A few mistakes.

mel85
Beta tester

Re: A few mistakes.

#31 Post by mel85 » 23 Apr 2013 12:10

OK. I will not stay here without speaking while a man insult us (Romain and me). For recall he said that Romain is an impostor (he just was brought up on this kind of trucking by his father, who help us when we had doubt from technical terms). He also said that is us old medicinal vocabulary. I'm just 26 years old and I try having a good way of speak (not a childish's language). Finally, he said we was trolls because he doesn't understand that :
- we have length constraint
- he doesn't respect our choice (for example : shift for each keyboard letters - Maj Gauche)
- he decided that we had to add accents on shifts letters : that's not an obligation but a recommendation. In Dirt 3, they don't use accentuation on shifted characters (as you can see, they used ECRAN and not ÉCRAN, PARTAGE and not PARTAGÉ, RESEAU and not RÉSEAU). Translators are professionnals for this game. We have made choice for a better display ingame and it seems that's not a bad choice because professionnal translators made the same choice... We are not professionnals but our point of view defends oneself.
[ external image ]

OK, there is few grammar problems and some errors, we are not professionnal translators and human can make errors but we have
heard suggestions... If he respected our work, he just said us what it is not good and we would change without take us for shit (sorry for the word).

Then, this guy thinks that translate this game take 5 minutes but we've made a lot of test for finding translations wich are not cut in the game. For example, we ask any idea form others translators for "Upgrade Shop". This was on Jan, 30, 2013.
We said that we try some translations but all had 1 letters too long. What does he do ? He had 3 letters on our translation !!
As he says : Ridiculous !

Now, I will speak about his technical terms. For him :
Parking Brake = Handbrake
Motor Brake = Brake on exhaust
I pass through the others technical terms...

Last point. This guy has changed a lot of strings without speak with us. At the lastest news, translation is a based on exchanges. For example, with Romain we have speak many hours on Skype for translate this game. Hyeron came and broke our work.

Hyeron is belgian, he criticize french peolpe, as he wants... So maybe I can laughing about the fact that in Belgium there are not able to be agree on the official language, on their little stupid war on flemish or walloon... but it will be childish...

Now, it seems that guys which take part in this topic don't speak french (except one or two man(s)).

In conclusion, I hope that others translators won't have a new Hyeron build who believe that he is THE translator.
altx

#32 Post by altx » 23 Apr 2013 12:32

It's true that I don't speak French. I was just following the discussion.

I appreciate it to hear your point of view.

Can't you guys shake hands (or kiss) and be friends?
Iron Maiden's gonna get you
Scream for mercy // He laughs as he's watching you bleed // Killer behind you // His blood lust defies all his needs // Look out I'm coming for you!
Unco

#33 Post by Unco » 23 Apr 2013 13:26

I don't speak French either. English, Spanish, Danish, self-taught Portuguese and self-taught Italian, yes. But not French. My agreeing with one version of 'handbrake' was just an opinion based on my knowledge of Latin languages. It was not intended to offend anyone.

Of course, the conversation can be skewed when there is only one side to the story, so thank you for giving us your side of it too.

I too call for a group hug, but no kisses, thanks. :D
ohaha

#34 Post by ohaha » 23 Apr 2013 17:09

I do speak French, but I am not going to get into this and I advise everyone to do the same. I apologize for stepping into it, in the first place.
I warned Hyeron that this may not go as smoothly as he might think. Well, it didn't...
Now, I wish you all calm down and do not turn this topic into another quarrel.

