performance concerns

plykkegaard

Re: performance concerns

#41 Post by plykkegaard » 17 May 2021 04:20

Sorry, my i5 4670 runs fine

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Yincognito

#42 Post by Yincognito » 17 May 2021 14:02

philbean wrote: 16 May 2021 23:20Its got to be the new lighting hasn't it ?
It's a combination between the new lighting system in 1.40 (completely unnecessary in my view, the lighting before worked fine) and the detail in more dense areas of Iberia (and elsewhere, for that matter, for example Istanbul). Obviously, it's much more noticeable on "lesser" computers, which is why some folks are affected by this and some are not.

It is indeed not a question of optimization, but of more resources being needed in denser areas of the map. Every new feature, like a DLC or the new lighting system is going to add more pressure on the system and affect the game's fluidity. Micro stutters also appear when you resume playing after you saved your game or checked the map, for example. The problem is not that these things happen (it's quite normal, actually), it's the fact that you can't do anything about it (I recently tested all kinds of settings for the execution parameters mentioned above and none of them worked for me), it create disparities between different areas of the map, and that the official system requirements don't offer any indication that you'd need a vastly superior system to run the new version + DLC. Anyone can understand game evolution and more resources being needed over time, as long as the user has a reasonable way to "opt out" and avoid significant drawbacks.
vulchor

#43 Post by vulchor » 23 May 2021 22:04

philbean wrote: 16 May 2021 23:20 Its got to be the new lighting hasn't it ?

First I thought it was Iberia being 'badly optimised' then I thought it might be the owned trailer thing.. but tonight I'm driving thru France with a freight job and its still micro stuttering as it approaches each big intersection or gas station or town.
It didn't in 1.39 and I haven't changed anything other than adding Iberia.

It must be the lighting.
Yeah, it almost certainly is the lighting since that was the big change with 1.40. I still haven't explored the new DLC, but for sure adding -mm_pool_size 4000 -mm_max_resource_size 40 -mm_max_tmp_buffers_size 1000 to my launch options reduced the stuttering enough that the game is now playable for me, albeit with scaling reduced to 300%. I find it troubling though that even with my top tier system I've built that can handle newer games maxed out in 4k, I had to lower the scaling on a game this old. There is no way that this game looks as good or should be more demanding than other modern games that run butter smooth for me.
Some newbie driver

#44 Post by Some newbie driver » 24 May 2021 13:03

The game isn't more demanding than newer ones. The game just isn't able to leverage all the capabilities of your hardware, clear and simple. That's why it doesn't matter how many zeros a bill on a computer has, it's not going to play better in SCS games than way cheaper computers. When you play ETS2/ATS, your computer is essentially taking a nap.
Yincognito

#45 Post by Yincognito » 27 May 2021 14:07

vulchor wrote: 23 May 2021 22:04I still haven't explored the new DLC [...] There is no way that this game looks as good or should be more demanding than other modern games that run butter smooth for me.
If you thought playing on the rest of the map is demanding, wait till you explore Iberia. Let's put it this way: Iberia takes demanding to a whole new level, LOL - just wait and see. Hopefully the execution parameters would alleviate things for you and the game will be able to leverage your hardware capabilities as experts say, because if they don't you're out of luck. :D
plykkegaard

#46 Post by plykkegaard » 27 May 2021 14:23

The game runs fine on my 8 year old system

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
worker1305

#47 Post by worker1305 » 31 May 2021 19:40

Hello everyone, I have exactly the same problems here again as colleagues. I play everything on ultra and 400 saklierung.
As soon as I get to Iberia the game starts to stutter.

Even if I set everything to a minimum, the game still stutters on Iberia, but only on Iberia DLC!

Processor: Intel I7 10500H

Graphics card: NVIDIA RTX 2070

RAM: 16GB

It really can't be normal that this Iberia DLC needs so much performance. A high-end PC would have to be purchased for at least over € 2000. That can't be serious at SCS!
Yincognito

#48 Post by Yincognito » 01 Jun 2021 12:28

worker1305 wrote: 31 May 2021 19:40As soon as I get to Iberia the game starts to stutter. Even if I set everything to a minimum, the game still stutters on Iberia, but only on Iberia DLC!
You can't "fix" the way Iberia feels by setting things to minimum from within the game - although it "should" have been possible, like in any other game, I know. The only thing that you can do to alleviate the effects (not to eliminate them, just make them more bearable) is to try using the execution parameters mentioned by others above (the mm_pool_size, mm_max_resource_size and mm_max_tmp_buffers_size ones), and play with their values until you find the configuration that hopefully works for you. Once you found them, you can include them in the game's Shortcut Properties / Shortcut tab / Target editbox, in order to avoid setting them every time you run the game. In my case, it didn't work, probably because my 1GB video card or 4 GB RAM don't allow for enough "room" to manipulate those settings, but judging from the feedback of other users having better computers, it might work for you.
worker1305 wrote: 31 May 2021 19:40It really can't be normal that this Iberia DLC needs so much performance. A high-end PC would have to be purchased for at least over € 2000. That can't be serious at SCS!
Yep, that was the thing I was trying to convey as well, apparently to no avail. They tried to do something good, like expanding the map and making the graphics more realistic, but ended up having serious drawbacks in the latest DLC as a result.
plykkegaard

#49 Post by plykkegaard » 01 Jun 2021 12:45

worker1305 wrote: 31 May 2021 19:40 It really can't be normal that this Iberia DLC needs so much performance.
Nahh I have an i5 4670, GTX 1080i and 16Gb mem, works fine

Do you have mods? please check your game log for frequent errors

jeefAD

#50 Post by jeefAD » 19 Nov 2021 16:51

Hadn't checked back in a while!

Seems other folks have found some hiccups too...

I've been better off post-upgrade to the i5-11600KF and still rockin' the RTX 2070, but do still have to make some IQ concessions to maintain 60 FPS (vsync on).

I've been driving around BG/RO lately, so I quick travelled over to Iberia last night... things are still quite unpleasant with FPS dipping down to 38!

With some the reskin work that's been going on, I also quick travelled to garages in France and Germany as a quick comparator -- no issues observed in Germany and only a brief hiccup in France down to 55 FPS before coming back up, but nowhere close to what happens in Iberia where dips are both larger and more sustained.

It was getting late, but I'll try to quantify more with some additional drives while monitoring.

@plykkegaard Glad it "works fine" on your system. :D Leaves me wondering if folks such as yourself have things configured in a way that manage to ride below whatever mysterious threshold seems to exists that some of us of keep hitting like a brick wall in Iberia...
i5-11600K | 32GB DDR4-3200 | RTX 3080 Ti 12GB | 3 x 32" FHD | No mods

Return to “Technical Problems”