Improve the stupid AI

dakar2008

Improve the stupid AI

#1 Post by dakar2008 » 09 Apr 2020 09:38

Hi There.

I really hope that SCS Software will improve the stupid AI in this game, seems that they have become even more stupid through the years, let me list some of the issues i fould with the AI:

1. Not all AI is responsing to turn signal when lane changeing.
2. In a 2 lane roundabout, the AI sometimes cross from inner lane to the outer line to drive off the roundabout, crossing in front of traffic and making dangerous situations and even crashes.
3. Continue turning left at an intersection right in front of traffic driving right through the intersection, again causing dangerous situations or even crashes.
4. NOT PAYING ATTENTION AT ALL TO THE PLAYER.

Hope that SCS Software sees this and just letting us know that they are working on improving the AI so they don't make that kind of mistakes and dangerous manuvers.
bobgrey1997

Re: Improve the stupid AI

#2 Post by bobgrey1997 » 09 Apr 2020 10:33

Number 1 is realistic. Not all people respond to turn indicators. Nor do all people USE turn indicators. It would only make sense that not traffic in the game would use or respond to them.
Number 2: I don't think SCS has learned how to design proper roundabouts yet. It's even worse in ATS.
Number 3: Some people just don't know the light has changed or don't realize the opposing side is also going.
Number 4: last I seen, the AI do react to the player.
jilech

#3 Post by jilech » 09 Apr 2020 10:53

Adding to this, make buses behave like trucks and not road cars in the sense they'll slow down and show caution when making turns. Seeing a bus cornering or take a right turn like a car, makes for crashes when they don't slow down when taking the turn, since the front sticks out so much over the front wheels and will crash into oncoming traffic down the road they're turning to.
Andrei_03

#4 Post by Andrei_03 » 09 Apr 2020 10:57

The roundabout thing annoys me as well. But then again, there are many people in RL who don't know how to make a roundabout properly, thus adding to the realism of the game :lol:

[ external image ]

It's very simple, but some people just can't grasp it.
jilech

#5 Post by jilech » 09 Apr 2020 11:13

Not all roundabouts are like that though with road markings to exit. Some have both lanes going all way round, and then you have to make lane shift from inner lane to outer lane before exit.

[ external image ]
Andrei_03

#6 Post by Andrei_03 » 09 Apr 2020 13:35

Wow! I've never seen any of those in real life.
Fetal_Icecream

#7 Post by Fetal_Icecream » 20 Apr 2020 03:12

I think most of the problems with roundabouts in the game come from wrong lane use.
The GPS(which my proxy means the AI's code also) says to use the outside lane to take the 3rd exit. This is straight up wrong . It should be the inside lane.

How to use a roundabout correctly.

UNIVERSAL RULES [-[This written assuming you are driving on the right hand side of the road, if driving on the left use the opposite direction]-]
Rule 1. Vehicles ON the roundabout get right of way to those entering ALWAYS!
Rule 2. Give way to vehicles entering the roundabout on your left
Rule 3. if taking the 1st exit, your indicator (blinker) should be set to notify a right hand turn, otherwise always indicate as if you are turning left (even if taking the 2nd (straight through) exit).
Rule 4. Indicate your intention to exit when you have passed the exit before yours.
Rule 5. NEVER stop on a roundabout (this excludes accidents or vehicle malfunction). And since you can never stop on a roundabout this also rules out REVERSING since you must stop before reversing.
Rule 6. You cannot change lanes in a roundabout ...EVER.

Dual Lane Carriage Roundabout. (legal way of saying the roundabout has 2 lanes)
roundabout1.jpg
Vehicle 2 (blue, outside lane) can only use Exit A and B.
Vehicle 1 (red, inside lane) can only use Exit B C and D.

Proviso
RED 1 vehicle can use the 1st exit only if the outside lane is empty and will remain empty until completion of maneuver or if they complete a revolution of the roundabout.
Blue 2 vehicle can use exit C or D only if the inside lane is empty and will remain empty until the completion of maneuver.
IF you miss your turn, use the corresponding above provisos to correct. In other words safely complete a full revolution (lap) of the roundabout, and safely exit at your intended stop.

The proviso is why the first rule of ALL roundabouts EVERYWHERE is 'GIVE WAY TO VEHICLES ALREADY ON THE ROUNDABOUT'.
Some newbie driver

#8 Post by Some newbie driver » 20 Apr 2020 10:18

There's lots of things that can be improved in AI behavior, but how to deal roundabouts isn't one of those.

AI will never cross in front of you on a 2-lane roundabout, from the inner lane to an exit. Never. Unless, of course, you have your right blinker lit (for LHD countries); indicating you are going to exit the roundabout. In that case, AI assumes you are going to take the first exit using its rightmost lane so the AI will be free to gro from the inner lane of the roundabout to the leftmost lane on the same ext you are signaling to take (the red path in the image on the @Fetal_Icecream message). If a player uses incorrectly the blinkers inside a roundabout, isn't an AI fault but player's one.

There's just ONE detail that could improve AI on 2-lane roundabouts. If we are in the outer lane but don't want to exit and AI is in the inner lane and wants to, the AI car will stop in the middle of the roundabout waiting the outer lane to be free. No vehicle should stop in a inner lane of a roundabout awaiting the path to be free. Vehicles in that situation MUST continue driving doing a 360º circle to the roundabout and try again (if possible, moving sooner to the outer lane). The ironic part of this is that AI is perfectly mimicking the stupid behavior of hundreds of thousands of real world people who don't have an idea of how to drive on a roundabout. :roll:

Any other AI miss-behavior in a roundabout we could see is probable a sporadic glitch or a bug of the lanes layout and signaling on that specific roundabout; that doesn't allow AI controller to manage the situation as it should.

Regards
EuroTruckFan92

#9 Post by EuroTruckFan92 » 07 Jul 2020 16:12

@Fetal_Icecream

all of what you said makes sense, but they constantly pull out in front of me... when I'm trying to go through.
swetrucker

#10 Post by swetrucker » 08 Jul 2020 23:54

I would like more reactions from the Ai in general on your driving. If you do careless driving (like shifting lane while someone is going to pass you, or if you pass someone before 2 lanes goes to 1 lane) it would be more realistic if the Ai cars would brake hard and push the horn or something in that case.

Return to “Feature Wishlists and Suggestions”