supports ATS and ETS2 for like 7 euros.
With the app you can setup several pages per profile, so for example you can have one page with dials like speed, rpm, etc,... and another page with buttons, and another with a map or a combination to your liking, and you can swipe between them while playing, there are community made templates that you can adjust and from the same community displays that look like the real thing.
But you can also run several tablets/phones at once with different setups/pages so long they are on the same network as the game.
It's quite customizable.
The gps map as you see in the game is not supported atm, you can have a map view, but that only shows where you are, not the route you see in game.
There seems to be some support for a map with Promods, not sure if they are community created, but i've not found other map mod combos for it, which doesn't mean they aren't there :-)

It does get updated quite regularly.

Good luck with your paint job.
From what I can find on Sim dashboards web site it may work, I know you can run google play on Amazon and I know that it is possible to run Amazon builds on google play devices (Don't ask still surprised the guy who made that mistake kept his job), part of my job is running the mobile build distribution for a large well known gaming company in Silicon Valley. So it should work and it is low cost to try it.
jpgale

#6 Post by jpgale » 28 Oct 2021 19:47

I just ordered the fire table so I can play with it and find out what I am doing.
jpgale

#7 Post by jpgale » 30 Oct 2021 21:34

Well I got a 7 inch fire tablet and was able to install Google play store to get Sim Dashboard working. I built a simple dashboard looks ok and work well on that tablet. I was less happy with the mobile route advisor web interface, but both systems will work together. Right now I am thinking I will get another 7 inch tablet that will allow me to do the route information pages (f6 and f7) in game and a 10 inch to make a button box. It is then just a question of if I want/need to get the hardware button box, which I am leaning away from.

I also got the custom skins to work so far I have created a few, lots more to do.

Return to “General discussion about the game”