ETS 2 Autosave Freezing Bug

Reinhard

Re: ETS 2 Autosave Freezing Bug

#11 Post by Reinhard » 05 Jan 2018 10:57

Where is that date coming from? I've first read next Tuesday (Patchday). But anyway, a first fix for Windows was already pushed out two days ago, and installed on my PC yesterday. (kb4056892).

I can't report any noticeable performance loss. My CPU is a 4 years old Intel i5.
EliotMess

#12 Post by EliotMess » 05 Jan 2018 14:13

Reinhard wrote: 04 Jan 2018 23:48I never understood why there is no way to tell Windows "I'm gaming, do nothing else, you have survived any duration when the PC was shut down, so why do you have to do all kind of stupid things right NOW?".
Using the game mode in W10 FCU kinda helps, it halts secondary stuff while we're gaming (except security updates) and resumes them when we finish.
Not perfect, but still better than it was before. :roll:
xXCARL1992Xx

#13 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 05 Jan 2018 14:19

im not even using the GM and can ply ETS/ATS normally and without interruption from Windows Update because i install them if the shutdown button shows it

AND you can set a using time in windows 10 where no updates will be installed also
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#14 Post by Mohegan13 » 05 Jan 2018 14:37

Actually windows 10 will restart your computer. It's called active hours.

Now since the previous update 1607 the active hours are much better (you can set a big time frame) but in the original 1507 builds the time was much shorter and I did find that Windows would reboot automatically even when I was actively using it. Very annoying. I haven't actually had that happen since the 1607 builds, but I now have my active hours set from 8am - 11pm so it's unlikely to be an issue any more and if I know there are updates waiting will generally manually restart just in case.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
EliotMess

#15 Post by EliotMess » 05 Jan 2018 14:42

Yes, Windows updates are still downloaded and installed anyway. That Active hours setting only prevents auto-restart. Game stuttering always hints me something is going on.
[ external image ]
Reinhard

#16 Post by Reinhard » 05 Jan 2018 15:00

Correct. For example yesterday, the last cumulative update was installed during my personal "active hours". I noticed only when I wanted to shut down my PC.
EliotMess wrote: 05 Jan 2018 14:13 Using the game mode in W10 FCU kinda helps, it halts secondary stuff while we're gaming (except security updates) and resumes them when we finish.
Eliot, all true. I just think that the Windows OS design isn't very suitable for games. Maybe the components of DirectX and those which DirectX relies on are not able to survive without constant chatter. Probably Windows would suffocate if it couldn't write one MB of report messages to the logs - per second. If I watch how Windows is terrorizing the disk during a simple shutdown I shudder. And this is even without preparing a "fast boot", and all user programs already terminated.
FroschGames

#17 Post by FroschGames » 06 Jan 2018 11:31

Ok guys, you've had your discussion about Windows 10, but please let's get back to the topic.
I've just tried to reproduce this bug on a brand new profile without any drivers or garages, but I can't. The game doesn't lag when autosaving. I guess you were right, the game does choke once the filesize gets too large. I have at least 150 drivers on my profile, guess that could be the problem. But I'm not gonna get rid of them. I suppose I have to live with the problem until SCS Software improves their autosave-feature.
room217au

#18 Post by room217au » 17 Jan 2018 03:17

Reinhard wrote: 04 Jan 2018 23:48or if some background activity of Windows or other running programs is stealing CPU time?
I can play RAGE, or FarCry, or DooM4, or a number of other graphically-intensive games and I don't notice the same interruption to gameplay. I'm not saying the stutter bothers me because the biggest issue I did have with ETS2 was the save-lag that disappeared with SSD install.
Could it be the game engine SCS uses doesn't utilise the CPU as efficiently as, say, Vulkan or Dx10/11/12 would/could/does ??
Maybe the stutter is a by-product of that? And in concert with your remark about CPU time and other applications might interrupt the CPU more than it otherwise would with later game engines?
If you suck at playing the trumpet, that's probably why.
Reinhard

#19 Post by Reinhard » 17 Jan 2018 09:23

room217au wrote: 17 Jan 2018 03:17 I can play RAGE, or FarCry, or DooM4, or a number of other graphically-intensive games and I don't notice the same interruption to gameplay.
Why does everybody seems to think that this not one of the graphically-intensive games? Okay, I'm hardly a gamer, but DOOM 2016 I've played. You don't find any comparable level of detail in that game. What make it look great is effects, not amount of polygons. Models are way simpler. And there is no traffic. :D
room217au wrote: 17 Jan 2018 03:17 Could it be the game engine SCS uses doesn't utilise the CPU as efficiently as, say, Vulkan or Dx10/11/12 would/could/does ??
Maybe the stutter is a by-product of that? And in concert with your remark about CPU time and other applications might interrupt the CPU more than it otherwise would with later game engines?
The devs already stated several times that going a DX12 or Vulcan path will get us some improvements, but will provably not break the ceiling.

I know a bit about software, but only very, very little about graphics programming. And nothing about graphics engine design. But I've heard that the big players in this field have thrown millions into their engines, and still do.

I hope for improvements, but I don't expect a breakthrough. But you never know.
room217au

#20 Post by room217au » 17 Jan 2018 11:02

Reinhard wrote: 17 Jan 2018 09:23Why does everybody seems to think that this not one of the graphically-intensive games? Okay, I'm hardly a gamer, but DOOM 2016 I've played. You don't find any comparable level of detail in that game. What make it look great is effects, not amount of polygons. Models are way simpler. And there is no traffic. :D
It's the effects which take the horsepower to render them smoothly. Especially when you got 5 Imps runnin' at ya with two Hell Knights flankin' 'em while you're swappin' through 9 weapons and running backwards through a minefield of exploding barrels and falling girders wondering if you're gonna have time to change your underwear before they put what's left of you in a, albeit tiny, coffin :)
Irony:
I've been a DooM-er since 1994. Played nothing but FPS's - exclusively John Carmack's (iD Software) FPS games - and if it wasn't I didn't wanna know. I'm just amazed at his brilliance and the tech behind how they're made.
One day I stumble across ETS2 completely by accident and suddenly I don't play anything else other than it and ATS. Sure I snap off a few rockets and pulses in DooM and RAGE, maybe every few months but 99% of game time is SCS only.
It's been years now and I don't know if I can put into words why that is.
If you suck at playing the trumpet, that's probably why.

Return to “Technical Problems”