A few mistakes.

ohaha

Re: A few mistakes.

#21 Post by ohaha » 22 Apr 2013 18:46

Hyeron wrote:
altx wrote:Can't you report them?
I could, but I don't exactly see the point as the first thing they did was report me, saying II don't know what a parking brake is ( :roll: ) after I changed their translation with two valid possibilities and picking the more common one over the more... "technical" one - that is, changing "frein de parking" to either "frein de stationnement" or "frein à main", as the former is a proper french translaiton and avoids an english word that has a clear, clean French equivalent and the latter is the more common, albeit less precise, form.
I could, but I don't exactly have the time. I've got a full time dayjob, during which I try to work on the writing of another game. I've got kids, a divorce and my looking for an apartment on my hands. I 've got another translation and the rewriting of a third game for my evenings and weekends. ETS2 being what it is, it takes time to research whatever I don't have/know and check whatever I do have/know against the official terms in the field, and it's that much more work.
I could, but I can't exactly be bothered to argue with people who go against the advice of the Académie Française arguing that Wikipedia said it's OK not to put accent marks on capital letters. With people who are willing to argue against Renault, Scania et al. because they'd rather be using "retarder" as is, whereas every translation coming from constructors uses "ralentisseur", arguing that everyone does it, citing Scania - the same Scania that has a system called Retarder - note the usage of the capital, to describe their retarder (that is translated by them as "ralentisseur" too in the very description page of the system - see, I do research stuff, isn't that incredible). I can't be bothered to argue with people who accuse me of being verbatim when they can't use a commercial formulation for "enjoy" in the dealers' mails and prefer to use the verbatim and improper "profitez".

When I put in 2-3 hours of research about trucks, official translations and chemical components, plus the actual editing, I like it not going to waste in a matter of minutes.
I could if I actually had time and if it wasn't so pointless.

So I think I'll just keep enjoying the beta (in English), report whatever bugs I find (I've still got one up my sleeve) and relax a bit.
I would've gone for "frein à main", too. I also agree on "profitez". But I'm not gonna go into this... Anyway, I do appreciate your efforts, I know good intentions when I see them.

So, enjoy the English version, then! :)
Retired, but still loving it.
Unco

#22 Post by Unco » 22 Apr 2013 20:24

I would have also gone with "frein à main", as it is the most accurate colloquial equivalent to 'handbrake'.

Kudos for trying. Maybe one day you will want to take on the challenge again, as unrewarding as it may seem.

Enjoy the game for now.

:)
n4gix

#23 Post by n4gix » 22 Apr 2013 20:49

Hyeron wrote:
I could, but I don't exactly see the point as the first thing they did was report me, saying II don't know what a parking brake is ( :roll: ) after I changed their translation with two valid possibilities and picking the more common one over the more... "technical" one - that is, changing "frein de parking" to either "frein de stationnement" or "frein à main", as the former is a proper french translaiton and avoids an english word that has a clear, clean French equivalent and the latter is the more common, albeit less precise, form.
Imagine this! Google's Translator agrees with you... Quelle surprise, hein?

retarder > ralentisseur
parking brake > frein de stationnement
handbrake > frein à main

From a quick glance, SCS would probably be better off just using Google's Translator!
After all, it's free and doesn't argue with itself! :lol:

D'un rapide coup d'œil, SCS serait probablement préférable de simplement utiliser le traducteur de Google!
Après tout, c'est gratuit et ne discute pas avec elle-même! :lol:
Fr. Bill
Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Max Modeling for Eaglesoft Development Group & Military Visualizations
It is not wise to contest forum moderators; they have more ways to admonish than you have of evading, (Shin'a'in Proverb) :)
Unco

#24 Post by Unco » 22 Apr 2013 20:55

There is, of course, the matter of language evolution. I hear (or rather, heard, back in Australia) a few people start calling the handbrake "e-brake". I believe this is an American term. Regardless of whether it's correct or not, the Australian term is "handbrake", but these trends seem to go out of control in no time at all. Maybe too much "Fast and the furious" influencing the young ones??? ;)
n4gix

#25 Post by n4gix » 22 Apr 2013 21:05

Many here in the U.S. call it the "emergency brake" since it sometimes is used if for some reason the normal brake system is 'broken,' such as piston seals ruptured, fluid low/lost, broken hydraulic fluid line(s), or even simple engine failure...

