ON THE ROAD - competitor of ETS2?

Airbus05

Re: ON THE ROAD - competitor of ETS2?

#21 Post by Airbus05 » 09 Jan 2017 15:40

kast wrote:Can you link some videos? I searched, but cant find more videos.
Sure, here it is (just fade out the german bla bla if you don't understand it :mrgreen: ):
https://youtu.be/nz2cLM9iJyE
Especially from 04:36 onwards, when you look to the gas station shining trough the Forest, it gives a great immersion of distance and Space. Could also be the map scale of 1:10...

Thank you for the Tip Max, i already use FOV 55 on my Actros (I want to see the tacho at least).
Cheers - Airbus05
Thanks to SCS Software and their community - you make ETS2 / ATS what it is!
Jarrad

#22 Post by Jarrad » 11 Jan 2017 05:36

SiSL wrote:Tell me a single, yes, single, any type of simulator made by Germans that ever EVER turned out good :D
OMSI
SabR

#23 Post by SabR » 11 Jan 2017 06:37

Why do I feel I've heard the interviewer's voice in the Fernbus development videos?
I think we'll find the answer to this question on whether its a competitor to ETS2, as early as the first couple of months post release. By the end of the sixth month, it'd be clear on where the game & the developer stands.

The larger map scale makes me wonder, if the mappers at SCS (lets say 5-10 for ETS2) take more than 6 months to build a country at 1:19 scale, how long would it take for a similar sized team to accomplish that at 1:10 scale?
Hmmmmm... looks scary huh! :P And then, there are some fans of ATS speculating a 30-50yr. time period, SCS would take to build the entire US. :lol:
Jarrad

#25 Post by Jarrad » 11 Jan 2017 12:14

ScaniaLAD1993

#26 Post by ScaniaLAD1993 » 19 Mar 2017 10:33

Virtual trucker since 2011
'Patiently waiting for Ireland DLC'
PC Specs: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X AMD RX 5700XT 32GB DDR4
[ external image ]
danbywinby

#27 Post by danbywinby » 19 Mar 2017 11:00

Only one truck brand and only the small rigid with no trailer type of truck. I can't see it being much of a competitor.
Murph

#28 Post by Murph » 20 Mar 2017 15:05

I don't think SCS have much to worry about here in the short term. It looks interesting to me, but like it will take a very long time before it seriously competes with ETS2 on total map area and truck variety.

Competition should be a generally good thing. SCS can probably learn the odd thing here and there in terms of what works and doesn't work for things not already in ETS2. It sounds like it will be starting out with a few things that are not in ETS2, but without many things which are in ETS2.

I'll be keeping an eye on it, might buy a license sometime if it's a reasonable price or on sale. I certainly can't see it taking a great deal of my time away from ETS2 and ATS, unless it thoroughly surprises me in a positive way.
ScaniaLAD1993 wrote:Looks awful, and they chose to use unity, which is even worse than the engine scs use …
SCS use their own in house PRISM3D engine which has been steadily refined for truck simulation over 10+ years. It's the only simulation engine out there which has been specifically tailored for truck simulation. It's also not encumbered with irrelevant stuff for other types of game.

Unity delivers the entire spectrum of games, from the worst dysfunctional garbage ever listed on Steam to award winning global successes. Whether a Unity project turns out good or bad depends very heavily on the developer. Certain parts of Unity have been notoriously bad in the past, such as the default wheel physics, but a good developer can scrap large chunks of Unity in favour of their own custom classes.
ScaniaLAD1993 wrote:Least it has DX11
DX11 is not the magic bullet that some seem to think it is. Yes, it does have some improvements over DX9, but 9 vs 11 is not going to determine which is the better game. DX(newer than 9) is coming to PRISM3D, it just takes a while to smoothly convert a large project.
klauzzy

#29 Post by klauzzy » 14 Apr 2017 09:47

did someone else of you guys try the early access of otr??
I bought it and i think if they continue developing the game this fast, scs will have a big competitor.
There will be lot of things scs didnt give theyre costumers.
Ill give the game a chance...
Especially this truck-trailer combination is so much fun to drive

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Heilbronn 1:1 - Map

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”