Translation problem

Some newbie driver

Re: Translation problem

#11 Post by Some newbie driver » 26 May 2019 00:09

Hello Jegge

I'm not an expert at all about messing with game files, so maybe another person could give better advise.

What I do know is, as a general matter, there are 2 different behaviors of all that coding mess depending on what type of files are being read or edited: raw text files or formatted text files. Simplifying a bit and giving you an example, the .txt that are created with Notepad are raw text and the .docx that creates MS Word are formatted ones.

About the subject that matters us here, the difference is that raw text files DOESN'T contain info about how the text has to be shown. Raw text files only contain an array of binary data that will rely on text editor configurations to be interpreted. I mean, you can have exactly the same file, with exactly the sane binary content, but what you will see on screen will be different if your text editor is configured to interpret the content of the file in ISO/IEC-8859-1 or in UTF-8 or anything else.

So, in case the game files you are editing are raw text, then it's not only a matter about how your Notepad++ is saving the data. It's also about how the game is configured to read it.

For example, you are writing the word "København" and you see it well on your Notepad++. Then you save the game and said to the program "that's ISO/IEC-8859-15". So, the binary of that Danish "ø" will be stored on the appropriate code for that coding charset (decimal 248, hexa F8). But when ETS2 reads your file is treating those values with a different charset, so it shows whatever symbol will be associated for decimal 248 on there or it doesn't even know what to show and puts a "?" as a placeholder.

What's exactly the reason this is happening inside the game is what I cannot explain. But all that kind of codification errors with raw text use to be caused by the same reason.

Regards.
-=Jegge=-

#12 Post by -=Jegge=- » 26 May 2019 07:20

Okay after saving and testing ingame several times now with different codings, it´s finally working now :D

No matter what iso coding I choose, nothing worked, so I was nearly giving up on this but just had to give it a last try, I created a new document in Microsoft Word and saved the document in plain text with Unicode (UTF-8). renamed it from *txt to *sii

And look at that, now everything shows up ingame like it should. :D

Still wondering though, if the game uses ISO-8 as stated by Alex, why do I have to save my document in UTF-8 to get it working :roll:
Some newbie driver

#13 Post by Some newbie driver » 26 May 2019 08:34

Unicode UTF-8 (there are other coding schemes for Unicode charset) is special because if you only use the characters contained on ISO/IEC-8859 (so, all regular ASCII plus the different sub-charsets of that ISO/IEC), then the binary content is exactly the same than if you have saved the file in ISO/IEC-8859.

That was done on purpose to allow seamless integration of old systems, that could keep reading newer files created by Unicode software while those files doesn't content any Unicode symbol that on UTF-8 will require multiple bits. That's the advantage of that Unicode encoding, it has other disadvantages though.

Return to “Game Localization”