Editor wishlist

angrykarl
SCS Software

Editor wishlist

#1 Post by angrykarl » 09 Oct 2015 08:48

This topic is for modders that happen to work with editor. Is there anything you would like to change?
Feel free to propose features that you are missing or things that seem broken to you.
DavyJones

Re: Editor wishlist

#2 Post by DavyJones » 09 Oct 2015 09:01

A wishlist Thread openend by SCS? You surely have opened pandora's box, guys :lol:
Reinhard

#3 Post by Reinhard » 09 Oct 2015 09:11

:mrgreen: Pandora says: Great topic! Thank you!

Some ideas related to the camera handling...

For example when changing from world-view to bird-view: I often happen to miss the exact location I want to go to, because on a big screen, it is not so easy for me to guess the exact center. Solutions:
  • either: optional crosshair in the center of world view
  • or: open bird-view location where mouse-cursor currently is when 'c' (or may be even a different new key) is pressed
Another one: I would love to have a button to toggle "drop-to-ground" camera mode. I use the F9 dialog very often, but this affords several clicks, each time. Or is it even there and I just wasn't able to find it?

Third issue: "far" is not far enough for some objects. For some very big towers and mountains, I'd like to have a "superfar" option. Yes, I know that this is not without implications. But huge objects popping up in the game makes me cringe. :D
ScuL81

#4 Post by ScuL81 » 09 Oct 2015 09:39

When you do "Find all references" on a road item, can we please have some kind of toggle option between the ROAD or TERRAIN options ? :)
I would like to find all references that are roads but not those that are used as terrains.
ProMods ETS2 mod - Official ProMods website www.promods.net
Reef

#5 Post by Reef » 09 Oct 2015 09:45

I would like to be able to move/edit items whilst in "C" camera for close up precision placement (sorry if this is do-able now as it's been a long while since I meddled in the editor)
florence3099
Global moderator

#6 Post by florence3099 » 09 Oct 2015 09:50

If you select an item and then go to the C camera then you can move them with the arrow keys (or WASD, can't remember which)

If you want to change the item then you select it, open the properties window, alttab back to the editor window and go to the c camera and that should work. (at least it did back in the day)
Reef

#7 Post by Reef » 09 Oct 2015 09:57

Yes but I don't think you can switch between items (nodes) though or am I wrong? Think of multiple hay bales as an example.
MandelSoft
Beta tester

#8 Post by MandelSoft » 09 Oct 2015 11:08

Reinhard wrote:Third issue: "far" is not far enough for some objects. For some very big towers and mountains, I'd like to have a "superfar" option. Yes, I know that this is not without implications. But huge objects popping up in the game makes me cringe. :D
Second that request! Especially on far away buildings and terrain items, these can pop up out of nowhere in some cases, even when you max out the distance settings.

Now I also have a few things I'd like to add:
  • Extra "dead zone" for gizmo snap. Ever encountered the case where you quickly want to move an object node, but it snaps to one of the gizmo's axles? It happened quite often to me; it's annoying. I'd suggest that near the gizmo center, you could apply a "dead zone" where the gizmo axles don't snap; they should only snap when you explicitly drag the item along one specific axis.
  • Detect/remove/re-index duplicate items. Duplicate items are a very annoying game-breaking bug. Once a duplicate item is detected, nothing is loaded anymore and the truck falls through the terrain, possibly resulting into a game crash. Tracking down duplicate items is a pain, since they don't show up in the game log in the editor. It would be very helpful if there was a tool to detect them (and to delete them or re-index them with new UIDs).
  • Clean up map. Basically, a tool that automatically cleans up all empty items, objects with missing references and inconsistent links between nodes.
  • Terrain brush for prefabs. Road items can have terrain brushes, but prefabs can't at the moment. It would be nice to have such a feature.
  • Snap terrain to prefab ends. A new feature since a few versions ago is that if you have a road item where the terrain stops, if you snap a terrain item on the side, it would snap and inherit the road's orientation and terrain settings. This is super-useful for making nice looking bridge heads. However, this method doesn't work with prefabs yet. It would be very useful if you could do the same thing with prefabs as you can do with roads.
  • Fix prefab node orientation at snapping at another prefab. Sometimes when you snap two prefabs (for instance, when you are building a custom roundabout), the prefab you have selected changes rotation. However, the rotation change only applies to the connecting node, while all other nodes of that prefab keep the same orientation. It would be way less cumbersome if this thing gets fixed.
  • Bring back all three rotation axis for prefabs. Currently, only the Y rotation is used, but I often rotate my prefabs a bit in the X and Z rotation too to follow the terrain better. I can do it in more roundabout ways, but it would be useful if this is brought back
  • Change graphics settings while in the editor, or set your graphics settings in the main menu instead of a profile. Between some patches, my graphics settings are reset somehow. Now, it's quite a hassle to open a profile and change the graphics settings there to fix it. I'd suggest to move the graphics settings elsewhere or make it accessible in more locations.
  • Ignore a sign's traffic rule. It can happen that a traffic rule on a sign has an undesired effect. For this, I suggest to add a toggle in the sign item properties to disable the traffic rule for a specific sign, so this rule is being ignored.
  • Extra traffic rules. Some traffic rules can help to improve the AI behaviour or add more flexibility to some traffic conditions:
    • No overtaking trucks. Restrict trucks from overtaking, while cars are still allowed to overtake. Also comes with a traffic rule to lift this limitation.
    • Advisory speed limit. Restricts AI driving speed, but this speed limit is not enforced by speed cameras. Can be displayed next to the speed limit in a blue square (with a white edge) with white numbers. Also comes with a traffic rule to lift this limitation.
    • Left\Right lane ends. Triggers the AI's desire to change lanes before the prefab where the lane actually ends. The AI will not change lanes towards the ending lane. This traffic rule is meant to be use on "road" type nodes.
Wew, that was quite a list. I hope some ideas will make it into the editor ;)

Best regards,
MandelSoft
Last edited by MandelSoft on 09 Oct 2015 21:12, edited 2 times in total.
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.
SimulatorSam

#9 Post by SimulatorSam » 09 Oct 2015 12:44

Not directly related to the editor, but when in dev cam, I want to be able to change speed with the scroll wheel like you do in the map editor :P
ETS2-User

#10 Post by ETS2-User » 09 Oct 2015 14:16

Reef wrote:Yes but I don't think you can switch between items (nodes) though or am I wrong? Think of multiple hay bales as an example.
You can by pressing space. Then you can't rotate the camera though because the mouse is used to select the nodes of course. This is minor, yet it annoys me sometimes. My suggestion is, do it like in game when using the mouse for steering: When pressing alt (or any other key) while moving the mouse the camera moves instead of the cursor.
ProMods Developer for Austria and Svalbard
ProMods Regional coordinator for Central Europe

Creator of the Radiator Springs mod for ATS
Mods by ETS2-User: Facebook page

[ external image ]

Return to “Feature Wishlists and Suggestions”