Is my old rig slowly dying...?

tbar

Re: Is my old rig slowly dying...?

#11 Post by tbar » 28 Jun 2020 05:13

@abasstreppas I was having some of the same issues with my Windows 7 system and decided since it's not supported anymore that I would do an upgrade to Windows 10. I thought it was going to cost me $199.00 US but when I did a search to look at reviews I found this link for a free upgrade https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10. My system has been flawless since the upgrade. I did do a fresh install ( just choose not to keep your apps during install). Prior to the upgrade I had done a major cleaning of the components including pulling the RAM modules and GPU to clean the edges. If you have any other hardware on the MB bus clean those edges also. I just use an eraser (don't scrub too hard). If the power supply is out of warranty open it up and use some canned air to clean. If it's older than 5-7 yrs consider replacing it. (I recommend Corsair brand) If you replace it make sure to to get one with some extra capacity to allow for hardware upgrades like power hungry GPU's . Your PS is a critical component particularly if the voltage from your house fluctuates much. In the US standard wall power is 110v yet I've seen it drop as low as 80v in some locations. Power supplies and computers don't do well during these drops in voltage, spikes can cause problems also. I use a Battery Backup PSU that corrects the voltage and provides good spike protection. Well worth the cost. If your power goes off it will properly shut your system down automatically. I would also run Windows Performance and Resource Monitor tools or one of many other aftermarket diagnostic software. The Windows Sysinternals Suite is a standard https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... nals-suite. Hope some of this might help.

Some newbie driver

#12 Post by Some newbie driver » 28 Jun 2020 08:09

Blackspots wrote:
27 Jun 2020 23:23
When I mean updating, I typically refer to Motherboard/CPU/RAM and often the GPU. Don't need to buy the whole computer. That's why I said 3-5 years (See upgrade history here).
Is that I was talking just about to change those pieces too. If the rest of the computer components were well chosen from the start and well maintained, they can remain for looooonger periods. Doing what you say (that is effectively to completely change the active parts of a computer), 3 to 5 years is a short cycle and a waste of money unless you have some of the requisites I mentioned:

1- Want to play at high quality levels very new and demanding games (and SCS ones doesn't fall in that category)
2- Need to use productive software that will require lots of resources like multimedia edition and creation, big software development, engineering 3D design... (then your computer is your work tool, and as any tool, it must be changed when it hinders your productivity)

If not and you purchased a good PC back in time, a 8 to 10 years cycle is perfectly possible; without any upgrade or at much with changing GPU and/or increasing RAM. The last 1 or 2 years of the cycle apply some overclock to the computer so it could give you till the last juice it has and "burn it" while you save the money necessary to the new one.

Even if SCS does a lot of graphic changes in the next updates, we could probably play very fine just upgrading the GPU those who had it very older. The rest of the computer could keep remaining the same to play this game if you already play it at desired levels. And if SCS releases "soon" the change to multi-core game; then the old computers will have a new life because all of a sudden the actual bottleneck of the game will be gone and we could finally unleash all the performance of all our computers; even older ones will greatly increase it's performance.

And about @tbar advises; as he says the Win10 free upgrade is perfectly possible still up today (seen several done on a client just last week). You only need a computer running a valid Wind Home or Pro non-volume license (aka the usual licenses attached to purchased computers or that come in the box if you purchase the windows apart). Te process is mostly flawless but have in mind to:
- Completely backup all your data first and choose the completely fresh installation as tbar explained (the one that keeps data isn't so flawlessly at all, rather a lot buggier)
- Remove any device plugged to the computer except the most basic ones: keyboard, mouse, and monitor (specially, remove ANY external USB drives!).
- If your computer has a basic integrated GPU apart of the good discrete one, I recommend too to retire the discrete GPU and connect the monitor to the integrated one for the upgrade (this way the upgrade process will not install any crapy generic old NVIDIA/AMD driver). Then, plug later the new graphic card, unplug network and install only the last specific driver you previously downloaded.

Once installed, the new Win10 will be activated with a key that will be generated in Microsoft license servers (you will never see that number) for your specific actual hardware. You will be able to reinstall Win10 whichever amount of times you want while you don't change the hardware. But if you change it (noticeable, mainly motherboard and/or CPU), it will not activate. To install Win7 on the new hardware and do again the Win10 upgrade will neither work (or shouldn't, I've not see anybody who tried it and succeed).

Anyway; the description of the problems abasstreppas is having don't make me optimistic about just being a software problem that will be gone with a fresh install.

Regards

Blackspots

#13 Post by Blackspots » 28 Jun 2020 16:25

BTW, I should mention that if you want a reliable PSU, do research and make sure you buy one who's OEM is SeaSonic or SuperFlower. (My eVGA G2 650W PSU is SeaSonic internals)
Author: C2C Eastern New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas improvments
ETS2 Map Combo: PM, Scandinavian Addon, RusMap, SR, The Great Steppe, PJ Indo Map
ATS Map Combo: Coast to Coast, CanaDream, Tonopah Reworked, US Expansion, Viva Mexico

tinusman

#14 Post by tinusman » 28 Jun 2020 18:43

Having an old rig, and a fresh win 10 install , as Some newbie driver wrote.
I recommend a clean_up of all unnecessary bloat-ware that comes for free with win 10
link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWHiP9K8fQ0
It helped me a lot, on that 8 years old PC I had up to the beginning of this year.
After buying a new case , MB , CPU, and new ram, and a pcie ssd, installed win 10,
re-used my Hdd`s and GPU and PSU,(that where not that old)
and again followed the advice of Chris Titus Tech.

good luck Abas, finding an appropriate solution.

