My trucker years... good times!

Hounddog

Re: My trucker years... good times!

#231 Post by Hounddog » 11 Sep 2017 23:10

Very nice video !!
we've got rid of the kids.....our dogs were allergic

Gr Rob

My WOT   |   My ETS Screens-topic   |   My ATS Screens-topic   |   Hounddog Paintshop ETS   |   Hounddog Paintshop Las Vegas ATS
Pumizo
Beta tester

#232 Post by Pumizo » 12 Sep 2017 11:44

Thank you guys!

@daniminho
I never say never, but things changed a bit since then. I have my 2-year-old baby, my wife and I really love the opportunity to continue working in transport. It's different but it's also nice :)

Crossing the Eurotunnel
[ external image ]Eurotunnel Freight by Pumizo TIR, no Flickr

Some weeks later in Dover
[ external image ]Dover to Calais by Pumizo TIR, no Flickr

Another crossing; Dieppe to Newhaven
[ external image ]Seven Sisters Cabin by Pumizo TIR, no Flickr

NYE in the UK
[ external image ]DAF XF 460 Space Cab - Stoptrans by Pumizo TIR, no Flickr

In the southern part of Spain
[ external image ]DAF XF 460 Space Cab - Stoptrans by Pumizo TIR, no Flickr
Hakan

My trucker years... good times!

#233 Post by Hakan » 12 Sep 2017 15:29

What cool to Remember the old Memories, i think the Best time of this life was 2006-2009 further was going to s***t because it was so nice to feel on a trip anywere in europe, sadly that i didn't born at the 80s maybe i had to drive a truck, it's really big dream of my life, but looks like the future wil be messy..
but i want to live and enjoy atleast that Truck life before it goes forever.. :cry:
Pumizo
Beta tester

#234 Post by Pumizo » 27 Dec 2019 08:56

I bring this very old topic back to life! :geek:
Let's restart with my beginnings in the world of transportation. These photos are from my father's company and were taken by me somewhere between 1988 and 1992.
They represent the initial stage of the car transport business in Portugal, in a time where only 4 companies had car transporters in Portugal

PS: There are some missing images in previous posts (host issues), but as I have all these images, I will fix it soon.

Myself aboard a Renault S130 in 1998! :mrgreen:

[ external image ]

In 1988 the unique Nissan Jura (1987 Concept) was touring around Portuguese Nissan dealers.
The car stood at each dealer for a couple of days and head to the next one and my father transported the car all around during this period.
The car was travelling covered, but my father stopped and took the cover out in order to take this photo.
You can check more info about this Nissan concept here.
The small car transporter was my father first "truck" and it was a Nissan Cabstar.

[ external image ]

Empties running at the Portuguese A1

[ external image ]

Also around 1988, this photo shows the little Nissan Cabstar cabin on the left and at the centre the first car transporter that my father imported from Germany.
The truck was a Magirus Deutz 280 with a monstrous Air-Cooled V10 engine and it was an Ex. ADAC recovery truck.
The structure was a Lohr and it was hi-tech when compared with what we had back then.
Notice where the driver bed was, that "coffin" behind the cabin :?

[ external image ]

Here the Magirus already painted with the company colours, together with an Iveco 79-12.

[ external image ]

More photos soon!
JUseeTV

#235 Post by JUseeTV » 27 Dec 2019 09:04

Great memories! It must have felt special to be on tour with one of just four companies in the buisness.
I am not giving any sort of support, requests or Q&A through private messages, such messages will be ignored. Please use the appropriate topics, they are there for a reason.
Arnook

#236 Post by Arnook » 27 Dec 2019 10:27

Really cool to learn more about the history of transport in Portugal !

Crazy to think that only 4 companies had car-transporters back then ! Are they all still alive ?

Nice Lohr on the Magirus, the Lohr factory is not far away from where I live and it is a great one, managed to have a tour of it in 2018 and almost worked there...

Can't imagine the V10 sound in this cabin with the small amount of sound-deadening they had back then
daniminho

#237 Post by daniminho » 28 Dec 2019 19:12

Amazing, seeing those pics after all the stories you told me! Nice to see you try to keep this thread alive :)
Pumizo
Beta tester

#238 Post by Pumizo » 30 Dec 2019 08:37

@JUseeTV it was indeed amazing to live and grew along those years. The thing about seeing companies being built and all the evolution around it was such a rich experience.
Everything is so different now, but the knowledge and life experience will stay with me forever and has been very useful in my professional career during the last 25 years in the transport business.

@Arnook From all the 4 companies, only one is still active. It uses another name now and maybe you know them because they pass a lot in France. It's Rodocargo (https://www.rodocargo.pt)
Regarding Lohr, you're right because they are indeed a great brand. I've been loving their car carriers for so many years now and it's also amazing how much they changed and evolved through the years. Comparing now and then, all I can say is that car transporter drivers have now so much easier life. The technology evolved into something really easy for the driver and profitable for the companies.
I would love to visit the factory. My dad has been there in 1988 and it was already a true hi-tech company, with welding robots and other sci-fi examples. Can't imagine how it is now!
The Magirus engine was a beast. Not that much HP when compared to the actual engines, but that air turbine sound was amazing!

@daniminho Thank you for the kind words. You are one of the guys I know with the true passion and that deserves all my respect. I know and knew hundreds of drivers among the years. Few had this passion that makes us being around year after year and I really appreciate it on a person. Wish you all the best in your travelling adventures around Europe. You know my opinion and my advice about it :)

This was a MAN F8 imported from Belgium in 1989, the photo is from the same year.
It was parked there for nearly one year waiting for the Portuguese plates back then. Vehicle imports were giving the first steps in PT and the procedures were too damn bureaucratic!
It was very hard to manoeuvre with that trailer because all the drivers were accustomed to a semi's or regular tandem.

[ external image ]

Some months later already active and running. (yes the driver was taking a piss on the 3rd photo!) :mrgreen:
The photos were taken in the famous Portuguese "Algarve" and the cars were from an extinct rent-a-car called "Auto-Cerro".

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
JUseeTV

#239 Post by JUseeTV » 30 Dec 2019 08:56

Interesting to see a rather unusual axle setup on a car transporter haven't thought that something like that existed
I am not giving any sort of support, requests or Q&A through private messages, such messages will be ignored. Please use the appropriate topics, they are there for a reason.

Return to “Photos”