Remove braking relics from bygone times

Tirol

Remove braking relics from bygone times

#1 Post by Tirol » 22 Apr 2018 05:55

Unfortunately, old relics prevent the modern development of the ETS.

Therefore, I ask SCS to definitively discontinue support for Windows XP. Similarly, the Vista support should be also a thing of the past.

The outdated 32bit builds should also be discontinued, so SCS can finally cleanse the code.

What do you mean? Or does your PC even use this outdated technology?
FlyingPigeon

Re: Remove braking relics from bygone times

#2 Post by FlyingPigeon » 25 Apr 2018 05:48

Many many many SCS fans play on older systems, why do you even care? Does it break the game that other play it on XP version? No it dont, so stop being so selfish.

Btw i use win 7
Scandinavian truckdriver.
MVC22V

#3 Post by MVC22V » 27 Apr 2018 13:40

The problem is that the game will need to be more optimized, think, scs will bring more things to the game, optimization is needed !!
LeafeonGold

#4 Post by LeafeonGold » 27 Apr 2018 14:24

I kinda agree where the game can be optimized better if support is dropped for older systems to clean out all the compatibility code, however, most of SCS's fanbase isn't on newer, more powerful computers. . .
"Don't try extra hard to make your presence known, but make sure your absence is noticed."

Intel I7-4790K |//| EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW |//| 32GB RAM
Workshop |//| ATS Screens |//| ETS2 Screens
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#5 Post by Mohegan13 » 27 Apr 2018 14:37

Windows 7 is minimum spec for Steam versions. It's only the the legacy/disc versions that supported win XP.

The only way for SCS to really fully drop XP/Vista support would be to finally kill off legacy. Since Steam always had Win7 as min-spec there is no issue there, anyone ignoring that was the min-spec is unfortunate IMO. However SCS have always been a little bit nicer than me when it comes to supporting such groups. :P

32bit would also be problematic because Microsoft decided Win10/7 with 32bit OS options was a good idea. ATS has no real issue as the 32bit branch was always temporary so finally choosing to end that isn't unreasonable, but of course we don't have the figure on users. SCS aren't likely to cut them off if there are still a good number of users.

As much as I would like them to drop Legacy/32bit/xp/vista officially, they have to look at the impact it would have on them as a company. How many active players would they be cutting off? Is it currently worth the benefits? Clearly with the legacy support for Italy DLC they think it's better to keep supporting it all for now (unless they actually agreed with me that Italy should be the last since it extends a base map country).
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
Tirol

#6 Post by Tirol » 17 Aug 2018 06:43

Fortunately, with the upcoming technology update to Direct X11, the Windows XP support will be finally over.
Tirol

#7 Post by Tirol » 01 Jan 2019 19:45

Steam no longer supports Windows XP and Vista.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/steam ... 37299.html

Thus, with the next update, SCS will be able to remove the entire XP compatibility hacks from the code, paving the way for new technologies.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#8 Post by Mohegan13 » 02 Jan 2019 09:41

I wouldn't be surprised if DX11 switch is planned for the last update of the year. It gives people the most amount of time on older systems to finally move to newer ones.

You have to remember, what Steam is doing does not affect Legacy users. SCS are still catering to those players and you have to assume some of them are still running these older machines too. SCS's stance on supporting people who remain on old branches, or old PCs is clear. Look at how old some of the game branches on Steam are, look at the 32bit ATS branch still getting updated, it's nearly 3 years and it was supposed to be temporary. Pavel himself said Baltics will likely come for Legacy.

Steam dropping support won't be the magical change people are hoping for.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
Tirol

#9 Post by Tirol » 10 Feb 2019 19:08

Hopefully, SCS will finally remove the Program code from the whole Windows XP legacy hacks. Nobody needs an eighteen year old operating system in 2019 anymore.
Max
SCS Software

#10 Post by Max » 10 Feb 2019 21:00

Tirol wrote: 10 Feb 2019 19:08 ... Nobody needs an eighteen year old operating system in 2019 anymore.
yeah. except those cca 5% of players running on it .. ;)
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.

Return to “Feature Wishlists and Suggestions”