VR - experimental support

Reallionaire901

Re: Oculus Rift - experimental support

#631 Post by Reallionaire901 » 25 Nov 2017 03:03

Just got this sim today, all my vr games work except this one. I have the oculus cv1 and o opted into the beta. Then i set launch parameters to -oculus. The game launches and oculus launches. But then it says ATE is taking to long and then it tells me to remove my headset. It never loads in the headset but i can hear it running through my speakers so it hasn't frozen. F11 didn't do anything, can someone please help! I watched this on YouTube so long and went and bought the oculus just for this game. Please help
rockandrole18

#632 Post by rockandrole18 » 25 Nov 2017 11:12

@Reallionaire901 Did you enable launching applications from 'Unknown Sources' in the Oculus application?
legacygt

#633 Post by legacygt » 27 Nov 2017 19:01

Reallionaire901 wrote: 25 Nov 2017 03:03 Just got this sim today, all my vr games work except this one. I have the oculus cv1 and o opted into the beta. Then i set launch parameters to -oculus. The game launches and oculus launches. But then it says ATE is taking to long and then it tells me to remove my headset. It never loads in the headset but i can hear it running through my speakers so it hasn't frozen. F11 didn't do anything, can someone please help! I watched this on YouTube so long and went and bought the oculus just for this game. Please help
I second this - having the same issues.
tried -oculus, made sure launching ap from unknown sources is checked off, still nothing. Just like Reallionaire901 it says ATS is taking too long to load, but the sound plays through the headset. I just got the oculus and it works for Project Cars 2, but not for Assetto Corsa or this game. Would the -openvr code work possibly? will try this when i get in tonight.
legacygt

#634 Post by legacygt » 28 Nov 2017 16:10

Ahh finally figured it out, but now im sitting in the trailer lol.
F12 will fix this supposedly?
rockandrole18

#635 Post by rockandrole18 » 29 Nov 2017 14:26

@legacygt
It would be helpful if you could share how you managed to fix the issue to help the guy from above or any other person with the same issue.
F12 is the default key for resetting the view in VR. In case you want to change it (it conflicts with the default Steam screenshot key I think), that's possible. In your documents folder, there should be a folder named "American Truck Simulator", in it you should find a folder named 'profiles' and then a folder with a long name that includes capital letters and numbers. There you should see a file named 'controls.sii', open it with Notepad, press Ctrl+F and find "mix headreset" (without quotes), in the same line there should be this: 'keyboard.f12?0' . Replace it with a different key value, look around the file to see possible values. For example in order to assign it to the "DEL" key, you need, you need to replace the previous value with: `keyboard.del?0`.
legacygt

#636 Post by legacygt » 29 Nov 2017 16:21

Actually the way I fixed it was through the GeForce Experience application. I launched it through there and it worked. Once thing to remember is that you won't get any of the menus through the rift, so you need to access everything through your monitor until you are ready to drive. I also opened the SteamVR app and made sure to add -oculus to the launch (did that before and still had the issue) and made sure to enable launch from unknown sources on the Oculus App (same thing). Unfortunately i'm still sitting way further back than i'd like to, F12 doesn't reset it and the map is dead in the way. It works, but with some issues.
Ill have to fix the key in profiles later.

@Reallionare901 do you have a NVidia or AMD graphics card? If the former i'd recommend trying it through the GeForce App. It also helped me to get the rift working in Dirt and now Assetto Corsa.

Hope this helps, and thanks to everyone for all the advice!
dhrto

#637 Post by dhrto » 29 Nov 2017 21:32

Actually the whole game, even the intro movie, is viewable inside the Rift. Only the first step, where you have to launch the game from Steam, needs to be done from the desktop.

When you launched the game from Steam, did you do so from desktop or in the SteamVR mode? The latter should be avoided, or in any case you should uncheck the 'Use Desktop Game Theater while SteamVR is active' option in the 'General' tab of the game properties in Steam.

Also the game seems to take the position of your headset as center, at the moment of launch.

And in-game you can use F4 to adjust seat position (and mirror position and other stuff, just press F4 multiple times).
System specs: Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX3080 (no OC), Varjo Aero (using OpenXR through OpenComposite instead of SteamVR), 32 GB DDR3200, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB, Win10. And most importantly: vanilla game, no mods.
legacygt

#638 Post by legacygt » 29 Nov 2017 21:36

@dhrto

I launched through the GeForce Experience app...Not sure if it has the same issues as steam.
Either way the info about position of headset at center at moment of launch is interesting. Hypothetically speaking if i lean back in my chair while launching the game that could be the reason why I am basically driving from way back in the cabin?
I wonder if I lean forward while launching if that will have a positive effect on camera placement? Ill have to fool around with it later this evening.
I do appreciate the info!
angrybirdseller

#639 Post by angrybirdseller » 30 Nov 2017 00:00

Windows mixed realty VR works for both games just download 1.29 beta oculus/vice version. First, download oculus/vive version. Second, under advanced settings type -openvr. Third, launch game then have your vr controller push down hat switch, but have to download mixed Windows realty steam vr so you can go and reset the view. Once the view reset got set scaling at 100% and resolution 2880x1440p, but at this point it's tweaking similar to other vr headsets.

When you launch ATS or ETS2 need to have steam vr off for now until there fixes made to the beta.

Resolution is not like 1080p qaulity, but you do feel the size of the truck and cabin view with sleeper almost want to pull the truck into rest stop and take a nap.

Gonna take better gpu and better technologies to improve it, but think it has great potential just don't hope don't end up like vr did in the 1990s.

Jaggies and shimmies hoping in five years technology and hardware can reduce these effects.
legacygt

#640 Post by legacygt » 30 Nov 2017 16:00

1 thing that still bugs me is the placement of the route advisor. I have searched high and low and cannot find anything to change placement. Is there anything available or do I need to just deal with it?
Other than that, VR is now working excellent, although it takes a toll on my system
i7700K, 16GB ram, SSD, gtx1070

Return to “General discussion about the game”