Option to toggle midlift axle steering when lifted

Austin.S

Option to toggle midlift axle steering when lifted

#1 Post by Austin.S » 02 Oct 2021 12:01

I remember that the mid-axle would steer even when lifted in older game version.
It will be great if there is an option to toggle this behavior either in chassis def or in-game menu.
Some newbie driver

Re: Option to toggle midlift axle steering when lifted

#2 Post by Some newbie driver » 04 Oct 2021 21:33

Lifted axles steer or not depending on the kind of link they have with the steering system. In the DAF XF for example, the mid axle doesn't steer when lifted. So, if they had take the trouble to depict those differences, I'm assuming they are depicting realistic behaviors.

Regards
Abbasoturi

#3 Post by Abbasoturi » 17 Oct 2021 16:18

This is true but would like to see a keybind for trailers to help on reverse. Those HCT monsters do have in real world a electronic lock that is used on button to lock the steering when reversing those. Not for everybody this feature, but for small portion of us who have toggled off the easy loading sites on everything it would be nice.
Some newbie driver

#4 Post by Some newbie driver » 17 Oct 2021 22:12

I don't understand the idea behind blocking the steering when reversing. Shouldn't the steering of those axles HELP to maneuver the truck? What the point to have less maneuverability?

No pun intended; if you say that exist IRL there should be a reason. It's just curiosity why I don't understand it.

Regards
Austin.S

#5 Post by Austin.S » 19 Oct 2021 15:50

Because the trailer will become more predictable when reversing if steer-axles are locked. Just try reversing a B-double with and without steerable axles in game, you will know what I mean.
Some newbie driver wrote: 04 Oct 2021 21:33 Lifted axles steer or not depending on the kind of link they have with the steering system.
That's why I'm suggesting that there should be an option to toggle this behavior.
Some newbie driver

#6 Post by Some newbie driver » 19 Oct 2021 17:50

Austin.S wrote: 19 Oct 2021 15:50That's why I'm suggesting that there should be an option to toggle this behavior.
And what I meant is there's no sense for that toggle, because the trucks in the game already steer or not depending on their IRL counterparts (unless some mistake, that then should be reported as a bug). If IRL the link is physical, the ingame model keeps steering as it should. The toggle you ask for then would only serve the purpose of somebody who always want them to steer or to don't, regarding what should be (if IRL is considered).

And about the trailer steer locking; I've reversed doubles in game with and without reversing axles and both are the same predictable; the difference is not predictability but their turning radius that is always smaller if steering is available. That's why I don't understand the reasons for it to exist in the kind of trailers we have in game. I know that IRL there exist "free-steering" axles for trailers, that rely on the own inertia of the truck movements and the adherence to the tarmac to "freely" steer with no hard-link system with the tractor. I think the vantages are less weight and less maintenance and failure points. The counterpart is that system doesn't work while reversing AFAIK. Maybe those are the ones you have seen with blocking systems? Don't know.

Whatever, we don't have that kind of axles in game, we have hard-linked steering ones; the steer will always depend on the tractor/trailer (or trailer/trailer on doubles) relative angle. So the place where the trailer is going is completely predictable and it will always be tighter turns with steering than without. What's the point to ask for something that difficult the maneuver due requiring more free space? I understand that the behavior is different so one needs to adapt to it; but that happens with every single trailer: they all behave differently when reversing. Their size, axle numbers, axle position, kind of steering if any...

Regards
Austin.S

#7 Post by Austin.S » 20 Oct 2021 02:50

I am too lazy to argue. Whatever you said bruv.

0:00~0:08 and 0:15~0:17
8:14~8:23
Last edited by Austin.S on 20 Oct 2021 05:45, edited 1 time in total.
Austin.S

#8 Post by Austin.S » 20 Oct 2021 05:32

@DubbelDraaiDeur
The topic is about the mid lift axle steering when lifted. Please ignore the trailer steering discussion.

These videos are meant to show that irl Volvo 8x4 can be configured with locked mid steer (meaning it will steer when lifted) or independent mid steer(only steers when lowered).

Edit: I saw your post, that is exactly what I wish for.
Austin.S

#9 Post by Austin.S » 20 Oct 2021 11:11

Some newbie driver wrote: 04 Oct 2021 21:33 Lifted axles steer or not depending on the kind of link they have with the steering system. In the DAF XF for example, the mid axle doesn't steer when lifted. So, if they had take the trouble to depict those differences, I'm assuming they are depicting realistic behaviors.

Regards
Midlift axle does steer when lifted on some DAF XF 8x4.
1:38~1:41 and 3:08~3:14
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More examples :
Steers when lifted Doesn't steer when lifted
3:18~3:22 and 4:09

Return to “Feature Wishlists and Suggestions”