AI trouble (serious fix needed)

De_Ruyter

AI trouble (serious fix needed)

#1 Post by De_Ruyter » 30 Nov 2021 13:45

I think we all know how horrible the AI traffic in both ETS2 as ATS (to a lesser extend) is.
Issues that will cause you to crash into them and you get blames and fined for it even if it wasn't your fault to start with.

- AI spawns in right next to your truck, most of the time right next to your truck in a dead zone.
- AI slowing down to a crawl or even stopping completely on the highway so merging traffic can get on. Yet often leads to a accident on the end of the merging lane. This instead of them moving 1 lane to the side so this can be prevented (and is more realistic)
- AI merging on to a highway either stopping completely on the end of the merging lane blocking everyone behind them from getting on, or just merging into on coming traffic even with another AI incoming (or you) causing an accident.
- AI driving way slower on the road then they should be. For example on a 80 km/h road they decide to drive 30 km/h. Often unexpectedly or without real logical sense to it causing crashes specially if you are behind them.
- When you overtake a slower vehicle and are nearly ready to do so, ALWAYS a AI driver comes up on the lane you need to overtake on and blocks you from overtaking. I can see why this happens from time to time, but really? All the time is a bit much aint it? You need to slow down so you don't cause a accident which also forces you to repeat that and try again with yet again another AI vehicle popping up to block you AGAIN!
- When you need to back up AI finds it a great idea to ignore the lights on your truck and crawl up to your rear blocking you from backing up. This also leading to possible accidents.
- AI ignoring the flashy lights on top of your truck when you haul dangerous materials or huge loads. With the special cargo DLC this is to some extend less so the case, but specially with the vanilla game and mods it's really bloody annoying to see AI just jeet into you because they ignored everything around them.
- AI stopping before the light turns red while easily 1 or 2 cars could have gone trough still.
- Crossings are a mad zone with no real logic to it. Just send out everyone and see what happens. Often leading to the road getting blocked because traffic that goes straight goes first, turning will have to wait.
- Specially AI rigids (concrete trucks for example) drive way under the speed limit for some reason holding up other traffic.
- Ai cars overtaking on the wrong side. This happens usually when you move a lane so merging traffic can get on or in some cases just after you overtook another truck. Really annoying and unrealistic.

Now please do tell me that this isn't just me, this really does need to get fixed asap as this is just only getting worse and it may eventually lead to people either turning off traffic or leaving the game because the AI is so horrible. I don't think either is a good option, please SCS look into this and fix it accordingly. Anyone reading this and agreeing with me, please let your voice be heard. Let's get this fixed, the AI seriously needs a huge overhaul. The issues I named are just a fraction of the huge list of issues caused by AI traffic, please do post things I didn't mention already. Feel free to discuss.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

Re: AI trouble (serious fix needed)

#2 Post by Mohegan13 » 30 Nov 2021 17:31

1. I haven't personally experienced this, but that would be considered a bug and should be reported with co-ordinates.

2. Dumb indeed. I believe this is done so that the human player doesn't get stuck on sliproads and junctions. It would be better if they made it so AI will move into the other lanes if clear.

3. You're supposed to stop on a merging lane if you can't get on, it classes as a "give way". As for merging I just move over into the other lane if I see a vehicle (particularly a truck) on a slip road. The AI will pull out if the gap seems big enough, so if a truck pulls out you either need to brake or you will hit it, or move over if on a multilane road.

4. This is another bug that should be reported with co-ordinates. Most likely the AI speed limit is set wrong.

5. AI doesn't magically spawn behind you, it is travelling at normal speeds. Plan your overtaking manouver appropriately and watch your mirrors. If you know you'll need to pass, and there's a car in the mirror move over early.

6. Use the hazards/four ways before getting into position. If you slow down before your reversing point and hit the 4 ways they will often wait with enough room. Admittedly this is not a perfect system, but even real life drivers are thick pig doodah in cases like this too.

7. Beacons are just for show. They have no purpose in the game beyond the visual aspect. But again, when do real drivers pay any attention to em?

9. Not sure what you're trying to say here TBH. I have no issue with crossings. 😕

11. Yeah, I have to disagree on the unrealistic. I see it every day on the motorway. People are stupid and undertake all the time.

While there's always room for improvement with the AI I really don't see most of these as an issue beyond the obvious bugs. Most of it comes down to driving style.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
De_Ruyter

#3 Post by De_Ruyter » 30 Nov 2021 21:52

Mohegan13 wrote: 30 Nov 2021 17:31 1. I haven't personally experienced this, but that would be considered a bug and should be reported with co-ordinates.

2. Dumb indeed. I believe this is done so that the human player doesn't get stuck on sliproads and junctions. It would be better if they made it so AI will move into the other lanes if clear.

3. You're supposed to stop on a merging lane if you can't get on, it classes as a "give way". As for merging I just move over into the other lane if I see a vehicle (particularly a truck) on a slip road. The AI will pull out if the gap seems big enough, so if a truck pulls out you either need to brake or you will hit it, or move over if on a multilane road.

4. This is another bug that should be reported with co-ordinates. Most likely the AI speed limit is set wrong.

5. AI doesn't magically spawn behind you, it is travelling at normal speeds. Plan your overtaking manouver appropriately and watch your mirrors. If you know you'll need to pass, and there's a car in the mirror move over early.

