Doing perfect deliveries possible?

Of your last dozen deliveries of over 1,500km, how many were perfect?

Poll ended at 01 Dec 2021 16:18

None
7%
1 or 2
7%
3 or 4
3%
5 or 6
7%
7 or 8
3%
9 or 10
7%
All of them
66%

Total votes: 29

NemesysTrans

Doing perfect deliveries possible?

#1 Post by NemesysTrans » 24 Nov 2021 16:18

I've been playing ETS2 and ATS for a couple of years now. I've been a real life driver for over 40 years. Never involved in an accident. Recently, I started checking if I could make perfect long distance deliveries. And I realize it's quite a challenge. My average deliveries are over 800 miles (1,200km). In my last dozen attempts or so, I haven't been able to make one perfect delivery. I did it in the past because I have a Steam achievement that says I did for a delivery over 1,000km.

But, recently, I've been unable to do so. It seems the game will always sneak a crazy AI driver out of nowhere. The latest occurence was yesterday. I was doing a 2,200km delivery. Was about 500km from the destination. I stopped at a filling station (is this how these are called in Europe? Never heard filling stations here in the US). I was about to merge with the automobile traffic, just before merging on the highway. I was going maybe 10 km/h. i carefully looked to my left. Didn't see anything. Just as I proceeded, bang! Out of nowhere, this car almost rear-ended me! To add insult to the injury, I'm slapped with a crash offense! But he clearly rear-ended me. I don't know if that's the rule in Europe but, here, in the US (and in Canada), if you rear-end someone, you're at fault, no matter what.

Anyway, I'm curious to see how you guys are doing with longer deliveries.
xeviax

Re: Doing perfect deliveries possible?

#2 Post by xeviax » 24 Nov 2021 17:02

I would say 8 out 10 for me for both ETS2 & ATS. Though most of my 1500km+ deliveries are before 1.42. But all of these deliveries receive only 3-4% wear & tear damage for tires (Mostly with owned trailers).
Underscore_101_

#3 Post by Underscore_101_ » 24 Nov 2021 17:11

Any delivery can be done perfect, no matter how long the distance is, most of the times it's the player's fault when an accident happens, but sometimes it's the AI being AI.
I can't answer your poll, sometimes it's the AI being weird, but most of the time it's me that's at fault.

And yes in Europe the car rear ending you is usually at fault, unless they can prove you did something you shouldn't have.
Also in Europe, we have insurance, we don't get fined for simple road accidents without injuries, police usually doesn't get involved at all for those, when a minor
accident happens we fill out a form that almost everyone has in their car/truck and send it to the insurance company.
Some newbie driver

#4 Post by Some newbie driver » 24 Nov 2021 17:18

Forget IRL crashing rules, the offense is applied to player or not depending on how the game calculates who has crashed against who, and the result of those calculations isn't always as clear as we could think due how crash happened. Sometimmes I've rammed by mistake AI cars and had no penalty applied, for example; while other times it happens the same as you mention. Thinks are easier once you start to learn the limitations of the AI.

For example, AI is never going to understand that we are slowly entering their lane. We are in their lane or we are not, black or white. So, until the center of our truck isn't near enough to the center of AI current lane, it will consider us out of the lane and go straight even if that means to crash against the part of our truck already inside its lane. That's why, if an AI is near, we should avoid the gentle progressive lane changes (what you have been doing all your life as a trucker). You have to suddenly change lane so the AI understands as soon as possible (as far from our truck as possible) there's an obstacle in front of it.

Another example, roundabouts. There's three things to consider there:
- In multi-lanes roundabouts; if your path is in between inner and outer lane, AI can consider you are in inner lane and enter to outer one without yielding (by the same reason I said before of how they consider we are occupying a lane). So, always try to stay strictly in outer lane to avoid potential crashes due this.
- If you use your blinkers signaling the exit, AI will consider ALWAYS you are going to exit exactly the NEXT available exit. So, any car entering by the same place will not even bother to slow down to yield pass if necessary.
- There's some roundabout models with a problem in AI navigation that makes them ignore to yield pass when we are inside the roundabout (the AI navigation routine doesn't receive the info it should be yielding; so, as they arrive from our right, it considers it has right of pass). Knowing those models of roundabouts makes you act more cautious in there until they were fixed.

