[POLL] Do you want SCS to add new trucks to ETS2 or rework old ones?

Would you prefer SCS to add new trucks or rebuild the old ones.

Add new trucks. Quantity over quality.
25%
Rebuild old trucks. Consistent quality is more important.
75%

Total votes: 175

Mohegan13
Global moderator

Re: [POLL] Do you want SCS to add new trucks to ETS2 or rework old ones?

#11 Post by Mohegan13 » 19 Jun 2021 10:59

Old models. The same reasons that apply to reworking map areas, also apply to reworking old trucks.

There's no nice way to say it, but the old truck models don't even look like they belong in this game, they look like they belong in a knock off version like Europe Trucking Simulator or something. I love some of the older trucks, but the game versions simply do not do them justice.

I understand you want to focus on new things, latest trucks, particularly when pushed by an industry partner as happened with WS/DAF/T Evo. But you have to look at your older models as well, they don't just represent the brands they represent your work in game too and having such old models makes them stand out for all the wrong reasons.

Would it really be that hard to put a dedicated team - maybe of juniors - together to work on the old models over the space of 12-18 months?
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
JUseeTV

#12 Post by JUseeTV » 19 Jun 2021 11:12

I voted for old models, simple reason for me: You can have a billion of shiny, new and accurate models but the old, inaccurate models will always stick out and kill the immersion.

And I can just agree with what Mohegan stated above me, old models are part of the game, old areas of the map get reworked (more or less accurate), so why doesn't the same thing apply to vehicles aswell (I am taking the AI models into account aswell).

And for juniors it can be a good task to get into the flow of modeling and working with all the different aspects of building a truck before letting them off leash to a new and shiny truck
I am not giving any sort of support, requests or Q&A through private messages, such messages will be ignored. Please use the appropriate topics, they are there for a reason.
plykkegaard

#13 Post by plykkegaard » 19 Jun 2021 11:20

Bring the old farts up to the highest standard they deserve it
Less business opportunies for SCS Software though

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Wolfi
Beta tester

#14 Post by Wolfi » 19 Jun 2021 11:46

Yes and no. I agree, new trucks = new business chances.
But take a look at it this way, check the "what's your age poll" here on the forum. Most people come from the time when the "old fart trucks" were a major thing and still new players come. There's a massive cult behind Daf XF105, Volvo FH 2009 or the Scania R2009-16 (the old one). I can only imagine that having those in a high quality version would appeal to a lot of people and maybe bring some more players to the game.
Also, I feel like some brands may simply not be happy with how their products are depicted in the game anymore. Imagine point of view of Iveco, with currently the worst and most inaccurate truck model in the game, looking at SCS implementing new DAF with a quality that kicks them out of the building.
I'd say SCS is hurting themselves. Reworking old trucks not only would revitalize the game imo, it could also potentially show truck manufacturers that SCS still cares about their PR and overall presence in the game, giving them more and more reasons to cooperate.
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
Solutech

#15 Post by Solutech » 19 Jun 2021 15:10

Yup it is definately time to rework the older models . Everything else being updated just makes them look even worse .
[ external image ]
Author of ReMoled series of mods,V8K Blaine ReWork and general helpful chap .
mackintosh

#16 Post by mackintosh » 19 Jun 2021 15:39

New trucks only. Leave old trucks to modders, or to their rightful place on a scrap heap.
plykkegaard

#17 Post by plykkegaard » 19 Jun 2021 15:53

New company: Scrapyard
We can transport scrap including outdated trucks :D

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
pigbrother

#18 Post by pigbrother » 21 Jun 2021 06:18

mackintosh wrote: 19 Jun 2021 15:39 New trucks only. Leave old trucks to modders, or to their rightful place on a scrap heap.
I wish it would be like that, but is not. A lot of mods started from the already inaccurate SCS models and are just lipstick on a pig. Few mods bring built-from-scratch versions of the in-game old trucks, and from all of these very few deserve attentions, like Dotec Mercedes MP3 and some payware Scania R PRT-range. I see some WIP for FH 2009 and Scania R and there was a decent TGX Euro 5 at one time, but now is payware. There are no decent XF105, FH2009, FH2012, Magnum or Stralis.
I have approximate knowledge of many things
harishw8r

#19 Post by harishw8r » 21 Jun 2021 07:06

I voted for new trucks, but I also genuinely want old trucks to be reworked to the current quality, one model in particular - the Peterbilt 389.

This might be the right time to start reworking, IMO, at least the ETS2 ones. Almost all brands made a major design change in the past few years and that’s unlikely to happen for the next few years, so they certainly have all the time to catch up with the new models.

They can start up with the three recent models - FH, Actros MP4 and the TGX Efficientline 2, and then take up big projects like the Magnum.
MichaelALAD

#20 Post by MichaelALAD » 21 Jun 2021 07:34

Mohegan13 wrote: 19 Jun 2021 10:59 the old truck models don't even look like they belong in this game
... and in some cases they literally weren't made for ETS2. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the MAN (not Euro 6) is inherited from some old SCS game like 'German Truck Simulator' or such, and Iveco Stralis too.

Return to “Feature Wishlists and Suggestions”