As it happens I have myself had to use it for that very reason, as my power brakes suddenly failed one day while going down a steep overpass. Fortunately, the mechanical cable and enough pressure from my left foot allowed me to stop at the bottom before blowing through the red light and the busy intersection! :o

But translating that would leave one with the rather ugly "freinage d'urgence..."

I still get the giggles every time I hear an Englishman refer to the "bonnet" or "boot..." :mrgreen:
Fr. Bill
Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Max Modeling for Eaglesoft Development Group & Military Visualizations
It is not wise to contest forum moderators; they have more ways to admonish than you have of evading, (Shin'a'in Proverb) :)
altx

#26 Post by altx » 22 Apr 2013 21:30

Hyeron wrote:
I could, but I don't exactly have the time. I've got a full time dayjob, during which I try to work on the writing of another game. I've got kids, a divorce and my looking for an apartment on my hands. I 've got another translation and the rewriting of a third game for my evenings and weekends. ETS2 being what it is, it takes time to research whatever I don't have/know and check whatever I do have/know against the official terms in the field, and it's that much more work.
I could, but I can't exactly be bothered to argue with people who go against the advice of the Académie Française arguing that Wikipedia said it's OK not to put accent marks on capital letters. With people who are willing to argue against Renault, Scania et al. because they'd rather be using "retarder" as is, whereas every translation coming from constructors uses "ralentisseur", arguing that everyone does it, citing Scania - the same Scania that has a system called Retarder - note the usage of the capital, to describe their retarder (that is translated by them as "ralentisseur" too in the very description page of the system - see, I do research stuff, isn't that incredible). I can't be bothered to argue with people who accuse me of being verbatim when they can't use a commercial formulation for "enjoy" in the dealers' mails and prefer to use the verbatim and improper "profitez".

When I put in 2-3 hours of research about trucks, official translations and chemical components, plus the actual editing, I like it not going to waste in a matter of minutes.
I could if I actually had time and if it wasn't so pointless.

So I think I'll just keep enjoying the beta (in English), report whatever bugs I find (I've still got one up my sleeve) and relax a bit.
Okay, loud and clear. Well, as I said, I appreciate the effort. Too bad, it didn't work out.
Iron Maiden's gonna get you
Scream for mercy // He laughs as he's watching you bleed // Killer behind you // His blood lust defies all his needs // Look out I'm coming for you!
Unco

#27 Post by Unco » 22 Apr 2013 21:49

n4gix wrote:Many here in the U.S. call it the "emergency brake" since it sometimes is used if for some reason the normal brake system is 'broken,' such as piston seals ruptured, fluid low/lost, broken hydraulic fluid line(s), or even simple engine failure...

As it happens I have myself had to use it for that very reason, as my power brakes suddenly failed one day while going down a steep overpass. Fortunately, the mechanical cable and enough pressure from my left foot allowed me to stop at the bottom before blowing through the red light and the busy intersection! :o

But translating that would leave one with the rather ugly "freinage d'urgence..."

I still get the giggles every time I hear an Englishman refer to the "bonnet" or "boot..." :mrgreen:
That just brings back memories of my 1st year as an apprentice motor mechanic. My brakes failed on approach to a set of traffic lights at a busy intersection in Sydney. Luckily, I was driving a manual gearbox vehicle at the time... compression brake through the gears and 'handbrake' saved the day, followed by a quick U-turn afterwards, back to work at 6pm... to fix my brakes.
HUSKY.62

#28 Post by HUSKY.62 » 22 Apr 2013 23:11

You do not have time to talk ... me either. Especially when I have a stubborn person in front of me and consider all know by denigrating the more developed the work of others (me and mélanie). Never until now have I felt such contempt for our efforts.

I'll take the example of "Frein à main" which you love so much. I never heard them say handbrake on a truck. I bathe in the transport industry since childhood. My father is 56 years old and 38 years of road behind him and when I told him your translation, he laughs. I trusted my knowledge and those of an experienced truck driver, rather than to a person who prefers to translate literally without worrying about the technical aspects expected of a simulator. And yes for your information a simulator must be sharp and get closer to closer to the real.