And so on and on... Lots of times its not the AI by itself but the definition of the road that has a problem (like the last roundabout example I've explained). Report those whenever possible helps AI to be less annoying.

Sincerely, at this moment I've more problems with all other kind of fines than due crashes with AI. Not noticing soon enough speed limit changes is my specialty. :roll:

Regards
Underscore_101_

#5 Post by Underscore_101_ » 24 Nov 2021 18:14

this bit "AI is never going to understand that we are slowly entering their lane" isn't entirely true, when you use your blinkers when you want to change lane the AI will slow down and let you in no matter what speed you drive, happens on freeways, but also when you want to enter the road when leaving a rest stop, or fuel station.
They also give you room when two lanes merge into one, even before you use your blinkers.
Some newbie driver

#6 Post by Some newbie driver » 24 Nov 2021 19:40

You are right that in incorporation lanes (or whatever their name is) things go a bit different. Somewhat the AI checks you are running out of lane and suddenly stops to give us pass (and you don't even need the blinkers on for it).

But in general terms (aka, generic changing lane movement or entering a road/street from a yard for example), is like I said most times. If your move is checked by AI routine when you still aren't inside enough of the other lane (something easier if you do it slowly), crash is almost granted. And that doesn't mean it always fail. It just happens that it's not a consistent behavior so one must expect the worst to avoid collisions.

What it's true is that blinkers do have an effect (like on my example about the roundabout); is another one of the things we have to learn to "tame" the AI in our interest.

Regards
NemesysTrans

#7 Post by NemesysTrans » 24 Nov 2021 19:52

Speaking of AI, I think someone should teach them about how to merge correctly on a highway. That's really weird. Sometimes, the ongoing traffic on the highway will come to a complete stop to let the merging traffic to merge! Odd! You never do that in real life. But, I've also seen merging traffic completely ignoring the oncoming traffic. I was hit a few times. The guy just merges no matter what. And no, I didn't hit him from the rear, each time, they hit me from the side as I was almost completely passed them. Again, to add insult to the injury, I'm slapped with a crash offense!

And @xevlax : I'm not considering the wear and tear for a perfect job, it's part of the game no matter what.
Aziz

#8 Post by Aziz » 25 Nov 2021 08:03

I know it's due to scale of the map, but usually entry lanes are way too short, so merging vehicles, especially trucks, can't get up to speed and are stopped by the traffic coming from behind. It's the same deal with any closing lanes, everywhere. And AI does not have the courtesy of human and won't switch to leftmost lane to allow others to merge.
Underscore_101_ wrote: 24 Nov 2021 18:14 this bit "AI is never going to understand that we are slowly entering their lane" isn't entirely true, when you use your blinkers when you want to change lane the AI will slow down and let you in no matter what speed you drive, happens on freeways
That reminds me, anyone ever noticed that ai seems to have different personalities depending on the country? Wherever I'm on German autobahn, if I see a vehicle in my mirror, it's already too late to blink and change, it will zoom past at full speed. Then in Italy, countless times, they cut in on roundabouts, no matter if I blink to exit or not. (The amount of times I got fined for someone hitting me from the side when they weren't supposed to move yet)
Some newbie driver

#9 Post by Some newbie driver » 25 Nov 2021 08:18

The roundabouts in Italy you say are one of the models I mentioned before they have a layout bug that makes AI think there's no yield sign in there. They have to be fixed
wato

#10 Post by wato » 25 Nov 2021 09:55

@Aziz, yes I also noticed it. There seem to be different settings for max speed, speeding, aggressiveness, etc. Also, in the Baltics traffic really loves to pull out of T junctions on country roads right in front of you.

Getting a perfect delivery is hard, IMHO. Just yesterday I excited a motorway in France in the dark, slowing down gradually, but just after the exit lane diverged from the motorway the speed limit jumped to 30(!) kph. And the policeman behind was very eager to become employee of the month...

Return to “General discussion about the game”