Iberia DLC inaccuracies and mistakes on signs and layout

dsf.fernando

Re: Iberia DLC inaccuracies and mistakes on signs and layout

#31 Post by dsf.fernando » 26 Apr 2021 13:53

Lolsmurf wrote: 15 Apr 2021 12:22

Additionally something I would like to point out as a mapper too. Why does Iberia have only 3 asphalt types? It's the largest DLC and has only 3 asphalt skins of which 2 are almost identical.

I'm not saying Iberia needs 5454 different asphalt types, but 3 of which 2 are near identical? So all autovia and autopista in Iberia have the same asphalt? Having more diverse asphalt types increases immersion and might even give a certain feeling or look to specific regions within the DLC.
Maybe because some of the secondary roads in Iberia are infamous for its lack of maintenance (see: IC2 from Monastery of Batalha to Coimbra)
Proud student of Games and Multimedia in the Polytechnic of Leiria - the Portuguese capital of game development
(and still hopeful the city will feature in the game with a garage someday)
Some newbie driver

#32 Post by Some newbie driver » 28 Apr 2021 10:35

Lolsmurf wrote: 20 Apr 2021 12:52Check speed signs of 110km/h in Spain, I have checked dozen of these and they should all be 120km/h like IRL. 110km/h is rather rare on spanish autovia.
Several years ago, max speed was reduced to 110km/h in all Spanish roads for a short time. If SCS has used reference material dated from that time for some places, they could had seen those signals thus what they had put in the game.
Lolsmurf

#33 Post by Lolsmurf » 06 May 2021 06:44

Another addition:

These signs are missing all over Iberia, while the game is a truck simulator. Not sure why this one was left out when the one for cars is in the game.

[ external image ]

Additionally, I have seen you are not using many frontage roads on the autovia, while Spain is very known for them. The ones we do have are so small and limited they feel weird.
A very good example on how inaccurate this DLC is on terms of surroundings and layout on some places.

Below picture/screenshot is taken at the exact same place. IRL it has 3+1 lanes in both directions + a 2 lane frontage road used for exits. Also note the lamps, the advertisement telling us this is a high volume freeway as we near Madrid.
[ external image ]

Compare this with what we have ingame. 2 lane autovia, like 99% of the map, no frontage roads, farmlands all over the place and hardly any feeling or indication that you are passing one of the last exits before entering Madrid, the Spanish capital and one of the largest cities of the Iberian peninsula. The median is also very empty or wrong on many places on the map. Using large long trees, totally inaccurate and just wrong on certain places.
[ external image ]

There is also a fair share of copy pasting interchanges and intersections, especially from Germany (probably because the reskin/rebuiuld is the latest work?) which makes the interchanges in Spain look bland and completely unrealistic.

Some proof:

Madrid:
[ external image ]
Berlin:
[ external image ]

The issue with this is that these look completely nice and fine for Germany, that has these frontage road/access roads seperated from the main freeway near big junctions.
If we compare to Spain and what it should have looked like:

[ external image ]

Madrid is also one big hole, while if we compare with Berlin there is 1 large road running through the city and even branching. There is room to add streets in Madrid and do proper interchanges.
Lolsmurf

#34 Post by Lolsmurf » 09 Nov 2022 11:51

1 year and a half later and not one single thing has been picked up or fixed from the long list of issues and inaccuracies we reported here.
Still wrong, signs, empty places and roads and lines misaligned.

I believe it would take 1 SCS map dev 1 day to fix these things, or maybe just 1/2 day. So far for #GreatestCommunityEver...
recordFineHolder

#35 Post by recordFineHolder » 12 Nov 2022 21:42

Lolsmurf wrote: 09 Nov 2022 11:51 1 year and a half later and not one single thing has been picked up or fixed from the long list of issues and inaccuracies we reported here.

