Mouse steering + mouse/keyboard pedals improvement suggestion

AB3-74

Mouse steering + mouse/keyboard pedals improvement suggestion

#1 Post by AB3-74 » 14 Jun 2021 21:23

Hello to all virtual truckers.

Introduction
I have been fighting with mouse controls for ages. A physical steering wheel is not an option for me, so I drive with the mouse. I am pretty used to the system used in OMSI2, where I control gas, brake, and steering by mouse with a visible cross-line pointer. I am used to ETS2 mouse-steering with LTM gas and RTM brake. But it sucks. The full mouse control including pedals is, currently, no solution for me.

Problem
When I drive with full mouse controls, including pedals, I keep adding gas or disengaging cruise control by applying the air brake. I have no visual clue where inside the dead-zone I currently am. I have three possible suggestions on how to make work fine.

Solution 1
When driving with a full mouse steering and pedals, the game would check an angle of a mouse path during turning the steering wheel. And in case the angle is closer to horizontal than the user-set value, it would lock the gas-brake axis to zero-change.

Solution 2
This is rather a go-around than a solution, but it would work for me pretty well. It would be fine to add two assignable keystrokes that would temporarily and on-the-go disable gas/brake from full authority. For example, I would drive around the town with both on. Then I would leave the town and press a key: "Toggle mouse braking" from now, going to the brake range of vertical mouse movement would do nothing, and the brake would need to be either pressed by RTM or by re-enabling mouse control. Then I would enter a freeway and turn cruise control on. I would press "Toggle mouse acceleration", and from now, the controls would be like in the pedal-less mouse control fully.

Solution 3
Intelligent mouse button / keyboard throttle/brake control. When turned on, long+short clicks would control gas or brake in this manner:
- long click - start increase of throttle/brake
- short click when throttle/brake is not decreasing - start decreasing throttle/brake
- short click when throttle/brake decreases - stop decreasing
The throttle-brake would increase/decrease in a user-settable speed. The user would be able to set anything between 1 and 3 seconds to full. The user would also be able to set the boundary between short and long click.
Even an ultrafast click on the other pedal would cause very fast pedal release (at 500% speed).

I would like to see Solution 3 as well as a combination of Solution 1+2.

Would it be possible? Feel free to write to me for further clarification of my idea.

Thanks,
AB3-74
Etrusan

Re: Mouse steering + mouse/keyboard pedals improvement suggestion

#2 Post by Etrusan » 15 Jun 2021 03:59

You can try this, it makes the full mouse control actually usable.
Seasonic SSR-650TD; Intel Core i5-6700K; Gainward GTX 1060 6GB Phoenix GS; 2x Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB; 2x Crucial MX500 2TB; 3x Seagate IronWolf Pro; Corsair Force MP510 960GB; 2x 24" AOC I2481FXH; Windows 10

www.etrusan.net

Return to “Feature Wishlists and Suggestions”