Cabin camera wider range of motion (TrackIR)

RockNBurn

Cabin camera wider range of motion (TrackIR)

#1 Post by RockNBurn » 08 Oct 2020 07:20

Something that bothers me since I started to use head tracking is that the range of motion of the cockpit camera is too restricted. Rotating the camera is all nice, but I mean XYZ movement. I'm pretty sure you could move your head even more inside a truck. Its a bit hard to look at Traffic lights or at the road crossings. Please, SCS, increase the camera motion limits or remove it. It would be nice as well if you could add camera tilt to it. I know some people don't like it but, for me at least, make it more comfortable if the camera tilt as my head tilt.
Reinhard

Re: Cabin camera wider range of motion (TrackIR)

#2 Post by Reinhard » 08 Oct 2020 07:58

Movement, aside from the left/right "leaning" trajectory, is confined by a relatively small virtual box.

But the boundaries of this box can be changed, in the file "controls.sii", in your profile folder. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=270074

If you have found settings that suit you, better make a backup of the changed lines (up to 3 lines for x,y,z), in a separate file. When SCS changes something regarding control handling, "controls.sii" might get overwritten, and your settings lost. It happened to me once, with the 1.35 update.
RockNBurn

#3 Post by RockNBurn » 08 Oct 2020 08:06

Also, I found how manually doing this on the controls.sii file, but still, would be better to have this by default and let the TrackIR software handles this.

For whom may concern, this is what I've done.
For head tilt, change constant c_ht_roll 0.000000 to constant c_ht_roll 1.000000

Fon increase range of movement, you must change the positive and negative limits on the file.

The original lines are

config_lines[239]: "mix headtrx `clamp(sel(trackiron, trackirx, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyeposx, 0), -0.1, 0.1) + sel(hmdon, hmdx, 0)`"
config_lines[240]: "mix headtry `clamp(sel(trackiron, trackiry, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyeposy, 0), -0.05, 0.05) + sel(hmdon, hmdy, 0)`"
config_lines[241]: "mix headtrz `clamp(sel(trackiron, trackirz, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyeposz, 0), -0.2, 0.05) + sel(hmdon, hmdz, 0)`"

You need to change the positive and negative number at the end on each line.
As an example, my file is now like this

config_lines[254]: "mix headtrx `clamp(sel(trackiron, trackirx, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyeposx, 0), -0.3, 0.3) + sel(hmdon, hmdx, 0)`"
config_lines[255]: "mix headtry `clamp(sel(trackiron, trackiry, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyeposy, 0), -0.15, 0.15) + sel(hmdon, hmdy, 0)`"
config_lines[256]: "mix headtrz `clamp(sel(trackiron, trackirz, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyeposz, 0), -0.35, 0.15) + sel(hmdon, hmdz, 0)`"

It may not seem much, but It's almost tripled the range of moviment.
And it feels so much better now.
RockNBurn

#4 Post by RockNBurn » 08 Oct 2020 08:08

Reinhard wrote: 08 Oct 2020 07:58 Movement, aside from the left/right "leaning" trajectory, is confined by a relatively small virtual box.

But the boundaries of this box can be changed, in the file "controls.sii", in your profile folder. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=270074

If you have found settings that suit you, better make a backup of the changed lines (up to 3 lines for x,y,z), in a separate file. When SCS changes something regarding control handling, "controls.sii" might get overwritten, and your settings lost. It happened to me once, with the 1.35 update.
Yeah, I ended up figuring it out at the same time you replied to me. It's nice, but I would like a better solution than manually editing a txt file.
But, anyway, thanks for the reply, man. =]
Qwertyuiop

#5 Post by Qwertyuiop » 28 Jan 2021 00:44

These settings have transformed head tracking in ATS/ETS2. I'd always veer outside my lane before I enabled the tilt which enables me to look at the farside mirror without swerving like a maniac on the road. Totally agree with tripling the values for xyz, I can now move my head around the cabin very naturally - it adds another dimension to the game. Thanks for sharing the info.

Return to “Feature Wishlists and Suggestions”