VR - experimental support

plykkegaard

Re: Oculus Rift - experimental support

#1771 Post by plykkegaard » 14 Jul 2021 10:37

Did you file a bug report?
It might be the only way to get the problem solved
It is nothing new that the VR build runs into problems the first weeks of a new release

Automated tests and build servers can only get a step on the way and usually takes care of logical problems, eg object not created, variable not initialized etc
I case of a communication problem hardware it won't help you

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
big_carrot

#1772 Post by big_carrot » 14 Jul 2021 10:40

If they accept bug reports for the oculus branch, I'm happy to do so. It'll have to be later, though.
Lombra

#1773 Post by Lombra » 14 Jul 2021 12:54

Why they're unwilling to put more resources into this is beyond me, but it is what it is, and I don't know that this particular thread is the right place to discuss taking it to the next level.

That being said, I would say it is pretty official, given that it has its own Steam branch. (rather than just a plugin or something) It is also experimental, though. You can call it "an excuse", (and I might agree) but just like their experimental open betas, it doesn't mean that it's not supported, just that issues are more likely to arise.

I don't remember how the VR branch works exactly, but Komat usually lets us know when it's been updated for the latest game version.
big_carrot

#1774 Post by big_carrot » 14 Jul 2021 16:18

I get this - I really do. I'm sorry that I came off intense earlier, and I know issues will arise. But I think SCS do generate some goodwill, sales, community engagement etc. from having semi-official VR support, even if it's not that much in the grand scheme of things, and I think the least they can do is ensure that the Oculus build they're releasing in their name doesn't contain game-breaking bugs right off the bat; even if it's never going to be a polished full VR game with all the bells and whistles. I've never had an issue like this with the oculus branch as long as I've been playing it - at least four years or so.
Frayner

#1775 Post by Frayner » 14 Jul 2021 16:23

That’s just it, it’s not SCS that is releasing these VR builds, it’s one developer doing this on his spare time with probably just his pc. SCS does not officially support VR they just give him a beta branch to use.

Issues like this have cropped up before, we just have to wait for Komat, the one developer who works on it to fix it.

We’ve actually been quite lucky that he’s been able to release the VR builds with the official releases. We usually had to wait at least 2-4 days after the official release till the VR release would drop
Intel i9 13900K, 32 GB RAM, MSI RTX™ 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID X 24G, Bigscreen Beyond
Madkine
Global moderator

#1776 Post by Madkine » 14 Jul 2021 22:17

As an aside I can see from other messages that others are able to play in the 1.41 VR beta, so whatever the issue is it's not global. And therefore Komat may not have encountered it or know about it.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Frayner

#1777 Post by Frayner » 14 Jul 2021 23:17

So it turns out to be a mod issue and the updated version of the mod also doesn’t work. Which is unfortunate, since it’s my route advisor mod, which put the lines up and out of the way, but I guess I have to live with it in my face now.
Intel i9 13900K, 32 GB RAM, MSI RTX™ 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID X 24G, Bigscreen Beyond
big_carrot

#1778 Post by big_carrot » 15 Jul 2021 07:39

You're right, it probably is just my setup, then. Apologies.
plykkegaard

#1779 Post by plykkegaard » 15 Jul 2021 08:12

This is exactly why a game log form the crash is so important
Sorry I wasn't persistent about this

Also try to reporduce on a vanilla profile it makes it easier to help and give a reasonable guess to what could be the problem

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
big_carrot

#1780 Post by big_carrot » 15 Jul 2021 09:12

I think it may have been a driver issue. My apologies for pointing fingers. Was about to file a bug report, but I can no longer reproduce it as I previously could.

Return to “General discussion about the game”