performance concerns

Fetal_Icecream

Re: performance concerns

#21 Post by Fetal_Icecream » 13 Apr 2021 07:06

yeah Iberia needs some polish in some areas.
I play it max everything graphics in every DLC, no stutters no fps drops, but in the larger cities (of Iberia dlc only) and the spaghetti roadway areas make it tank hard.
In iberia currently I now run the graphics on low and medium graphics on almost all options just to keep the frames steady.

I also have ATS, and the spaghetti roadways and large cities there while they do cause a FPS drop, its not large amount compared to Iberia
JURGEN254

#22 Post by JURGEN254 » 13 Apr 2021 08:07

Iberia needs optimization no debate, it’s like they don’t focus on this anymore. Road to the Black Sea (Turkey) is also a problem. This clearly needs urgent addressing or rather ETS change the minimum specs for the game if they can’t optimize the new assets being introduced
Some newbie driver

#23 Post by Some newbie driver » 13 Apr 2021 11:59

People should stop using word optimization if they don't know its meaning.

Iberia has clearly and without any doubts way more complex and detailed scenery than previous DLC, plain and simple. There's no "optimization" that could avoid that fact and there's nothing SCS could had been done respect it neither the fact that you had worse performance now means SCS isn't optimizing anything. If the last 2 DLC wouldn't had been optimized, most people roaming those forums should had been completely unable to update the game (even less purchase new DLC). You are always going to have worse performance in newer DLC unless you expect that SCS freezes the game and doesn't improve anything in the future respect previous DLC. I bet nobody here wants that.

Said that, this specific topic is about an specific problem that goes way beyond a simple worse performance in a certain DLC. His hardware and the effects he's seeing doesn't match a simple expected drop in performance due more demanding graphics.

Regards
jeefAD

#24 Post by jeefAD » 13 Apr 2021 15:12

Indeed, there will always be forward progress and a cost associated with technology change.

All I can offer is observation based solely on my experience over the past 1.5-2 years, which suggests there has been a shift that's resulted in a sizeable decrease in performance for ATS/ETS2. One that is impacting my enjoyment of the games...

I actually stumbled across an old config file last night I apparently had backed up from v1.36.2.24, which was after the transition to DX11. Based on the detail in the file, I was pushing a higher 6000x2160 in-game resolution with a slower 2.0 GHz CPU + Radeon 470 4GB GPU. I'm not saying it was perfect with max smoothness/ultra quality settings, but performance wasn't a frustration nor did I have to completely gut the IQ settings to get by. After all, something led me to clock >300 hours on ETS and >450 hours on ATS, build my own 32-input button box to further improve "immersion" and build a standalone sim rig to reclaim my desk. ;) I was having fun!

Fast forward to 1.40 with a faster 3.7 GHz CPU + faster RTX 2070 8GB GPU pushing substantially fewer pixels at 5760x1080 and it can't seem to keep the pace. And that's with SSAO off and making other concessions with IQ settings.

As for the hardware changes, the CPU was not only a generational jump (v0 to v2), but also a sizeable boost in base clock speed of +1.7 GHz and a better turbo/boost profile. PassMark score comparison reports a gain in single threaded performance from 1243 to 1979, which is nearly a +60% gain. The GPU was an even more substantial boost with UserBenchmark giving it a +159% gain in 'Effective 3D Speed', +154% gain in 'Average Score' (incl. lighting, dynamic range, shading and particles, etc) and a +97% gain in overall 'Game FPS'.

All that said, I suppose my options are to:

1) stay the course and live with IQ concessions/performance issues, which just seems to incur frustration for me
2) keep tinkering in the hopes of finding hidden performance, which doesn't seem to be panning out
3) incur the expense of new hardware and hope a current gen CPU/platform makes up for the added complexity/overhead of current game versions/DLC

I am entirely onboard with a hardware upgrade, but will that do it? It'd be great for SCS to chime in with some guidance, especially since 'System Requirements' on Steam still list a rather minimal spec:

MINIMUM:
Processor: Dual core CPU 2.4 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTS 450-class (Intel HD 4000)
Hard Drive: 5 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Quad core CPU 3.0 GHz
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 760-class (2 GB)
Hard Drive: 5 GB available space

I'd love the know the PC specs for the triple monitor motion rigs SCS brings to events! :D

Everything aside, I love these games (sims), the trucks and exploring the maps. It's almost therapeutic at times, which I miss. I've been nothing but impressed with SCS over the years and their continued commitment to these titles, content and events. It's been amazing and I really, really want to get back to enjoying things again!