6. Use the hazards/four ways before getting into position. If you slow down before your reversing point and hit the 4 ways they will often wait with enough room. Admittedly this is not a perfect system, but even real life drivers are thick pig doodah in cases like this too.

7. Beacons are just for show. They have no purpose in the game beyond the visual aspect. But again, when do real drivers pay any attention to em?

9. Not sure what you're trying to say here TBH. I have no issue with crossings. 😕

11. Yeah, I have to disagree on the unrealistic. I see it every day on the motorway. People are stupid and undertake all the time.

While there's always room for improvement with the AI I really don't see most of these as an issue beyond the obvious bugs. Most of it comes down to driving style.
1. What specifically are you referring to?

2. and 3. IRL you should move over so merging traffc doesn't get to a stand still because of no one letting them in. It's a traffic safety reason why you NEVER stop on a highway unless you are in a accident or have no other choice. Not because merging it made impossible.

4. The AI speed limit is definitely set wrong, this has been the case since at least 2018 when I started to play both games. I really wonder why no one mentioned it to this day as it's really annoying :roll: (No, I'm not a speeder or breaker or rules. I drive as you should be driving)

5. AI tends to spawn right next to you or even in front of you at very rare occasions. I seen it happen, it gets worse if you look in your mirrors and see nothing there only to hit a car that wasn't there in the first place. It even happens if you keep watching those mirrors to make your turn without getting into trouble.

6. Doesn't seem to function properly then, even with those hazard lights on (which is the 4 ways indicator things actual name) The AI still will crawl right up to your bumper often enough, if not decide to keep driving as if you were not there.

7. Beacons should be made functional, else it is pointless to have them on your truck. And yes, people do keep an eye on them so they don't end up getting crushed. At least in countries that does force you to get your drivers license the proper way.

9. What I mean is that if the light turns green, everyone going straight and those that turn left will go at the same time. Of course there are a lot of roads that can't really get this changed. However it would make more sense to have straight and turning right traffic to move in 1 go as it will cause less problems (makes more sense following traffic flow) This way traffic turning left isn't stopped by traffic going straight forward which also stops backing up of traffic behind those vehicles. Usually you get 2-4 cars depending on the crossing trough that turn left with the rest being stuck behind another red light due to this silliness.

11. If you drive on the right side (mainland Europe, America) then you should stay at the most right side lane, you are NOT allowed by law to overtake on the right side as it's a dangerous thing to do. I don't care about now and then a AI driver pulling this stunt as it would be simulating IRL in that case. Not all IRL drivers will keep to the traffic rules. However it's really annoying if this does happen most of the time because the AI can't wait until you are back in the most right lane after overtaking or giving merging traffic space to get on. Same counts for left hand traffic like the UK, keep to the most left lane unless you have to overtake (on the right side) or switch lanes depending on where you are going to. You wouldn't expect someone to overtake you on the left side of your truck while it's illegal.

Regarding the placement of this topic, yeah I have to agree, this might have been better placed in the bug section. I realized this after I posted it, feel free to move it if that's the better solution.
Ropasiak

#4 Post by Ropasiak » 01 Dec 2021 14:47

De_Ruyter wrote: 30 Nov 2021 21:52
you are NOT allowed by law to overtake on the right side as it's a dangerous thing to do.
In Poland this is allowed under certain conditions :

The driver may overtake from the right on directional carriageways with designated lanes. This applies both to a traditional one-way carriageway, and to a dual carriageway consisting of two one-way carriageways, each for the opposite direction of traffic. This category includes motorways, which are by definition dual carriageways, sections of express roads where there are two separate carriageways, and other roads where the carriageways are separated. In these cases it is irrelevant whether the road is inside or outside a city area.

Overtaking from the right is also permitted on a dual carriageway, but under certain conditions. In a city area a two-way carriageway must have at least two designated lanes in the same direction.
Outside city areas a two-way carriageway must have at least three designated lanes in the same direction.
De_Ruyter

#5 Post by De_Ruyter » 01 Dec 2021 16:52

Ropasiak wrote: 01 Dec 2021 14:47
De_Ruyter wrote: 30 Nov 2021 21:52
you are NOT allowed by law to overtake on the right side as it's a dangerous thing to do.
In Poland this is allowed under certain conditions :

The driver may overtake from the right on directional carriageways with designated lanes. This applies both to a traditional one-way carriageway, and to a dual carriageway consisting of two one-way carriageways, each for the opposite direction of traffic. This category includes motorways, which are by definition dual carriageways, sections of express roads where there are two separate carriageways, and other roads where the carriageways are separated. In these cases it is irrelevant whether the road is inside or outside a city area.

Overtaking from the right is also permitted on a dual carriageway, but under certain conditions. In a city area a two-way carriageway must have at least two designated lanes in the same direction.
Outside city areas a two-way carriageway must have at least three designated lanes in the same direction.
Ah ok, that's good to know. But it doesn't mean the rest of Europe or all of America has those same rules. Perhaps it's good to look par country to see what rules should be applied regarding this so AI traffic can be adjusted accordingly to match the irl conditions (or at least by law)

Return to “General discussion about the game”