VR - experimental support

cpldubriel

Re: Oculus Rift - experimental support

#1731 Post by cpldubriel » 05 May 2021 19:19

I have seen videos using my VR headset with a 360 degrees freedom, much like google's street view. I find this very comfortable compared to simulated 3d "stereoscopic " with two lenses.

Research on Oculus docs here :
https://developer.oculus.com/documentat ... ender-mono

For some applications, the stereoscopic aspect may not be particularly important and a monocular view might be acceptable in return for some performance. In other cases, some users may get eye strain from a stereo view and wish to switch to a monocular one. However, they still wish to wear the HMD as it gives them a high FOV and head-tracking.

So, I wonder, if there is such an option or configuaration possible with the current VR version of the game.
AfxTwn

#1732 Post by AfxTwn » 06 May 2021 07:13

cpldubriel wrote: 05 May 2021 12:05 Exactly, no depth in VR, but simply benefit from a 360 view with the headset.
Could you use something like Virtual Desktop https://www.oculus.com/experiences/ques ... cale=en_GB or https://store.steampowered.com/app/3821 ... l_Desktop/

This allows you to play standard PC games and applications on a virtual cinema-style screen in VR but it also has a 360 wraparound mode which may be just what you're after. You could just play ETS 2 in pancake mode on your computer, launch Virtual Desktop and use the 360 mode to enlarge the image and wrap it around you but without the VR-depth that makes it uncomfortable for you.
cpldubriel

#1733 Post by cpldubriel » 06 May 2021 15:18

I just tried Virtual Desktop which gives a widescreen view of the game in my headset, nevertheless the head tracking with the headset does not work in the game.

Virtual desktop detects mainly Oculus games library.
1-I tried launching the game directly from virtual desktop by browsing to the executable, no head tracking.
2-I tried launching the game through steam VR, (launched from virtual desktop), head tracking works, but then it still renders in stereoscopic 3d as before.

Thanks for any support on this.
xXCARL1992Xx

#1734 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 06 May 2021 17:03

ofc it wont work, games arent programmed to behave this way and i doubt it ever was the intention or else the whole VR concept would be a moot point
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
cpldubriel

#1735 Post by cpldubriel » 06 May 2021 17:43

It is feasible, Oculus docs confirms, but it may not be in the actual game code, or it may be?
xXCARL1992Xx

#1736 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 06 May 2021 17:52

i doubt Komat would bother doing it, because the goal for him was more immersiv gameplay and monoscoping rendering doesnt do it
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
AfxTwn

#1737 Post by AfxTwn » 07 May 2021 07:58

What part of this game in VR is uncomfortable for you? Maybe it's something that can be addressed by adjusting some settings to increase the frame rate etc. I know graphically the game doesn't look great in VR (certainly compared to a lot of other made-for-VR games anyway) and this may add to your discomfort. Also with regard to playing the game in Virtual Desktop, have you turned off VR mode for the game, as in disabling the "-oculus" or "-openvr" parameters so it goes back to being a purely desktop game? This may then allow you to launch it in VD in 360 mode. If you are trying to launch the game in VD while it's still set to play in VR, then that might be why it's not working.

Failing that, it sounds like you'd prefer it to just be on a big screen (preferably wrapped around you 360 degrees) to get a more immersive but more comfortable non-VR experience. If you just want to be able to move the camera with your head then you can still play on your desktop with your monitor but get something like TrackIR or Tobii Eye Tracker. One final option could have been something like VorpX but they don't support ETS 2 or ATS unfortunately (but many more desktop games do have support), so maybe you could ask them about support but seeing as ETS 2 already has VR support, I doubt they would do this.

As has been suggested, I doubt Komat would add support in VR for what you want as there just wouldn't be enough people wanting that (there probably already aren't enough people wanting full VR which is why it doesn't get dedicated development into a full release). If you can get it working in Virtual Desktop then that may be the best option.
KingOfTheRoad77

#1738 Post by KingOfTheRoad77 » 07 May 2021 16:26

Hi everybody, hello @Komat ,

I just signed in today to support the wish for implementing VR fully into both games, ETS2 and ATS :+1:

Why?

I cannot remember exactly, but I started playing ETS2 certainly almost five or six years ago. At this time, I only had "flat 2D" 47" FullHD monitor gaming and TrackIR - but it was sufficient to fall in love with ETS2.
Since almost three or four years now, I switched over to VR: First Pimax 4K, then Pimax 5K+, and since last September Pimax 8K-X.
And the immersion got better and better, with each new HMD generation and each of SCS's improvement to the game (graphics, sounds, DLC's). Or better said: Both games, including ATS as well, of course ;)

A couple of weeks ago, I put my VR headset aside for two weeks, and I tried coming back to ETS2/ATS with "flat 2D" monitor gaming and TrackIR.
What shall I say: It was a big big mess:
I was not able to estimate distances any more;
crawled with only 20 km/h / 10 MPH towards bends and crossroads :lol: ;
yes, textures were a little, noticeable bit sharper in FullHD on 47" at 80cm sitting distance - but everything was so damn shit small and 'in a country far far away' ;)! ;
and driving backwards and parking any trailer got a pain, even with TrackIR...

=> I simply wasn't sitting IN the trucks anymore, I even wasn't in the world anymore - I was sitting in front of a "window" watching everything through it. And even though I have TrackIR, all head movements feel much more natural in VR, i.e. for passing, turning, driving backwards, etc.

If ever I am asked which VR game(s) would be the best in the world right now, my answer would be:

ETS2 and ATS (together with Elite Dangerous) !!

Both Truck Simulators are ment to be played in VR: They simulate real Open World to an extent and degree, only Google Earth might come beyond (and only perhaps, because in Google Earth you cannot drive around in a truck ;))

Everybody, who doesn't have the opportunity to open the truck's side windows "really" in VR when stopping at a border or péage, together with the improved FMOD sounds, turning his head 80-90° to the customs or péage official, greeting him/her, waiting for approval while almost feeling the slight cool air coming into the cabin at night, closing the window while slowly accelerating afterwards - just as one would do in real life - guys - those persons really really miss something out :D

So, tldr;
Please please include VR fully into both Truck Simulators! :)

And - if you have the ressources - an additional, last request:
Contact NVidia for supporting VRSS officially, and Pimax for supporting Fixed Foveated Rendering properly. Both technologies would largely help increasing FPS, especially for headsets such as the Pimax; but in the end, all VR gamers might benefit from it because they could increase in-game graphics details and stay at 60/75/90 FPS :)

Thanks for considering and improving :)
Benouyt

#1739 Post by Benouyt » 11 May 2021 18:39

I dont know if its normal but i noticed in vr that the windshield look flat and without edge. We can see it mostly when it rain.
Frayner

#1740 Post by Frayner » 11 May 2021 19:12

This is normal behaviour as the game was designed not with VR in mind and that is how the windshield works in the rain. Hopefully one day it will be fixed so that the ran actually touches the real windshield.
Intel i9 13900K, 32 GB RAM, MSI RTX™ 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID X 24G, Bigscreen Beyond

Return to “General discussion about the game”