ETS 2 forces me to creat a new profile

Major Kottan

ETS 2 forces me to creat a new profile

#1 Post by Major Kottan » 18 Apr 2021 21:56

Hi,

Every time I start the game forces me to create a new profile instead of using my existing one.
I want to continue with my old settings and do not want to create a new profile.
What's is going wrong here ?
Why is there no chance to load a save game or simply continue where it has been stopped.
The profiles are there in the specific folder:

At least my game.log.txt shows:
C:/Users/hanne/OneDrive/Dokumente/Euro Truck Simulator 2 mounted.

Thank you for your help.

hannes
Madkine
Global moderator

Re: ETS 2 forces me to creat a new profile

#2 Post by Madkine » 18 Apr 2021 22:10

One Drive is possibly the problem. ETS2/ATS have issues with one drive.

Try moving everything back to being a local install.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Major Kottan

#3 Post by Major Kottan » 19 Apr 2021 06:01

I copied all files to C:\users\hanne\documente\euro truck simulator 2\
But every time I start Euro Truck simulator it looks for the profile in the ONE Drive folder, in can see this i the game.log txt.
How can I tell the software, that It should run from local drive ?

Hannes
OldVern

#4 Post by OldVern » 23 Apr 2021 15:35

I had this - every time I opened the game it would prompt to create a new profile. Turned out I had switched on save to Steam Cloud and nothing was being saved to the Profile folder in ETS2 directory in my local Documents. Obviously on starting the game, not looking at Steam Cloud to retrieve the profile. After creating yet another profile and running the (yawn) 3km introductory haul, I went into Options, unticked Steam Profile and saved the game. This time there was an entry in the local folder and my profile loaded correctly.
Major Kottan

#5 Post by Major Kottan » 23 Apr 2021 16:33

Do you mean you have to first create another profile, before you can start the game.
And then use for previous profile after unticking the steam cloud ?
Strang behaviour ...
What about fixing this issue ?
Let the user load the profile file from any place they want ?
OldVern

#6 Post by OldVern » 23 Apr 2021 16:41

Yes that is correct. It wouldn't let me start the game until I created a new profile, though it seemed to remember my trucker name as it was already filled in on the profile form!
xXCARL1992Xx

#7 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 23 Apr 2021 16:43

your windows is set up to use One Drive as your place for he My Documents folder, you have to change it, how this works you can google it, i never had this problem with it

to force the game to load from anywhere else that isnt My Documents you need to add new start parameter

if you start the game from the Steam Clint, right klick on Euro Truck Simulator 2 > Properties and there is a text field Starting Options, there you add -homedir "<path-to-save-folder>", in my case i have them stored on a second drive D:\ for me this would look like this -homedir "D:\SCS\\", inside the SCS folder is the folder Euro Truck Simulator with all my profiles

if you start your game from a dektop shortcut, right klick on the shortcut > Properties and there in the text filed Target: you add the parameter
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Major Kottan

#8 Post by Major Kottan » 23 Apr 2021 19:48

Thanks a lot for the starting Option.
with -homedir . it starts from the local file, not from the one drive.
First success - however it still forces me to create a new profile ....
Wakou22

#9 Post by Wakou22 » 04 Jul 2021 16:51

Firstly, thank you to @xXCARL1992Xx for the excellent and concise solution to this problem! I have just used the advice, and after a couple of small problems (my fault!) I have now got my profile back, and safely on my local hard-drive!
I was going to write a fuller "tut" but I have already forgotten the precise steps!
But!
  • Make a new folder on your PC (It does not have to be on your super-fast SSD "C\:" drive, anywhere will do!
  • Copy the folder "Eurotruck Simulator 2" from OneDrive to this new folder.
    You should now have something like "D:\ETS\Euro Truck Simulator 2"
  • Go to Steam Library, and select ETS. You will see some symbols, hover over the "cog" (manage) and click on "properties" There will be a box to put in where you want your game to be saved. In my example, -homedir "D:\ETS\\"
    Do NOT point it at the folder you have copied in... Just at the folder you made... INCLUDE the " " AND the double slash \\ at the end!
And then! You should be where you wanted to be!
I hope that the OP, @Major Kottan has got it sorted, but this is for future Googlers, who arrive here!
Thanks again, @xXCARL1992Xx !!!!!

Return to “Technical Problems”