How to adjust mouse movement

rocky289

How to adjust mouse movement

#1 Post by rocky289 » 19 Jan 2018 03:25

I have my mouse cursor speed set fairly slow in windows control panel.
But when I start ETS2 it goes to a faster setting.
I have a G27 wheel, so don't use the mouse for steering.
But it is faster than I want for looking round in the cab.
The only reference to mouse or cursor I have found is at the bottom of the controls list, but dosent seem to change anything.
If it makes any difference I use a trackball mouse, because of a disability.
Grimples

Re: How to adjust mouse movement

#2 Post by Grimples » 19 Jan 2018 04:17

Not sure of any other way but i modify the camera settings for each truck.

def\camera\units\interior_scania_r_2016.sii
mouse_sensitivity: 0.3
Lower it a few fractions.
Cadde

#3 Post by Cadde » 19 Jan 2018 23:43

You can set your mouse look sensitivity via console commands. Don't know if the same is possible for cursor sensitivity though.
And the reason it doesn't respect your windows settings is because it's using DirectInput for mouse control. DirectInput doesn't care about Windows sensitivity, it's a raw data feed from your mouse. The only way (short of a setting in console, that i don't know if it exists) is to physically reduce the sensitivity of your mouse. For example by reducing the mouse's DPI or reducing it's polling rate. (Default is somewhere between 125 Hz and 500 Hz, it's possible to use special software to change this polling rate and it would affects DirectInput as well)

EDIT: BTW, i do recall there being a "native mouse" option to the game somewhere somehow. Be it in options, config file or via command line. You can search for that and maybe get lucky?
Native means it would use the Windows message queue for input rather than DirectInput. In other words, it would respect the Windows sensitivity setting.
On extended hiatus.
rocky289

#4 Post by rocky289 » 20 Jan 2018 00:21

Grimples wrote: 19 Jan 2018 04:17 Not sure of any other way but i modify the camera settings for each truck.

def\camera\units\interior_scania_r_2016.sii
mouse_sensitivity: 0.3
Lower it a few fractions.
Thanks I'll look into that.
rocky289

#5 Post by rocky289 » 20 Jan 2018 00:22

Cadde wrote: 19 Jan 2018 23:43 You can set your mouse look sensitivity via console commands. Don't know if the same is possible for cursor sensitivity though.
And the reason it doesn't respect your windows settings is because it's using DirectInput for mouse control. DirectInput doesn't care about Windows sensitivity, it's a raw data feed from your mouse. The only way (short of a setting in console, that i don't know if it exists) is to physically reduce the sensitivity of your mouse. For example by reducing the mouse's DPI or reducing it's polling rate. (Default is somewhere between 125 Hz and 500 Hz, it's possible to use special software to change this polling rate and it would affects DirectInput as well)

EDIT: BTW, i do recall there being a "native mouse" option to the game somewhere somehow. Be it in options, config file or via command line. You can search for that and maybe get lucky?
Native means it would use the Windows message queue for input rather than DirectInput. In other words, it would respect the Windows sensitivity setting.
Thanks but thats way over my head.
skycamel

#6 Post by skycamel » 10 Oct 2020 14:22

Hi,
I know, very old thread, but just for the sake of other people looking/struggling with this annoying slow moving cursor in the UI (especially with triple screen)
Thanks to the comment of @Cadde I found the solution!
In Steam you add the launch parameter "-sysmouse" and it will use your windows mouse settings.
Hallelujah
Luc
Qwertyuiop

#7 Post by Qwertyuiop » 21 Mar 2021 17:37

Quote removed - Don't quote the post above - Rule 2.12

Hey skycamel, just wanna say thanks for posting this tip. My mouse cursor in the UI started moving like a snail. Windows settings had no effect. In-game controls - mouse settings didn't make a difference. It happened when I moved from my old PC @1080p to a new PC capable of 4K. It was ruining the game, but with the launch parameter now the mouse cursor is working great again :D
effte

#8 Post by effte » 16 Sep 2021 09:30

And with that, my one major annoyance is history!

Thank you.

This should be in an FAQ somewhere, if it isn't already (in which case I missed it).

It should also be default. Do they have an issue tracker or bug/improvement reporting system?

Cheers,
/Fred
Madkine
Global moderator

#9 Post by Madkine » 16 Sep 2021 10:29

It's not a bug, don't report it as one. You can however request it in the feature request/wishlist forum.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

Return to “Technical Problems”