I believe it would take 1 SCS map dev 1 day to fix these things, or maybe just 1/2 day. So far for #GreatestCommunityEver...
Have you had the chance to play a bit with version 1.46? Iberia's been updated there.
VirtualTruckTravels

#36 Post by VirtualTruckTravels » 14 Nov 2022 16:29

@Lolsmurf incredible research you have done on this thread, and really sad to see how rushed and down right low quality Iberia is in. The same patch of asphalt all over the entire peninsula is also bothering me as well, it is just unrealistic and not 2021 worthy, same with signage, i mean ATS is mapping and signage wise very very accurate, but ETS2 map team seem to just slap-dash their way through the maps, everything is a copy paste. It really seem like SCS just dont care to put the man power and effort into ETS2 anymore which is sad especially with Iberia which was so anticipated by the community myself included. While SCS has made some very small correction and additions to Iberia i dont think it will ever be up to 2021 mapping and signage standard, only hope is for Promods to do their magic as usual. (maybe it is calculated from SCS that Promods will correct their errors, who knows?)
About that enourmous signs and arrows, I get ETS1 vibes aswell.
Lolsmurf

#37 Post by Lolsmurf » 16 Nov 2022 09:10

recordFineHolder wrote: 12 Nov 2022 21:42
Lolsmurf wrote: 09 Nov 2022 11:51 1 year and a half later and not one single thing has been picked up or fixed from the long list of issues and inaccuracies we reported here.

Have you had the chance to play a bit with version 1.46? Iberia's been updated there.
I did and nope nothing fixed. I don't even know if they even read this topic or even care at this point...
Just a simple: "Thanks for your feedback we will fix it" is enough.

@VirtualTruckTravels Yeah it's a bit sad, it just shows this DLC was rushed and should not have been released. The new parts they add are usually better quality but the things I highlighted in this topic are not just small details as they impact the players ability to play. Cars randomly breaking on a freeway at the border because someone was too lazy to remove a 50KM/h sign after using wrong google street data is really sad.
SenseFM

#38 Post by SenseFM » 24 Nov 2022 19:25

@Lolsmurf I had seen your thread in the active topics the past week and I had forgot to write my input here, since I also have signage pet-peeves of my own. It's clear you've made your research, most of your examples are true and it would be nice if they could all be solved. I must say though that I don't fully agree with what you say that nothing has been fixed. In your first post you said:
No signs for rivers, no autonomous community signs, no region signs
Now most of the rivers are signed, and so do the Spanish Autonomous Communities. Spain is now probably the country with the most complete signage of ETS2, although it's true that it's still not at the level of ATS signage.

Most of your complains are still legitimate, the main reason I think they still haven't been fixed is because most of them haven't been reported as bugs. For example, the 11th image you show in your OP post, the one of the AP-7 split near Barcelona, was bothering me as much as you, since the sign is placed well after the start of a continuous line. I reported is as a bug during the 1.46 open beta and since then an announcement sign has been placed 300 m before it:

[ external image ]

I have other examples of bugs or omissions being fixed during the 1.46 open beta, which in its first iteration it released with several Autonomous Community borders unsigned. The missing regional signs were reported by I and another user and were quickly addressed during the beta process. Thanks to that, now every Spanish regional border is signed in the DLC.

With these examples what I want to say is that, in general, if things are reported as bugs they seem to be eventually solved. The problem with the inaccuracies you've posted is that they are in many cases a systematic problem found many places. And one thing is to report an incorrect sign or line, but another thing is to report something that's never been there and maybe had never been considered during the DLC's development (e.g. the forbidden overtaking signs for trucks or the signs warning of wildlife crossing the road).

I, for one, care for the new mileage signs that were added with version 1.44. Spain has lower frequency of them in comparison to other areas of the ETS2 map, albeit the scarcity also happens in the Baltic Countries, Romania, Bulgaria, the UK and Italy:

[ external image ]

If I'd knew the absence of them in a highway interchange could be reported I would do it, but can things that aren't wrongly placed but missing be reported as bugs?

Return to “Feature Wishlists and Suggestions”