Make ETS2 & ATS Dedicated Server Ready

Make ETS2 & ATS Dedicated Server Ready?!

YES!
84%
No!
16%

Total votes: 32

Angel_Arrow

Make ETS2 & ATS Dedicated Server Ready

#1 Post by Angel_Arrow » 01 May 2020 10:22

We all now that we already have a multiplayer platform for both of these games, TruckersMP. Maybe, just maybe, there's going to be another one in the future (although I don't really believe a lot of their project).

But ...

We also know that SCSSoftware is considering creating its own multiplayer platform. That was said in one of their last live streams at the end of 2019.

But ...

I came to think that maybe they shouldn't make their own platform! If they create their own platform, then they also create the responsibility that goes hand in hand. Responsibility to keep their own servers a fun and clean environment for everybody to hang around. If we take a look at TruckersMP, we see that the latter is not as easily done as one would think.

Therefore ...

I came with the following idea: what if SCSSoftware make their games (both ETS2 as ATS) Dedicated Server compatible/ready? Just like Giant did for Farming Simulator! Making their games Dedicated Server ready would come with a lot of benefits for both parties, players and SCSSoftware.
  • SCSSoftware wouldn't have the responsibility to keep their servers fun and clean (getting rid of trolls, etc.),
    SCSSoftware wouldn't have to invest more manpower, which would be needed on their own multiplayer platform (admins, moderators, etc.),
    SCSSoftware can keep focussing only on the development of both games instead of investing time and resources for their own multiplayer platform,
    Players would have the choice if they want to rent/buy a dedicated server,
    Dedicated server owners would have the ability to make their own rules,
    Dedicated server owners can totally choose how things would run, who can join, who doesn't, etc,
    Non-dedicated server owners would have the choice to join a particular server(s),
    Players would have the freedom to choose whether they want to drive on the TruckersMP servers (and obeying all those rules) or somebody else's Dedicated server.
    ... and probably lots of other benefits which I can't think of right now.
To be honest I can't really think of anything negative. Point is that a lot of players want to play together with their friends, but not everybody is able or want to connect to the TruckersMP servers. SCSSoftware already gave us the information that they would consider creating their own platform (although we wouldn't have to expect that any time soon), so why not developing a dedicated server system instead of creating their own multiplayer platform?

My suggestion: make ETS2 and ATS DEDICATED SERVER ready/compatible!

I'm going to add a poll to this post. I simply ask the question: "Dedicated Server, yes or no?" We can discuss the whole matter in the comment section. Why do you say yes? Why no? Or any other thought. Share your opinions! Let's make this a very active thread so that SCSSSoftware picks up on it.

To make things more clear I want to add the comment of BK Vissers:
BK Vissers wrote:
01 May 2020 12:08
I believe the distinction being made here between multiplayer servers and dedicated servers is that the user is responsible to either host a session from their own computer or to rent server space and install a copy of the game on the server, where it can run 24/7 to those people who have a password. This is what Giants did with Farming a Simulator. It removes the hassle of Giants having to maintain and police servers, as well as support sufficient infrastructure for a growing player base. The server, whether local or remote, is owned and managed by the end user.

I agree with this approach.
Last edited by Angel_Arrow on 01 May 2020 12:13, edited 2 times in total.

Plum

Re: Make ETS2 & ATS Dedicated Server Ready

#2 Post by Plum » 01 May 2020 11:44

I really don't understand what you mean by 'dedicated server'. I imagine if SCS ever were to make a MP mode, it would probably be in a system similar to games like HOI4 or Farming Sim, where you would have the ability to enable a password to stop random people joining so there wouldn't have the need for moderators or admins. But either way, I like some of your ideas and hopefully SCS will do them some day :)
Promods Developer
Currently working in the South West of England

Angel_Arrow

#3 Post by Angel_Arrow » 01 May 2020 12:07

Please don’t quote the post directly before yours.

Dedicated Server is the system Farming Simulator is using. When a game is dedicated server ready, then players can run their own servers through a bought or hosted server system. Exactly the same as Farming Simulator, like you said yourself. F.e. I rented a dedicated server on which FarmingSimulator runs with 10 slots. I choose with whom I want to play.
Last edited by BK Vissers on 01 May 2020 12:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rule 2.12

BK Vissers
Global moderator

#4 Post by BK Vissers » 01 May 2020 12:08

I believe the distinction being made here between multiplayer servers and dedicated servers is that the user is responsible to either host a session from their own computer or to rent server space and install a copy of the game on the server, where it can run 24/7 to those people who have a password. This is what Giants did with Farming a Simulator. It removes the hassle of Giants having to maintain and police servers, as well as support sufficient infrastructure for a growing player base. The server, whether local or remote, is owned and managed by the end user.

Angel_Arrow

#5 Post by Angel_Arrow » 01 May 2020 12:11

BK Vissers wrote:
01 May 2020 12:08

Exactly that! :D

Reis_6

#6 Post by Reis_6 » 01 May 2020 12:14

It would be amazing play the game with AI and some friend's using a specific choiced mod using a WoT contract!
My topic about new mode in WoT || Steam || WoT Ranking topic || My topic about Season Pass in WoT
                                        Position number 53 at WoT ranking worldwide

Some newbie driver

#7 Post by Some newbie driver » 01 May 2020 13:33

@BK Vissers has said it all and I agree too that would be the best approach the day SCS decides to create an official multiplayer. A completely open multiplayer its a beacon for toxic players and it will create lots of problems that will require lots of efforts and resources to mitigate (SCS will never be able to completely eliminate). Best are the option to create private servers that, in resume, is "To play with friends".

Plum

#8 Post by Plum » 01 May 2020 14:15

It would be nice to like on Farming Sim keep the servers running most of the time so people can join any time :D
Promods Developer
Currently working in the South West of England

Angel_Arrow

#9 Post by Angel_Arrow » 05 Jun 2020 08:58

Come on people, I can't imagine that the people who voted and/or reacted are the only ones who have an opinion about this. I constantly hear people having discussions about a possible multiplayer from SCS Software themselves. There is not one stream that passes in which viewers say that they want a multiplayer from SCS instead of third party platforms.

So I can only imagine that there are way more people interested in this, only they are not finding the way to this forum. Therefore I would ask you guys to give this topic some extra attention by sharing it with as many other people as possible. Ask them to vote! Ask them to discuss the matter here! Only together we can get SCS Software's attention!

I even have an additional idea related to this post: making it so that we can open up our game to anybody we want, as localhost. This is also possible in other games, like Farming Simulator. That way we could have the choice if we want to open up our game or if we want to rent an ETS2 server at some server host or if we just want to join somebody else's game or server!

HELP US OUT AND MAKE THIS TOPIC GROW!!!

Some newbie driver

#10 Post by Some newbie driver » 05 Jun 2020 10:06

It's not that other people has no opinions; is that this topic has been discussed lots of times. I'm talking for myself alone, but I'm not going to spent several minutes typing my whole opinion about that subject (or any other) EVERY TIME somebody opens a new thread about exactly the same subject. Luckily this time BK Vissers said almost exactly what I think just before me, so I almost had to say nothing as I already did.

But on general terms, and that's always valid for anyone of us in this section, if we want to make a strong statement in favor of SCS doing something; first thing we should do always is to search a similar suggestion previously done and add our opinion there. One single thread with hundreds of messages on it has an impact. Hundreds of threads with less than 10 answers on them achieve nothing but to be forgotten. Take it as a kindly advice.

Regards

Return to “Feature Wishlists and Suggestions”