Frametime/stutter issues with ownable trailers?

plykkegaard

Re: Frametime/stutter issues with ownable trailers?

#41 Post by plykkegaard » 17 Jan 2021 11:40

Very frequent updates to the game log will cause stuttering, it is a well known issue
Maybe one day these operations will have it's own thread like SCS did for the game saves

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Some newbie driver

#42 Post by Some newbie driver » 17 Jan 2021 12:12

The saving int he log is already in another thread plykkegaard (as far as I remember what Max told us). But it doesn't matter because if the logging is registering errors with models/sounds/whatever component of the game; that means the main thread is who's informing of those errors and dealing with them and that will keep causing stutter by the overload caused. The main thread should had to keep the control of what to do when it finds errors in the data it processes. Even if the log would be disabled, the stutters would remain.

Regards
plykkegaard

#43 Post by plykkegaard » 17 Jan 2021 12:27

Sounds a bit odd that error handling alone puts a big toll on the ressource usage (log writing would make sense)
I know that if you rely on exception handling and let all errors move up though the stack to a common handler can cause measureable delays but not on this level

I know the game save is moved I haven't read about the game log handlng but an bvious choice as I don't need to control the result just fire and forget
Hmm maybe the class to the thread is stacking up causing delays? All theses errors are unwanted behaviour not nessecary something to optimize for

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Some newbie driver

#44 Post by Some newbie driver » 17 Jan 2021 15:45

"Just" the error handling should not be a big toll, but we have to consider 2 things:

First: main thread of the game already takes 100% of the CPU it can almost always. So any extra load is going to be in detriment of anything else.
Second: The error log is not just very precise in the kind of error but even in the probable reasons. That makes me thing the code behind the handling system is complex thus demanding higher CPU than the average.
Third: Lots of those errors sources trigger failsafe protections "on the fly" that the game applies to avoid major crashes. So it's not just to log an error.

Regards
Reinhard

#45 Post by Reinhard » 17 Jan 2021 16:49

If you ask me, the game should stop after several thousand errors/warnings and say "Clean up your dirty rotten mod folder, and do it NOW!".

Improve the error handling because of FPS loss? Really?
plykkegaard

#46 Post by plykkegaard » 17 Jan 2021 17:03

Error handling is the usual suspect in case code optimizing is needed, this is universal and the first place i'd look in a code review

Some newbie driver

#47 Post by Some newbie driver » 17 Jan 2021 19:04

Reinhard wrote: 17 Jan 2021 16:49If you ask me, the game should stop after several thousand errors/warnings and say "Clean up your dirty rotten mod folder, and do it NOW!"
When I first took a look of how SCS handle that and create the logs one of the first things I though was "how gentle and kindly to the final user". But people don't value that kind of things because they have no idea of the amount of effort and time put on it. I'm tired os seeing "Error. There has been an error" messages when trying to deal with a software problem.

So I understand your point in developers cutting that kindness and kick with a boot the ass of players who abuse their game. But on the other end, that helped A LOT the mod ecosystem of this game. I think SCS will keep the system as it is while they had other places where to squeeze optimizations.

Regards
Reinhard

#48 Post by Reinhard » 18 Jan 2021 07:28

People, that was a joke.

Only thing that bothers me is if somebody regards an alleged "FPS loss caused by messages" to be a problem. Instead of fixing the mess.
Some newbie driver

#49 Post by Some newbie driver » 18 Jan 2021 13:30

Even if you was joking, I'm sure a lot of SCS staff would approve your idea if they could. :lol:
Kolengossfer

#50 Post by Kolengossfer » 19 Jan 2021 18:02

I join this problem. I get microfreezes / stutters when buying a personal trailer (not a mod), but the most interesting thing is that when selling a trailer, all stuttering disappears. My profile was created in September 2020 and only promods are installed on it.

(I apologize for the mistakes, I do not speak English, and the text above was written in google translate)

Return to “Technical Problems”