Linux release

truckbeat

Linux release

#1 Post by truckbeat » 20 Feb 2013 16:31

Hello everyone,

does anyone have any inside info (or maybe the developers themselves could tell us) regarding the status of the linux port?
A month ago it was written on twitter that it should've been ready in a few weeks.

To the linux haters, please don't turn this thread into an os war.
Reinhard

Re: Linux release

#2 Post by Reinhard » 20 Feb 2013 16:50

truckbeat wrote:To the linux haters, please don't turn this thread into an os war.
And to prevent any "they should do other things" outcries: The Prism3D engine was linux-capable from the beginning. And OpenGL is also good-known and was even first choice for the older games, on NVIDIA graphics.

So it is possibly about to align existing Linux, development-platform and the engine, a bit. Also a preparation for future game. Valve is going Linux, Steam is going Linux, so this might be a good moment to join the bandwagon. And hope it will get some speed. :)

BTW, I read the (blog) announcement as "the first beta is already done". Not "the game to sell".
SCS Blog wrote:http://blog.scssoft.com/2013/01/linux-is-close.html: Finally today we see the light at the end of the tunnel - Euro Truck Simulator 2 Linux port is almost finished. Very soon we should be able to start beta testing it.
truckbeat

#3 Post by truckbeat » 20 Feb 2013 17:16

This is what was written on twitter a month ago:
"We are working real hard on a complete Linux version of ETS2, hopefully only a few more weeks till we reach beta testing"

I guess I made the mistake of thinking it was going to be a public or open beta.

Anyway I think it would be nice to a have a status update, just to know whether the wait is going to be days,weeks or months before a final release.

I just can't wait to drive my truck and setup my tux-shpping company 8-)
Araripe

#4 Post by Araripe » 20 Feb 2013 19:55

ETS 2 for Linux? Just run ets 2 for Windows with Wine. Work well in Ubuntu, etc...
truckbeat

#5 Post by truckbeat » 20 Feb 2013 20:06

Araripe wrote:ETS 2 for Linux? Just run ets 2 for Windows with Wine. Work well in Ubuntu, etc...
I'm on gentoo and I've tried running it under wine but it's a no go.

The perfomance on my intel hd3000 (which should do for mid/low settings) is pretty bad with directx even at the lowest details. I can't use the opengl mode since all the textures are black but it seems to run much smoother.

Also when using directx at night the lights do not shade any light on the ground or anywhere so you can see them turned on but everything is pitch black.
I've asked on #winehq and a guy with a radeon and a different distro (can't remember which one though) tried it himself and had the same issues. :cry:

I should clarify that so far I've only tried with the demo (rated platinum on winehq, so either they tested only on nvidia or I'm doing something wrong).

I'm waiting for the linux release to buy the full game.
Reinhard

#6 Post by Reinhard » 20 Feb 2013 20:19

Araripe wrote:ETS 2 for Linux? Just run ets 2 for Windows with Wine. Work well in Ubuntu, etc...
Did you try it? Was the frame-rate loss really so negligible that you can recommend it to others? Does it work out of the box for non wine-experienced user?
ohaha

#7 Post by ohaha » 20 Feb 2013 20:36

Reinhard wrote:Did you try it? Was the frame-rate loss really so negligible that you can recommend it to others? Does it work out of the box for non wine-experienced user?
Probably not. ;)
Retired, but still loving it.
Araripe

#8 Post by Araripe » 20 Feb 2013 21:06

Reinhard wrote:
Did you try it? Was the frame-rate loss really so negligible that you can recommend it to others? Does it work out of the box for non wine-experienced user?
I have not tryied, but who have a powerful PC can try it :D

Return to “General discussion about the game”