Laptop very loud and hot whilst playing ETS2?

dzejson_2002

#1 Post by dzejson_2002 » 29 Dec 2020 21:31

Please excuse me for posting this - I see these posts all too often. But I'm very confused. I am running ETS2, a game which I was told isn't hugely demanding, on a 2020 Huawei Matebook D Intel Core i5 (I'll post specs below). I am playing at 25% Scaling and Lowest Graphics settings, getting a low FPS too, yet my laptop is wheezing like a Boeing 747. Even now, I just went to check my graphic settings, and the fans have already started because I loaded up the game. Any ideas why it struggles so much? I used to play Flightgear Flight Simulator on my old 2015 MacBook Air, a more demanding game, on higher settings and with a higher FPS and the MacBook coped with that better. I purchased the laptop under 2 weeks ago so the fan and everything is clean, and ETS2 is the only game I play on this laptop. The rest of the time I just use it for surfing the web and schoolwork. Please, any help is appreciated! Thank you so much for reading ;)

By the way, My Laptop doesn't leave my desk, so when I'm playing ETS2 it is on a flat surface, and I don't run any other applications in the background. Thanks everyone.

My Laptop stats here:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10210U CPU
8GB RAM
Windows 10
103GB Free Space
Intel(R) UHD Graphics
Roadkill

Re: Laptop very loud and hot whilst playing ETS2?

#2 Post by Roadkill » 30 Dec 2020 05:05

ETS2 and ATS are both very CPU demanding. Your internal Intel GPU is also lacking in performance so both the CPU and GPU are always struggling to keep up which creates too much heat. You really should have built or bought a desktop so you could have upgraded as you could afford. You should purchase a cooling pad if you are going to continue using it for ETS2. If the drive free space is only 103GB you need to upgrade it also.https://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Cooling-P ... 2243862011
---- Rockies Back. This time HE'S at the wheel. Look out stoopid hoomans.
dzejson_2002

#3 Post by dzejson_2002 » 30 Dec 2020 12:47

Thanks for the reply Roadkill, I'll be sure to buy a cooling pad. If I was to keep playing and using a cooling pad, would my laptop be okay? I don't want to kill it, haha
And for the storage, would an external drive help me? Cheers!
Roadkill

#4 Post by Roadkill » 31 Dec 2020 12:54

"If I was to keep playing and using a cooling pad, would my laptop be okay? "

That all depends on the components of the laptop. I know nothing about a Huawei Matebook, never heard of the brand. Heat is a real enemy of computers and will degrade the longevity. If I were you I would see if I could return it and get something that you could upgrade. A system that will run ETS2 well on high settings will cost you close to 1500.00. That doesn't include all the peripherals such as steering wheel/pedals etc. I have over US $3000.00 invested and will be upgrading my GPU to an Nvidia 3080 as soon as they are in stock. (Damn scalpers.) There is high demand for computers and components due to Covid and working at home so now is not a good time to be buying so for now maybe the cooling pad will have to be good enough. Happy New Year.
---- Rockies Back. This time HE'S at the wheel. Look out stoopid hoomans.
RoxyQuarry

#5 Post by RoxyQuarry » 31 Dec 2020 13:15

You have mentioned that you will be using your laptop for ETS 2 and studies. The thing is that if you are going to buy a laptop for studying its most likely going to be excellent at battery life, media and of course office apps. If you decide to buy a laptop with high specs you would have to sacrifice battery life and it would come with a lot of fan noise. Finding a middle laptop can be hard, but if you can return your current laptop and buy a new one I would recommend you think about buying a Samsung Galaxy Book Flex with a MX250. Downscale from 1080p by a bit and then you'll be able to play at high settings and it has great battery life and should be great for your school work and occasional gaming. The good thing is that is starts from $1,100.

Cheers,

Return to “Technical Problems”