VR - experimental support

Frayner

Re: Oculus Rift - experimental support

#1521 Post by Frayner » 29 Jul 2020 15:21

@yzaazy You will have to go into steam vr gracias settings and turn off motion smoothing. That will get rid of the flickering you are seeing.
Intel i9 13900K, 32 GB RAM, MSI RTX™ 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID X 24G, Bigscreen Beyond
yzaazy

#1522 Post by yzaazy » 29 Jul 2020 16:04

Thank you, this was the last thing I needed, everything is now running great :D
Last edited by supersobes on 20 Aug 2020 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quote [Forum rule 2.12]
JonDadley

#1523 Post by JonDadley » 06 Aug 2020 16:41

@Komat any update on these potential DX11 VR improvements? I've been playing a lot in VR again recently and it's such a great experience apart from the obvious performance issues. It'd be great to see single-pass VR rendering introduced as you mentioned as that can have significant perormance improvements. Thanks again for your hard work and maintaince of the VR branch :)
Last edited by supersobes on 20 Aug 2020 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quote [Forum rule 2.12]
keem85

#1524 Post by keem85 » 10 Aug 2020 09:02

Issues in VR when running Reflections on high. Beamlights and headlights are not working, unless Reflections are set to "low".. Also, if I set Weather to High or Ultra, the stereo reflections of cars and landscapes on the road are duplicated, looking really weird in stereo VR.
tipakA

#1525 Post by tipakA » 20 Aug 2020 10:39

Hello, i recently got WMR headset and wanted to try out ETS2 in VR, however i am unable to launch it at all. I have downloaded oculus 1.38 beta, but as soon as i pass -openvr to launch options in steam, game completely refuses to launch. game.log.txt literally gets cut in the middle of executing /home/config.cfg, and nothing gets written to game.crash.txt at all.
If i remove the launch option, game launches in theatre mode, and stays in that even if i get into a truck.
Additionally tried using oculus 1.37 beta, same effect.

Is there something all the guides on internet are missing? Assetto Corsa is able to run using OpenVR, so i don't think that that is an issue with the fact that i have WMR headset.
Ryzen 5 2600 | 32GB RAM | GTX 1660 | 3x 1080p 24" | Lenovo Explorer WMR VR
Logitech G29 + H-Shifter

Full specs (steam profile)
cytosin

#1526 Post by cytosin » 20 Aug 2020 20:42

Hi. ETS2 suddenly stopped launching in VR (Oculus Rift S) for me today. It only shows on my monitor, but the VR head tracking works.
I've tried rebooting my computer and I've checked that I still have the oculus version installed, also I have the -oculus launch option. I also verified the game files on Steam. Haven't changed any configuration files or anything. Yesterday it still worked fine.
ATS still works for me in Oculus though.

Edit: Okay, I just randomly pressed some buttons and F11 returned it to VR. I must have mis-clicked it at some point. Anyway, emergency averted.
Komat
SCS Software

#1527 Post by Komat » 22 Aug 2020 20:37

JonDadley wrote: 06 Aug 2020 16:41 It'd be great to see single-pass VR rendering introduced as you mentioned as that can have significant perormance improvements.
I did some initial testing at the end of the previous year however the results were not good. Even the test which did just the duplicate rendering without using proper eye offset values (so it had somewhat lower overhead than what would be in the real version) was running at very similar performance to the full duplicated rendering. It turns out that our rendering already contains a ton of non-stereo things like mirrors, reflections and shadowmaps which take most of the rendering time.
keem85 wrote: 10 Aug 2020 09:02 Issues in VR when running Reflections on high. Beamlights and headlights are not working, unless Reflections are set to "low".
I was unable to replicate that. Previously there was issue with non-working headlights however it should be fixed in 1.38 versions.
Also, if I set Weather to High or Ultra, the stereo reflections of cars and landscapes on the road are duplicated, looking really weird in stereo VR.
Currently there is a known issue with the rain reflection when using OpenVR. The game renders the reflection just once and uses it for both views without any reprojection which breaks if each eye has a different FOV values. Oculus API supports overriding the FOV values so the game can force a symmetrical ones however OpenVR does not have such capability.
tipakA wrote: 20 Aug 2020 10:39 Hello, i recently got WMR headset and wanted to try out ETS2 in VR, however i am unable to launch it at all. I have downloaded oculus 1.38 beta, but as soon as i pass -openvr to launch options in steam, game completely refuses to launch. game.log.txt literally gets cut in the middle of executing /home/config.cfg, and nothing gets written to game.crash.txt at all.
If i remove the launch option, game launches in theatre mode, and stays in that even if i get into a truck.
You are supposed to uncheck the "Use Desktop Game Theatre while SteamVR is active" checkbox for the game. The first line after config.cfg output is supposed to be the result of the detection of the OpenVR devices. If the game disappears without a game.crash.txt entry then it is possible, that there is some incompatibility between the OpenVR driver for your HMD and the game.
JonDadley

#1528 Post by JonDadley » 24 Aug 2020 11:08

Komat wrote: 22 Aug 2020 20:37 I did some initial testing at the end of the previous year however the results were not good. Even the test which did just the duplicate rendering without using proper eye offset values (so it had somewhat lower overhead than what would be in the real version) was running at very similar performance to the full duplicated rendering. It turns out that our rendering already contains a ton of non-stereo things like mirrors, reflections and shadowmaps which take most of the rendering time.
Ahh, that's very interesting! Thanks for the update! It's a shame there weren't significant performance improvements. Are there any other plans you have for the future of the VR support? I love ETS2 in VR (it's the only way I play) but I'd do anything to see the few performance issues ironed out :)
Last edited by supersobes on 26 Aug 2020 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed pyramid quote [Forum rule 2.12]
tipakA

#1529 Post by tipakA » 26 Aug 2020 19:56

Komat wrote: 22 Aug 2020 20:37 You are supposed to uncheck the "Use Desktop Game Theatre while SteamVR is active" checkbox for the game.
Thank you, disabling that made it launch in VR after getting into a truck, despite steam no longer claiming that the game supports VR at all. Not sure why none of the online guides i read covered that small part at all.
Komat wrote: 22 Aug 2020 20:37 The first line after config.cfg output is supposed to be the result of the detection of the OpenVR devices.
Well, before i unchecked the theathre option, it did not list anything there at all (and again, if launched with -openvr option it was cut out literally in the middle of the config file), now that i disabled theatre it lists
game.log.txt wrote: 00:00:03.638 : [openvr] Runtime: 1.13.10 System: 'holographic' Model: 'Lenovo Explorer0' Driver: unknown
00:00:03.639 : [openvr] Recommended rendering resolution 1528x1528
00:00:03.640 : [hmd] Selected HMD
00:00:03.640 : [hmd] Driver: openvr IVRSystem_021 runtime 1.13.10 system 'holographic' model 'Lenovo Explorer0' driver unknown
00:00:03.640 : [hmd] Device:

Thanks again!
Ryzen 5 2600 | 32GB RAM | GTX 1660 | 3x 1080p 24" | Lenovo Explorer WMR VR
Logitech G29 + H-Shifter

Full specs (steam profile)
sketch

#1530 Post by sketch » 28 Aug 2020 18:09

Hi there, I recently got an Oculus Rift S, but both my games crash when I try to load my profile.

ETS2: https://pastebin.com/fRXaKCPP

ATS: https://pastebin.com/tspL7jLT

I hope it's OK that I report this here. I did confirm that Oculus works in ATS with a new profile, so it appears to be a problem with my profiles in either game (though I haven't confirmed it in ETS2 yet).

Return to “General discussion about the game”