Formal vs informal form

krmarci

Formal vs informal form

#1 Post by krmarci » 09 May 2020 07:50

At border crossings, when the police officers are checking our documents, the game says "Please wait". This was translated to Hungarian as "Kérjük, várj." However, "kérjük" is the formal form and "várj" is the informal form, making this sentence grammatically incorrect. I would suggest using the formal form "Kérjük, várjon" (or if this is said by a single border guard, "kérem, várjon"), as I think it's improbable that a border guard would use the informal form when addressing an unknown driver.
JohnBart

Re: Formal vs informal form

#2 Post by JohnBart » 11 May 2020 13:29

Since this occurence of the phrase can indeed be attributed to in-game border guard personnel, I've changed it to "Kérem, várjon!". Other UI occurences of "Please wait" (for example, when logging in to the WoT service) have been updated to "Kérlek, várj!". Thanks for the feedback! ;)
Trucks & Trailers, Scania Truck Driving, ETS2, and ATS translator. Former ETS2/ATS community beta tester. Former ProMods beta tester. Hungary Map, ProMods and Grand Utopia aficionado. Pre-recorded DJ at RestaCar Pirate Radio.

Return to “Hungarian (Hungary)”