New Volvo Trucks!

B787

Re: New Volvo Trucks!

#21 Post by B787 » 27 Mar 2020 10:04

Of course a screen is more expensive to repair. The worth of the piece may be not more expensive than an analog gauge, maybe it's even cheaper. But as it is an exclusive part/feature the manufactor make it way more expensive. It's all about pricing policy. ;)
eshvos

#22 Post by eshvos » 27 Mar 2020 10:13

B787 wrote: 27 Mar 2020 10:04But as it is an exclusive part/feature the manufactor make it way more expensive.
So is the "analog" instrument cluster ... Look at this instrument cluster from Volvo. It was used in the American and European Volvo Trucks from the 90s. It is Volvo-specific, "analog" (but digital-wired) and it doesn't seem like you can easily replace a single gauge.
Sure you can continue driving, if the very unlikely event happens that a single gauge breaks (it is much more likely for the controller or a sensor to fail), but when it comes to replacing that gauge, you will very likely also end up buying a new/used instrument cluster.

Btw. these were the last White/GMC instrument clusters with a speedo cable. Since 1992 they have been replaced with electronic ones.
Last edited by eshvos on 27 Mar 2020 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye. No interest in participating in a community where posts get silently deleted without any explanation.
B787

#23 Post by B787 » 27 Mar 2020 10:17

So, if this used cluster already costs more than $1.000 a screen will cost 80% more, maybe twice...
eshvos

#24 Post by eshvos » 27 Mar 2020 10:32

@B787 I don't think so, but let's wait a couple of years ... ;)

It is too early to tell (unless you call a dealership and ask), but if you look at this almost all-screen Scania instrument cluster, I don't think there will be much of a difference in pricing ...

Btw.: All these links are purely random, since I simply used one of the first search results for any instrument cluster. I didn't do any checks on the merchants and you can't do 1:1 price comparisons based on these links from very different geographical locations. ;)
Goodbye. No interest in participating in a community where posts get silently deleted without any explanation.
B787

#25 Post by B787 » 27 Mar 2020 10:46

Then take a look at cars how much a virtual cockpit will cost more... :roll: And as I mentioned it earlier I have trouble with such a thing, maybe that's why I'm against it now. If a mechanical part breaks you can simply replace it. Fixing this electronic rubbish is way more difficult and people who should repair it have no idea. :roll:
At the first occurance I called the next dealer around my hometown. They told me that they never heard of this problem and they need to see it IRL. As it happened the second time I drove directly to them (about 40km away) but they said that they have no time at the moment. So I went with all screens black back home. The third time they said "Okay, come here and we take a look." So I gave them my car. At the first look they just had questionmarks in their faces and no idea what's going on. No error or something else. They send me home with a different car and at the next day they called me "Well, no idea why but everything is working now." Just a matter of time when everything is black again. Then I must contact the manufactor directly because this is just rubbish and dangerous! :evil:
eshvos

#26 Post by eshvos » 27 Mar 2020 11:00

B787 wrote: 27 Mar 2020 10:46If a mechanical part breaks you can simply replace it. Fixing this electronic rubbish is way more difficult and people who should repair it have no idea. :roll:
The initial discussion was about screens vs "analog" gauges and my point was that these "analog" gauges are actually digital, but hidden behind an analog facade (needle vs screen). The technology behind that facade ("backend") could be exactly the same, so you could have exactly the same electric issues, if you'd remove your screen and wire needles in place (it's not that simple in reality), as long as the cluster's computer stays in place.

You can have the same electronic issues, no matter if you have a needle or a screen displaying the information, as long as you don't compare instrument clusters from 2020 with instrument clusters from 1980 (which most likely didn't have a computer back then) ...

It doesn't sound like your actual screens (facade) are failing, but more likely that the computer behind the screen fails to drive the screen (/ power supply is flawed, etc.) and this can happen with "analog" gauges (needles) as well, as long as they are not mechanically driven (which they haven't been for the last 25 years).
B787

#27 Post by B787 » 27 Mar 2020 11:47

Maybe. But my point is still that such stuff makes everything way more expensive than it's really worth... You are forced to pay for something that you actually doesn't need. :?
Polarlicht

#28 Post by Polarlicht » 27 Mar 2020 19:16

We went offtrack here 😖
Aaaanyway, will the new gen have full led headlights? I think the old gen had halogen and xenon only!? I cant find a configurator or pricelist🤔
And looks like the still sell the outgoing model!?
Garrington_Levy

#29 Post by Garrington_Levy » 26 Jul 2020 21:27

This new era of ipad cars/trucks/etc is going to cause so many more deaths on the road, people of lesser grey matter will spend more time gawping at the pretty pretty monitors and displays in their dash/centre console than the road or their mobile phone (which is bad enough), seems to me like the idea hasn't remotely been thought out at all, surely they're worse than mobile phones because they're designed to be looked at intently and fiddled with repeatedly. Does't telsa have a game on the centre console of one of their models that can be played while driving? hardly a smart move if modern safety testing is to be up held.

Granted I've not looked at any statistics or the likes, but surely common sense has lost its way and ended up on a 6 month long pub crawl?
Has anyone ever been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Polaco

#30 Post by Polaco » 10 Oct 2020 22:28

The newer vehicles have many safety feature (with emergency brake being just one of them). Yes, it could lead people to pay more attention to a single screen instead of their whole windscreen, and if there's one thing that is just cost cutting and stupid IMHO, are the touch controls. For infotaiment? Yes. For simple commands (radio, air, lights) ? Definitely no. They're meant to be operated without the need to leave your eyes off of the road.

But I think, specially for commercial vehicles, it leads to another problem: excessive luminosity at night. Take a look at video below to understand a bit more (and ask yourself why they developed such feature and later on brought screens everywhere). Besides that, even though it looks modern, the fact is that's a cheap feature. YES, cheap (not acessible). Take as example the watches (analog versus digital). When the digital was released, it was very advanced and represented a technological "revolution". Today we can easily find analog watches being much more expensive.
These screen looks great, the idea sounds awesome, because it is new. Give it some time and people will start to hate screens everywhere: on their home, on their pockets, work, etc.

Another example are Mercedes cars: they're such beautiful and have many features. I'd own myself one if I could. But for me a huge turndown was the new MBUX. It just made the dashboard truly horrible, cheap. An example is a dashboard from C63 vs E63. One looks like a well-made project and design, the other just something draw by a kid because the designer forgot about the dashboard when the project was completed.

But I will give things time just to see some features rolling back to their origin. And for example, airplanes, which today have many digital screens - there's a reason why: informations there are MUCH more needed than in a truck, and many of them, and with new autonomous systems, they are kinda of a need, being much easier to read. The same world, different ones.

Return to “Real world”