Also, a thank you to all that commented in this thread and provided tips/suggestions. Appreciated.
i5-11600K | 32GB DDR4-3200 | RTX 3080 Ti 12GB | 3 x 32" FHD | No mods
plykkegaard

#25 Post by plykkegaard » 13 Apr 2021 15:26

I've read about such problems a few times in the past
Not sure how it was solve if ever

Things to think about and check, and a few actions you could try

With the change of hardware I assume windows is installed from scratch?
All MB / chipset drivers installed?
You did not have Radeon / AMD drivers prior to your RTX?

You could remove all SCS game files and do a recheck of hardware configuration
Use Steam cloud saves and take screen shots of your current in game configuration

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
jeefAD

#26 Post by jeefAD » 13 Apr 2021 16:06

Cheers! Yeah, box was recently rebuilt from scratch -- Windows 10 Pro x64, 20H2. Patched. Latest NVIDIA drivers.

Steams apps/games are on a separate SSD from OS and I've validated the game files for both ATS/ETS2. Could trying remove them, I suppose... but everything does seem to be laid down as it should be.

In my troubleshooting, I did temporarily rename the ETS2 folder in 'My Documents' to ensure clean user files are (re)created and I created 3 fresh profiles to test various things with. Nothing substantial in terms of improvement.

So yeah, if the hardware simply isn't up to the task, that's cool. I can move on -- relegate the Xeon box to purely work duty/VMs. Would just be nice to get some guidance on what new hardware will perform well for ATS/ETS2. Perhaps I'll start another thread in "General" to try and get a sense of what folks are running for triple monitor/multimon setups and how my RTX 2070 will perform with say an 11th-gen i5 or i7. The i5-11400f is at a really nice price point and puts up good numbers for its place.
Some newbie driver

#27 Post by Some newbie driver » 13 Apr 2021 20:14

jeefAD, the problem with the comparison you did with the old computer is that you changed 2 variables: the computer and the version.

The game has evolved yes, but such evolution has NOT caused such a drop in performance, even less drop when considering your improvement in hardware. No way. There's something else in here.

So, the way to properly test it would be to play on the old version of the game (using that v1.36.2.24 config file you found) and see what happens. Either the game will run as smoothly as with the old computer (of even more) and you will see your problem is certainly the game evolution or the game will run poorly and you will now you have something buggering your computer. I would bet the second will be the one but I've no idea what can cause you such bad performance.

Regards
plykkegaard

#28 Post by plykkegaard » 13 Apr 2021 20:24

Also check load on CPU and GPU
A bit odd as I assume you have valid performance tests run locally?
And you PCI bus is capable of delivering the data feed needed for the RTX card?

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
jeefAD

#29 Post by jeefAD » 13 Apr 2021 21:40

@Some newbie driver: Yes, agreed. Multiple variables have indeed changed over the last 1.5 years, so it's been iterative. Unfortunately, I can't say precisely when I noted performance starting to suffer, but my gut says it's more recent. Funny you mention it tho, because I was going to look at the beta channel tonight and see if I can downgrade to 1.39 or earlier and at least rule in/out the impact 1.40 is having...

@plykkegaard: I believe so, yes. Detail from CPU-Z:

Northbridge Intel Ivy Bridge-E rev. 04
Southbridge Intel X79 rev. 06
Bus Specification PCI-Express 3.0 (8.0 GT/s)
Graphic Interface PCI-Express 3.0
PCI-E Link Width x16 (max 16x)
PCI-E Link Speed 2.5 GT/s (max 8.0 GT/s)

AFAIK, the RTX 2070 shouldn't saturate even PCI-E 2.0...

Also ran Intel's Processor Diagnostic Tool and everything passes in the green...
Fetal_Icecream

#30 Post by Fetal_Icecream » 15 Apr 2021 09:41

using the -mm_max_resource_size 40 and -mm_max_tmp_buffers_size 500 launch options helps a tonne.
also dropping the shadow size and quality also frees up a huge chuck of frames.

Return to “Technical Problems”