Translation problem

-=Jegge=-

Translation problem

#1 Post by -=Jegge=- » 18 May 2019 12:20

Hi

Could anyone tell me how I can get the game to write these letters ingame Æ and Ø, even if they are used in a translation file, ingame they are shown as a ?

thx in advance :)
Max
SCS Software

Re: Translation problem

#2 Post by Max » 18 May 2019 12:30

you must use proper character.
game uses ISO-8. find table of all characters (system or internet) and choose the proper ISO-8 code/character. or you can dig the game, eg city names or finish LP definitions, there might be at least some of them used already ...
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
-=Jegge=-

#3 Post by -=Jegge=- » 18 May 2019 12:32

Right, gonna try that :)

Thanks for the fast replay Max ;)
-=Jegge=-

#4 Post by -=Jegge=- » 18 May 2019 14:07

Still no luck solving this :?

Okay, looked at the file for the city copenhagen, as it is stated in there

Code: Select all

city_name: "København"
city_name_localized: "@@kobenhavn@@"
now if I in a locale.translation file write something like this for a cargo:

(the custom cargo exits ingame and works, but I want the name of it translated to danish)

example:

name of cargo "@@kobenhavnstrup@@"

Code: Select all

key[]: "kobenhavnstrup"
val[]: "københavnstrup"
Then ingame "københavnstrup" shows up like this k?benhavnstrup still missing the right character.

other translations works fine, it´s only the characters æ and ø. that is not showing up like they should :roll:
-=Jegge=-

#5 Post by -=Jegge=- » 20 May 2019 15:23

Anybody else got an idea or hint ? :|
rmanenc

#6 Post by rmanenc » 21 May 2019 08:17

No, I'm sorry.
My language, catalan, uses a interpunct character in many words, but the game don't show it. For example, the word "col·locació" is showed "collocació" in game. Maybe will be a good idea to migrate the game character set to Unicode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpunct#Catalan
Last edited by supersobes on 21 May 2019 10:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quote [Forum rule 2.4]
-=Jegge=-

#7 Post by -=Jegge=- » 21 May 2019 16:37

@rmanenc

Oh okay, well lets hope someone from the scs team can help us out here
Some newbie driver

#8 Post by Some newbie driver » 23 May 2019 10:47

Not completely correct rmanenc

What ISO-8 (really ISO/IEC 8859) lacks for catalan if the letter "l·" altogether (as if it was by itself a different letter). But that charset contains the interpunct symbol "·" in some of their sub-charset (latin 1 and 9, as 183 or 0xB7). So, the game should be able to show that symbol for words that contain "l·l ". You just have to be sure you are using the appropriate sub-charset of ISO-8 (the best for the use you want is Latin-9 ISO/IEC-8859-15, because it also contains the € sign).

That same ISO/IOEC-8859-15 also contains the letters that Jaegge is looking for. The problem he's having is probably due the program he's using as text editor. When he's saving the files he edits, the program should be saving them on a different ISO-8859 sub-charset that lacks those symbols. That's why he later sees something different than intended.

Anyways, you are right, the best would have been to make the game supporting Unicode from the beginning. But as SCS have inherited old code (I suppose), to change that has not been neither easy or a priority.

Regards
rmanenc

#9 Post by rmanenc » 24 May 2019 08:18

Ok, thanks.
-=Jegge=-

#10 Post by -=Jegge=- » 24 May 2019 15:47

@Some newbie driver

first off, thanks for your reply on this , as for the program I am using, it´s NotePad++ and the coding for the document is set to ISO/IEC-8859-15, but still after saving it with that coding, the correct letters don´t appear ingame, still getting the ? (question mark instead)

Also tried a few other codings, but it didn't change anything, well who knows, maybe it´s just me that don´t get this right :D

Return to “Game Localization”