The WiFi Daf

Izmaragon

The WiFi Daf

#1 Post by Izmaragon » 23 Apr 2015 15:52

More can be found on this at The Daf Site

This is some crazy stuff....
My WoT

Show trucks are working trucks, they simply do the same job in a slightly more noticeable and stylish fashion.
SimulatorSam

Re: The WiFi Daf

#2 Post by SimulatorSam » 23 Apr 2015 16:28

That's amazing! :D
Reef

#3 Post by Reef » 23 Apr 2015 16:54

Yeah that's great, lets just put half the LGV drivers out of work, gotta love progress eh.
Izmaragon

#4 Post by Izmaragon » 23 Apr 2015 19:04

Not the case Reef, at least how I evaluated the article [without really reading it =P]. The second driver needs to be there for turning corners and monitoring the second truck in general as a backup to computer systems.

Elsewise, when lead truck turns a corner, the follower to start turning onto the curb.... So for that part of a trip route, there has to be a human.

Also, the principle used is quite simple, theyre taking the fact of drafting and using it to assist in better fuel economy, which is why, for purposes implied by safety, the wifi system is being tested.

I don't think it would affect jobs too much... YET.... But computers will never replace human drivers in the foreseeable future completely. As long as human drivers are driving, there's always the human randomness factor that computer controlled cannot quite fully account for. You do have a point though about the future...
My WoT

Show trucks are working trucks, they simply do the same job in a slightly more noticeable and stylish fashion.
ohaha

#5 Post by ohaha » 23 Apr 2015 19:45

I think Volvo already did it, with cars following a truck.
Retired, but still loving it.
Izmaragon

#6 Post by Izmaragon » 26 Apr 2015 21:33

Thats for cars drafting off semi trucks though right?

Still, I think its an accomplishment considering here in the US, afaik, that sort of system is possibly not legal due to all the massive trucking regulations we have here... Again, I'm likely wrong, but I think there are official rules for trucks following each other over here...
My WoT

ohaha

#7 Post by ohaha » 27 Apr 2015 04:08

There's also a second truck, in the convoy, iirc.
Anyway, it's about the principle.
As for legal regulations, if this proves safe, they will adapt them.
This is a major fuel efficiency increase, not to mention driver fatigue etc. If this comes out I already see companies offering such a service - leading vehicles with driver doing exclusively this thing.
Retired, but still loving it.
Legolover134

#8 Post by Legolover134 » 26 Jul 2016 21:35

This satisfies the DAF master.
Grand American World Shipping Lines

Return to “Real world”