What does Adaptive automatic transmission option do?

ANOK

Re: What does Adaptive automatic transmission option do?

#21 Post by ANOK » 19 Oct 2013 19:13

Cadde wrote:
ANOK wrote:Actually I am running 1.6.1

Is it supposed to be under 'transmission type' in the prefs?
Of course you are, the patch happened without my knowledge at the time. ;)
The setting is supposed to be under "Controls" (The bottom selection in options) and is near the top as described in the image i posted.
Thanks for that, I was looking in the wrong place doh!
Rickenbacker

#22 Post by Rickenbacker » 25 Oct 2013 09:35

It threw me as well. It should have been under game settings, but it's in controls for some strange reason.
Max
SCS Software

#23 Post by Max » 25 Oct 2013 11:21

Its there because this setting does not make sense without pedals or at least controller.
Used for keyboard controls makes strange shifting logic as player cannot balance throttle.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
Rickenbacker

#24 Post by Rickenbacker » 26 Oct 2013 08:49

Max wrote:it is not a bug, in fact.
this behavior emerged after adaptive logic was done and is indeed caused by shift ratios. but it's not the gap, it's caused by ratios themselves - scania and volvo just have set transmission for higher speeds (as they have stronger engines). when we kept correct wheel size, transmission and differential ratios in game this behavior appeared.
as scania trucker confirmed they had exactly this problem with their trucks - in combination with 90km/h speed limiter opticruise transmission did not want shift to 12. driver had to disable automatic transmission and shift to 12 manualy. or wait till the truck gets slightly bigger speed (eg downhill or hit 90km/h with only little throttle) and then shift itself. of course if driver press throttle a bit more then, opticruise downshifts again.

Well, how did Scania and Volvo solve it, and are you guys going to solve it the same way? As it is, you can't use adaptive transmission in those trucks.
Rickenbacker

#25 Post by Rickenbacker » 26 Oct 2013 08:50

Max wrote:Its there because this setting does not make sense without pedals or at least controller.
Used for keyboard controls makes strange shifting logic as player cannot balance throttle.
That makes sense, thanks for the explanation.
murdoch82

#26 Post by murdoch82 » 26 Oct 2013 12:46

Feel like I'm repeating my self over and over and me and Max has already talked alot about this so gonna be short this time.

Think the best solution would be having manual override like most trucks do now. They do it abit diffrently depending on brand, but just being able to manually kick it up to 12th would solve it and then have it go back to manual if you go below 1100 rpms or 1000 rpms. I get that its not "just do that", might have to rework alot of stuff to make that happen, I dont know, I'm not the programmer, poor Max has that task, wish I could help the guy! haha :P

I'm confident he will find a suitable solution, I cant think of a better one then that. Dont think we wanna change the ratios and stuff, want to keep is as stock as possible, altho I guess truck companies do change their trucks quite alot to fit their needs. ;)

One way is to just offer different gearboxes I guess, there are mods already that do that well, think they do mimic real ones aswell ^^
PC: AMD Ryzen R9 5900X, 32 Gb 3200 Mhz,MSI X570S Tomahawk WifI MAX, 6750XT 12Gb, 2x LG 27GL650B-F 144 Hz 1 x ASUS 24" 60 hz 3x1080p, G29 + H-Shifter, TrackIR5
Rickenbacker

#27 Post by Rickenbacker » 27 Oct 2013 19:17

I don't want to put more workload on the poor devs either, but I assume Volvo and Scania must have solved this. I can't imagine all those trucks I see on the road every day drive around in 11th gear when they have 12, just because the manufacturers couldn't reprogram their gearbox logic and/or cruise controls?
Max
SCS Software

#28 Post by Max » 27 Oct 2013 21:40

Yes, it will be solved.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
iPodge

#29 Post by iPodge » 02 Nov 2013 20:53

The easiest way to do it right now is to change the differential_ratio inside the truck's transmission files. There are already some commented out that you can use.
Scania has 3.08 set as standard, if you up it to 3.27 the truck will reach 1500U/min at a slightly lower speed and so the automatic will shift up earlier.
michal.bocian

#30 Post by michal.bocian » 05 Nov 2013 20:55

I dont think that change of rear axle ratio, or transmission ratios would be a good solution.
I think there is also another problem with adaptive automat - cruise control. For example: You are driving on highway at 85 km/h on 12th gear and there is small uphill ahead you - just fine for 12th gear - you lose max 2-3 km/h, so now cruise control gives full thottle (thats OK), and there comes the problem. Full throttle means downshift for adaptive auto gearbox - to 11th grear. This mens losing more speed. Thats annoying and ineffiecent. On the other hand, it works perfect at lower speeds - hills, cities, small roads. I really appriciate work you gave to this.

Here you have two videos where I compared sequential and adaptive auto gearboxes - at highway (1.video), at moutain pass (2.video)

Return to “General discussion about the game”