So I say and repeat "Frein de parking" is said

I enclose the document that you are a fan of pdf and other documentation found on the internet.

http://www.renault-trucks.fr/premium-ro ... route.html

I quote this piece of article that says

" Arrêt Moteur Automatique : ce système coupe automatiquement le moteur du véhicule lorsque celui-ci tourne au ralenti depuis plus de 5 minutes, que le frein de parking est activé, qu’aucune prise de mouvement n’est engagée et que le moteur est chaud.
Le chauffeur est prévenu avant l’arrêt du moteur par un pictogramme sur l’afficheur."

This proves that you defend things that are completely wrong on the principle that you are not familiar while despising us that I do not appreciate at all. Working with you is not possible because of your techy behavior.

We know challenge ourselves. For a proof of one your translation was kept. You should wear a review on your behavior before criticizing the work of others. We are not in a lonely but community system. A little respect for others does not hurt.

A listening it seems that the translation is a disaster when it is not. And we received the positive comments about her.

I stay there. But I could not let this go unanswered and that person denigrate us as she did. A little respect please. I hope not to have to work with you again.
HUSKY.62 / Romain / My World of Trucks

ETS2 & ATS French Translator

Founder of www.realtrucksim.com
Hyeron

#29 Post by Hyeron » 23 Apr 2013 06:07

Sure.
https://til.scania.com/groups/bwd/docum ... 014_04.pdf
"Frein de stationnement".
When one version has an English word and the second has a proper French word you usually use the latter. It might have been a bad choice to pick "frein à main" over it on the first run, but it ("frein de stationnement")'s still preferable to "frein de parking". I defend thing on 4 principles:
* If the constructor uses it, better use it
* If the dev has made a choice that overrides the constructor's vocabulary, it must at least be considered (e.g. "motor brake" for "retarder")
* No English words unless absolutely necessary.
* What do the players think?

PS - Oh, and don't worry about my behavior - I'm a d*** with myself too. :mrgreen:
Oh, BTW, you may want to use "apuré" or ("réglé") for the overdrafts.
altx

#30 Post by altx » 23 Apr 2013 08:06

HUSKY.62 wrote:You do not have time to talk ... me either. Especially when I have a stubborn person in front of me and consider all know by denigrating the more developed the work of others (me and mélanie). Never until now have I felt such contempt for our efforts.

I'll take the example of "Frein à main" which you love so much. I never heard them say handbrake on a truck. I bathe in the transport industry since childhood. My father is 56 years old and 38 years of road behind him and when I told him your translation, he laughs. I trusted my knowledge and those of an experienced truck driver, rather than to a person who prefers to translate literally without worrying about the technical aspects expected of a simulator. And yes for your information a simulator must be sharp and get closer to closer to the real.

So I say and repeat "Frein de parking" is said

I enclose the document that you are a fan of pdf and other documentation found on the internet.

http://www.renault-trucks.fr/premium-ro ... route.html

I quote this piece of article that says

" Arrêt Moteur Automatique : ce système coupe automatiquement le moteur du véhicule lorsque celui-ci tourne au ralenti depuis plus de 5 minutes, que le frein de parking est activé, qu’aucune prise de mouvement n’est engagée et que le moteur est chaud.
Le chauffeur est prévenu avant l’arrêt du moteur par un pictogramme sur l’afficheur."

This proves that you defend things that are completely wrong on the principle that you are not familiar while despising us that I do not appreciate at all. Working with you is not possible because of your techy behavior.

We know challenge ourselves. For a proof of one your translation was kept. You should wear a review on your behavior before criticizing the work of others. We are not in a lonely but community system. A little respect for others does not hurt.

A listening it seems that the translation is a disaster when it is not. And we received the positive comments about her.

I stay there. But I could not let this go unanswered and that person denigrate us as she did. A little respect please. I hope not to have to work with you again.
Fair enough. However, it doesn't really explain the grammatical errors mentioned in this thread.
Iron Maiden's gonna get you
Scream for mercy // He laughs as he's watching you bleed // Killer behind you // His blood lust defies all his needs // Look out I'm coming for you!

Return to “French”