keys

mgysgtdev

keys

#1 Post by mgysgtdev » 26 Mar 2020 21:07

Hi,

I am trying to set up my steering wheel to work with winamp since i prefer that as my radio since i can pause and mute songs amd such. Tho the problem is that when im im game the buttons only work when i shift+tab to the steam overlay and not when i am driving or such. Is there a way to get this fixed?

kevinn1995

Re: keys

#2 Post by kevinn1995 » 27 Mar 2020 19:18

How did you manage to get the buttons on the steering wheel work with Winamp in the first place? I tried it, Winamp won't reconzie the buttons, so i cannot even map them properly on a Logitec G27.
Only way I'm able to do it, is by using an aplication like JoyToKey to map the steering wheel buttons to a keyboard stroke, then adding said stroke to the Winamp shortcuts.
You might be able to map the buttons via the Logitec Profiler also, like with JoyToKey.

BUT in your case, since you state the steerinwheelbuttons do actually work with winamp, I think you need to make sure you mapped the buttons in the right section in the Winamp settings, as Winamp has a special section for hotkeys. Those hotkeys will always work no mather what aplication you got running in the front (in your case, ETS2).
My Winamp is Dutch, but the layout should be the same.

1) make sure you're in the right location to map the buttons
2) Tick the box that says, Enable
3) select an action you want to sign your button to
4) add a button of your choise (in your case, the steeringwheel button)
5) hit, Add
**6) When done, it should look something like this. 4 commands (depending what you need offcourse) with your assigned buttons. I have multimedia keys on my keyboard so in my case I used those.**

CLICK THE IMAGES FOR BETTER RESOLUTION

That should do the trick I think
Good Luck

mgysgtdev

#3 Post by mgysgtdev » 27 Mar 2020 23:50

Hi @kevinn1995
I got a DAF XF105 steering wheel with buttons that i connected to an arduino micro ;) tried joytokey aswell but that didn't seem to work.
I'm dutch btw so i understand your winamp.
I tried using the method you're using but that doesn't seem to work. Is it maybe cause i am using multiple keys? Ctrl+alt type of hotkeys? The only way that works is using multi media keys as hotkeys but those also alter the volume of windows and winamp volume at the same time (pretty anoying).

kevinn1995

#4 Post by kevinn1995 » 28 Mar 2020 12:19

I tried it out using my own set of hotkeys, and indeed, only the media keys work in game.
Only explanation I have is Winamp shortcuts are being 'blocked' by the game itself. ETS2 'overrides' those shortcuts, thats how the game was designed.
Some other full screen aplications have the excact same issue, and some work just fine with them.
You could try downloading a hotkey plugin for winamp, and see if that fixes it. But I can't guarantee as I don't use them.

Maybe one of the yellows is reading this topic, they could probably give you a better explanation.

mgysgtdev

#5 Post by mgysgtdev » 28 Mar 2020 21:22

Maybe finding a way that the volume keys wont alter the windows volume, if thats posible i'll be able to use the multimedia keys for winamp

kevinn1995

#6 Post by kevinn1995 » 28 Mar 2020 22:05

I checked, never found a setting that does that.. i know it's quite anoying..
maybe you can set some setting in windows so that volumewheel will be ignored for raising an lowering volume purely for windows, making it only work with winamp or other applications you set them media keys for.
Tho I have no clue where to look for it.
You can also ask the winamp comunity on their forums, you might be able to find better suitable anwsers there.

Edit: what might work (and it probably only will work if you have push buttons for volume up/down on your keyboard) is deleting those commands in the global shortcut section.
I have a scrollwheel, so i have no physical buttons, so no commands for them in the list, so no way to test this.

Tho i would like to know if setting shortkeys is really a limitation from the game itself. So if anyone has more info about this topic..

Return to “Technical Problems”