Soilingcomic

#15 Post by Soilingcomic » 28 Jun 2020 19:51

I need the best I can afford to use VR so I'm looking forward to buying a completely new computer this fall or whenever the 3080 Ti comes out. Would prefer a next gen cpu too although it seems like Intel won't provide :(

Edit; I have a 1080 now so I deliberately skipped the 2080 generation to really get the bang for the bucks. A 30% performance increase isn't cutting it.

abasstreppas
Location: On an island outside another island, outside another island...

#16 Post by abasstreppas » 28 Jun 2020 20:18

Thanks guys for all valuable input, I really appreciate it ;)

I will probably upgrade to Win10 and do a clean install if that's possible on my OS. I did an OEM upgrade from Win 7 Home to Professional when I bought the GTX 760 GPU and some more RAM back in the day (Home edition can only handle 4GB RAM, what I know). The weird thing is that I never got my full 16GB RAM to work, I just got stuck at 8GB. I thought I had tried all possible combinations for the RAM-slots, but I probably lost track and never got the energy to redo the procedure again :lol:

My CPU is what I know the first generation i7 and I asked some geek at the computer store (where I bought the GPU and other stuff) if it was possible to upgrade the CPU, but he told me that I need to replace the motherboard then. I can't do that because of the OEM-upgrade of my Win7.

When I bought my ASUS Nvidia GTX 760Ti I also bought a 700W PSU to have enough power for the new stuff

Also, when I bought this rig back in the day I had in mind that it should be "upgradeable" for many years to come. Well, I think it has been "many" years now :P

Cheers :)

Some newbie driver

#17 Post by Some newbie driver » 28 Jun 2020 20:38

If you can't use all your RAM is because some limitation/miss-configuration of your motherboard (probably due incompatibility with ranks on memory modules). Whatever, if you can't find which could be, just be sure to don't have the RAM above 8GB installed.

About your Windows 7, there's lots of free reliable programs that will give your actual license number and you could install it over a new hardware. At most, it will require by-phone activation instead of automatic through network.

And it's true, Intel upgradability was very bad back in that time, almost every new generation used a completely different socket that force you to change the motherboard too. That's something that AMD had been doing a lot better since the FX series. But at the point you are, whenever you wanna change, you should do a complete CPU/motherboard/RAM change. PSU will be fine, graphic card has still room to be used on those games and your cooling could be adapted if from a good manufacturer (mine is Noctua and I could purchase for a tiny fraction of its cost the adapters to use it on a new CPU almost 10 years later).

Regards

PS: BTW, I suppose you had Win7 Hope 32 bits, that's why you had to upgrade to a 64 bits operative system (you tried pro, but could had been home too); in order to be able to use more than 3GB and a bit of RAM. Almost all Win10 sold now are 64 bits BUT if you upgrade from a 32 bits win7 the Win10 will also be 32 bits. So, beware all of you who wanna try this process.

abasstreppas
Location: On an island outside another island, outside another island...

#18 Post by abasstreppas » 28 Jun 2020 22:21

It's been 64 bit since the beginning

Blackspots

#19 Post by Blackspots » 28 Jun 2020 22:47

@abasstreppas Yeah, Windows 7 was 64 bit since the beginning, Windows XP had a 64 bit version, but nobody supported it, or made drivers for it.

The thing you're wrong about, is that while all 32 bit versions of Windows 7 could only support 4GB of RAM, the 64bit versions of Windows 7 supported the following:
Win 7 Home Basic -------- 8GB
Win 7 Home Premium --- 16GB
Win 7 Ultimate ----------- 192GB
Win 7 Professional ------- 192GB
Win 7 Enterprise --------- 192GB

Exception was Windows 7 Starter, it only supported 2GB in both 32 and 64 bit.

If you could only get 8GB working in Windows 7, you had Windows 7 Home Basic.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... -windows-7

As for Windows 10:
All 32bit versions: 4GB

64 bit version memory support:
Windows 10 Enterprise -------------- 6 TB
Windows 10 Pro for Workstations -- 6 TB
Windows 10 Education --------------- 2 TB
Windows 10 Pro ----------------------- 2 TB
Windows 10 Home -------------------- 128 GB
Author: C2C Eastern New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas improvments
ETS2 Map Combo: PM, Scandinavian Addon, RusMap, SR, The Great Steppe, PJ Indo Map
ATS Map Combo: Coast to Coast, CanaDream, Tonopah Reworked, US Expansion, Viva Mexico

Return to “Off topic and other voices”