Black textures

Etrusan

Re: Black textures

#11 Post by Etrusan » 12 Sep 2020 10:21

DXT5 is BC3. To get rid of black textures, save them as .tga, create the .tobj and pack with Conversion Tools (Win only as far as I know).
Seasonic SSR-650TD; Intel Core i5-6700K; Gainward GTX 1060 6GB Phoenix GS; 2x Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB; 2x Crucial MX500 2TB; 3x Seagate IronWolf Pro; Corsair Force MP510 960GB; 2x 24" AOC I2481FXH; Windows 10

www.etrusan.net
armittage

#12 Post by armittage » 28 Sep 2020 14:37

2 Etrusan: Thx for a tip, I'll keep batch processing via wine/windows tools as a last resort.

Good news for linux & black / missing textures:

I was trying to get rid of black in RusMap 2.2.1. With trial and error I made my best from guides of Backspots and J.Random.

Script for failing textures was in vain. As almost all textures in both model archives are DXT5 and imagemagick opens them. So does Gimp with dds plugin. In failed ended up mostly IFS-handicaped files.

I parked under the Stalingrad memorial (all black). I tried not to do any change to identified texture and export it from gimp to dds with dxt5 and lanczos. And the memorial stnd there in all its beauty.

I decided not to meddle with anything in the images, just to resave all of them as Blackspots says. Just used the scripts J.Random provides. Changed parameters of file-dds-save to 3 1 3 ...,

Code: Select all

(file-dds-save RUN-NONINTERACTIVE image drawable filename filename 3 1 3 0 0 7 1 0 0 0 0 0 0)
as 4 is for BC3nm/DXT5nm and distorted the colors. Added echo $i to see the culprit if the script hangs and called gimp-console for every single dds. Hand-corrected some 2 and 6 whitespace files - the only hangs. If someone else wants to go this way,

for i in `find ./ -name "*.dds"`; do echo $i; gimp-console -i -b '(refresh-dds-nrm "'$i'")'; done
I have almost no black objects in my RusMap anymore and declare it thus OpenGL 98% compatible. Some buildings still have funny glow/reflection (too much, too little, from unnatural angles...) - any ideas? But no matter of this, the playability increased dramatically.

Thx a lot.

Now I'm fighting SouthernRegion. There is much more IFS problematics - can whitespace names cause problems in linux version? Can anyone confirm/deny, evidence-based?

As second, unexpected EOFs and failing of gimp-dds-plugin to ship any data is frequent. It's funny, but imagemagick is less prone to fail on these files. Converting including mipmaps makes them visible for gimp again. The occurrence is clustered - it's usually one folder, sometimes including subfolders, as if tools of some modeler did this with all textures they exported. Where no white spaces, task can be simplified

for i in `find ./ -name "*.dds"`; do echo $i; convert $i -format dds -define dds:compression=dxt5 $i; done
No lanczos, though. Or maybe I cannot find it in imagemagic docs. I'm a beginner.

Thx for any answers and new ideas.

a.
Etrusan

#13 Post by Etrusan » 28 Sep 2020 14:50

Alpha is used to encode specular so if you change it in any way, it also changes how the specular behaves.
Seasonic SSR-650TD; Intel Core i5-6700K; Gainward GTX 1060 6GB Phoenix GS; 2x Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB; 2x Crucial MX500 2TB; 3x Seagate IronWolf Pro; Corsair Force MP510 960GB; 2x 24" AOC I2481FXH; Windows 10

www.etrusan.net
armittage

#14 Post by armittage » 28 Sep 2020 15:59

2 Etrusan: I tried not to change anything. Just opened without mipmaps and saved with (for me) correct compression. The high alpha must come from original textures. It's not bad, though. Mostly harmless.
armittage

#15 Post by armittage » 29 Sep 2020 15:04

I declare Southern Region v. 9.0 98% OpenGL compatible.

Most of textures suffer from unexpected EOF and gimp cannot open them. Imagemagick does, I used the simple script with 'convert' above, As switches for logging in imagemagick are too high for me, I used simple 'script/Ctrl+D' console logging utility and looked up the problem files in 'typescript' log.

Problem files were: 1. whitespaces 2. special characters in names (?!?)
Imagemagick won't open funny dds with light blue/light purple images looking as relief imprints. But they were easy to open/resave with gimp, vice versa. And were not many.

As written in post to Etrusan, some textures are brighter than IRL. Not many. SR and RM are beautiful piece of work.
danilo_branzan

#16 Post by danilo_branzan » 01 Dec 2020 00:25

Hi guys,

I have ETS2 installed on my pc for many years, but recently it has failed graphics / textures (vegetation, streets, highways, graphic elements, etc.). I've never had this problem in years. I've tried reinstalling, checking file integrity using steam, and even downgrading from version 1.39 to 1.38, but to no avail.

I noticed the problem in version 1.39, I don't know if it has something to do with the version.

I created a new profile without mods as directed. I have ATS, it runs normally.

Follow game.log link: https://pastebin.com/VD7Ar8uw

I look forward to returning to solve the problem, thank you.
Madkine
Global moderator

#17 Post by Madkine » 01 Dec 2020 07:57

@danilo_branzan The log you posted is clean with no major issues in it.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Reinhard

#18 Post by Reinhard » 01 Dec 2020 08:03

You are using OpenGL, instead of the usual DirectX. Is that intended? Steam remembers the last choice, without telling you...
danilo_branzan

#19 Post by danilo_branzan » 01 Dec 2020 16:11

Tested running with directx, came back as it was before !!! I don't know why it was in OpenGL and I didn't change anything, strange, but important that it resolved !!! thank you
Last edited by supersobes on 01 Dec 2020 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quote [Forum rule 2.12]

Return to “Technical Problems”