VR - experimental support

AfxTwn

Re: Oculus Rift - experimental support

#1801 Post by AfxTwn » 09 Aug 2021 16:00

I don't know if anyone here has heard about the AMD FSR software (similar to Nvidia's DLSS) which helps with performance by lowering your resolution and then upscaling it back to your default resolution (from what I understand of it). It can have a big impact in VR in particular.

You can find a version of the software here: https://github.com/fholger/openvr_fsr (it's open-source and so third-party developers have been able to work on it and apply it to other things).

I have tried it with ETS 2 and ATS in VR and it really helps with keeping frame rates more stable and in particular, frame timings lower and more consistent. I tried with my Valve Index with the default resolution set at 100% resolution per-eye and the per-application SS for each game set to 200% for ETS 2 and 170% for ATS (ATS always runs worse for me and tends to use more CPU over GPU whereas ETS 2 is the opposite and runs better). I set the refresh rate to 80Hz as it runs better and for these games I don't really need 90 or above. I am using an Intel 9700K at default clock speeds, 16GB RAM and an RTX 2070 Super. Oh and I haven't changed any settings in the game config files such as Manual Stereo Buffer Scale to set the amount of SS as I find I get better results using SteamVR's settings instead. I also haven't run any game mods with it such as third-party maps or anything else, I just play vanilla.

I found I got a constant 40fps with Motion Smoothing on, in-game graphics all set to high except weather which is low and MSAA antialiasing on high as well but SSAO disabled (the AMD FSR file I linked to says to turn antialiasing on in VR). My frame timings were all around 10-12ms (sometimes less) for both CPU and GPU and there was much less or hardly any reprojection and hardly any dropped frames. When compared with the same settings but without using AMD FSR (and disabling MSAA), I would see a lot more reprojection, dropped frames and fluctuation with my fps causing me to have to lower the amount of SS I use to around 150% or lower.

The image quality is pretty good, I can't say if it's much better, though it is sharper but I think the point of this mod is to improve performance more than anything else. Mileage may vary on a system by system basis and from videos I've seen on YouTube it seems low to mid-end gaming systems will benefit more than top-end systems so anyone using an RTX 3090 probably won't notice much difference but tbh high-end systems don't really need a mod like this as they should be able to run most games fine anyway.

Just wanted to let people know about it and would recommend people give it a try and see if it offers any performance improvements for them. You can use it in all VR games that run D3D 11 so I think that's most of them but newer titles such as Half Life Alyx can't use it as they can't use the openvr_dll.api file necessary to run the mod.
cliff60

#1802 Post by cliff60 » 09 Aug 2021 16:11

is the HP reverb G2 supported in -open VR? my Rift S no longer boots up the screen sound but no picture just a grey oval with white lights blinking on and off so bought a G2. waiting for it to be delivered. should be delivered sometime in the next 2 to 3 weeks when they come back into stock.

Hope it does as ETS 2 and ATS is the only VR games i play and cant get used to playing them on a flat screen.
Insane1

#1803 Post by Insane1 » 11 Aug 2021 10:06

AfxTwn wrote: 09 Aug 2021 16:00 I don't know if anyone here has heard about the AMD FSR software (similar to Nvidia's DLSS)
Awesome finding Afx! Surely worth testing. Gonna check it on weekend.
By the way I've once tryed to enable DLSS in VR mode in Warthunder, and picture was all messy and artefacted.
Of course it wasn't VR optimized DLSS, but my eyes still bleeding. )
HTC VIve Pro \ Thrustmaster T150 PRO
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, Palit Gamingpro RTX 3080, 32GB Kingston Fury Renegade 4000MHz, 256GB PLEXTOR PX-256M9PeY + 1TB ADATA SX8200PNP
AfxTwn

#1804 Post by AfxTwn » 11 Aug 2021 19:14

Insane1 wrote: 11 Aug 2021 10:06
AfxTwn wrote: 09 Aug 2021 16:00 I don't know if anyone here has heard about the AMD FSR software (similar to Nvidia's DLSS)
Awesome finding Afx! Surely worth testing. Gonna check it on weekend.
By the way I've once tryed to enable DLSS in VR mode in Warthunder, and picture was all messy and artefacted.
Of course it wasn't VR optimized DLSS, but my eyes still bleeding. )
I haven't tried DLSS in any games so I can't vouch for any bleeding from the eyes as a result of it. Have you tried rubbing salt into them? I've heard this is a catch-all cure for anything involving bleeding wounds!
Insane1

#1805 Post by Insane1 » 11 Aug 2021 19:38

AfxTwn wrote: 11 Aug 2021 19:14 Have you tried rubbing salt into them? I've heard this is a catch-all cure for anything involving bleeding wounds!
Sure thing! See? Isn't they are healthy now? )
dfsfsdx.png
dfsfsdx.png (155.85 KiB) Viewed 2028 times
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, Palit Gamingpro RTX 3080, 32GB Kingston Fury Renegade 4000MHz, 256GB PLEXTOR PX-256M9PeY + 1TB ADATA SX8200PNP
cyrex1984

#1806 Post by cyrex1984 » 14 Aug 2021 14:24

Does ets2 vr support openxr?
Insane1

#1807 Post by Insane1 » 15 Aug 2021 07:50

AfxTwn wrote: 09 Aug 2021 16:00 I don't know if anyone here has heard about the AMD FSR software (similar to Nvidia's DLSS) which helps with performance by lowering your resolution and then upscaling it back to your default resolution (from what I understand of it). It can have a big impact in VR in particular.
Well, it works! So thanks for the hint Afx. )
It's gets about 10% performance imrove for me, so i'm finally see green frames time on 90Hz. (I prefer smootness above resolution =)
Not sure about MSAA, I don't see any picture improvements with it, only less sharpeness.
There is also "radius" parameter in config that worth tuning.
I've set to 0.3 thinking to decrease to 0.2, we'll see.
AfxTwn

#1808 Post by AfxTwn » 15 Aug 2021 16:19

I'm glad it works for you, I think it should work for most people really unless as I said, you have a very high-end system in which case you don't really need it anyway.

I haven't changed any of the FSR config settings from their default settings but maybe radius is something worth trying although I don't know how much of an improvement I would get dropping it from it's current 0.5 setting to say 0.2? I might try turning off MSAA as well then to get a bit more out of it as AA in VR generally isn't great anyway.

I'd love to be able to have much higher supersampling/resolution as for me it's still very pixelated in front of me and the road signs etc are difficult to read until I get right up close to them. That may just be a limitation of the game though as in all other VR games, I don't have such an issue.

Just a note as well for those interested FSR only works with 64 bit games, I tried on a few 32 bit games and they just crash or don't load up at all so I checked the GitHub notes and it's mentioned there that it doesn't work on anything other than 64 bit files.
Gsantos

#1809 Post by Gsantos » 16 Aug 2021 00:13

@AfxTwn Thx for the tip. Like you said it's very pleased to have more supersampling
Django9898

#1810 Post by Django9898 » 17 Aug 2021 10:55

Thx SCS for this great VR experience.👍
Played the whole Weekend and can't Stop playing ETS2 in VR now.
Never flat again 😊

Return to “General discussion about the game”