Please, avoid strong language (all of you) and, if cooperation is not possible, leave it as it is.
Retired, but still loving it.
Hyeron

#35 Post by Hyeron » 27 Apr 2013 06:47

mel85 wrote:OK. I will not stay here without speaking while a man insult us (Romain and me). For recall he said that Romain is an impostor (he just was brought up on this kind of trucking by his father, who help us when we had doubt from technical terms). He also said that is us old medicinal vocabulary. I'm just 26 years old and I try having a good way of speak (not a childish's language). Finally, he said we was trolls because he doesn't understand that :
- we have length constraint
I know. Now let's get this straight: you've been on this for months. I had been doing ONE check through the strings - without any kind of external tools. And I *do* know about length constraints, thank you very much. My calling you a troll was mainly because the FIRST thing you did was... a report for not knowing what a parking brake is. Gimme a break, thanks.
My first run through a translation is to throw in ideas (usually with several variants, which isn't allowed by the very much limited getlocalizaiton environment)
- he doesn't respect our choice (for example : shift for each keyboard letters - Maj Gauche)
Oh really? I changed it to Maj. Gauche. Why? Because maj., unless I'm very, very senile, is an abbreviation for majuscule.
- he decided that we had to add accents on shifts letters : that's not an obligation but a recommendation. In Dirt 3, they don't use accentuation on shifted characters (as you can see, they used ECRAN and not ÉCRAN, PARTAGE and not PARTAGÉ, RESEAU and not RÉSEAU). Translators are professionnals for this game. We have made choice for a better display ingame and it seems that's not a bad choice because professionnal translators made the same choice... We are not professionnals but our point of view defends oneself.
[ external image ]
Ever played Mystic Quest? Accent marks on capital letters should be used unless there's a clear impossibility to do so. That's proper French for you. See the Académie Française for more details. And don't you Wikipedia me. The translation is fr_FR. Not fr_CA.
OK, there is few grammar problems and some errors, we are not professionnal translators and human can make errors but we have
heard suggestions... If he respected our work, he just said us what it is not good and we would change without take us for shit (sorry for the word).

Then, this guy thinks that translate this game take 5 minutes but we've made a lot of test for finding translations wich are not cut in the game. For example, we ask any idea form others translators for "Upgrade Shop". This was on Jan, 30, 2013.
We said that we try some translations but all had 1 letters too long. What does he do ? He had 3 letters on our translation !!
As he says : Ridiculous !
What's more ridiculous, pray tell? My not caring for length on a first run, or the insane list of spelling errors and the likes still being in the game?
Now, I will speak about his technical terms. For him :
Parking Brake = Handbrake
Motor Brake = Brake on exhaust
I pass through the others technical terms...
I used handbrake, again, as one of the possibilities. The other one was Frein de stationnement - just like it's better to use "aire de stationnement" over "aire de parking". Indeed, it was very probably a bad choice. Again, this was a first run through the strings.
Brake on exhaust: Nope. Exhaust brake. Quite a difference. The string was added (and I certainly won't argue against its removal) for checking against the English version - which uses "Motor brake" (which, according to SCS? isn't "engine brake" but "exhaust brake"). It would VERY probably have been removed on the second or third run through, as the use of Ralentisseur would have allowed for consistency - a consistency which, I will remind you, is still broken to this day as you've got "'Ralentisseur" and "Retarder"
Last point. This guy has changed a lot of strings without speak with us. At the lastest news, translation is a based on exchanges. For example, with Romain we have speak many hours on Skype for translate this game. Hyeron came and broke our work.
Of course I didn't speak with you. How the hell would I have?
- Do I know you? No I don't.
- Do I have any means to join you? No I don't.
Hyeron is belgian, he criticize french peolpe, as he wants... So maybe I can laughing about the fact that in Belgium there are not able to be agree on the official language, on their little stupid war on flemish or walloon... but it will be childish...
I don't criticize French people, I criticize the quality of this particular work, as there's quite a list of things that should be changed - and that calls for a lengthy revision process. On the other hand I don't see why I'm even answering this, as you're falling into almost ad hominem attacks and preposterous assumptions.
In conclusion, I hope that others translators won't have a new Hyeron build who believe that he is THE translator.
I don't. What I DO believe is that you're still quite a ways from having a proper translation.

Return to “French”