Fps drops in convoy while hosting

MR Rottie

Fps drops in convoy while hosting

#1 Post by MR Rottie » 23 Jul 2021 12:14

Hi I have noticed fps drops while hosting convoy sessions. This can happen when moving near or past other players and then stops once away. It also isn't every time and can be really sporadic. I have tried joining on other sessions and dont get this happening. Other players in my session also do not experience it but do while hosting. Am I correct in thinking, because this is p2p multiplayer that dsync due to strict/moderate nat type is the problem? It also seams to coincide with us getting different weather at different times, which is definitely dsync. If this is the problem does anyone know what ports ETS2 would use to forward. I have also looked at my usage for cpu and gpu when the drops happen, neither are high at all with 30% gpu and 15-20% cpu.
Madkine
Global moderator

Re: Fos drops in convoy while hosting

#2 Post by Madkine » 23 Jul 2021 12:21

Chances are it's due to the fact that you are hosting which means your computer has to track more information than it normally does.
These games are mostly single core bound, so 15-20% CPU is normal, but you'll probably find that one core is maxed out while the others are mostly idle.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
MR Rottie

Re: Fps drops in convoy while hosting

#3 Post by MR Rottie » 24 Jul 2021 00:15

Thanks for the reply. What do you think the solution is then? Also why does it not seam to effect everyone? I have i9-990k so I mean it should be fine.
gtrabach

#4 Post by gtrabach » 24 Jul 2021 21:59

Hi.

I'm having the same problems. In singleplayer the game runs just fine, while in convoy the game has experiencing drops to below 40FPS (normally it maintains a constant 60FPS with Vsync on).

But strangely, in my game, the performance worsen the further away the other player is.

E.g.: If I'm in Munich and my friend is in Munich, I'll get a 55FPS - 60FPS just fine. But if I'm in Munich and my friend is in Frankfurt (or any other city), the performance goes to 23FPS-45FPS and stays this way until the player comes closer or I close the convoy session.
Madkine
Global moderator

#5 Post by Madkine » 25 Jul 2021 00:19

Not strange at all. If you are near each other, the server only has to track the objects in one location. If you are apart it has to track twice as many objects as it is now tracking objects in two locations.

These are some of the reasons why convoy can only host a max of 8 people.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
MR Rottie

#6 Post by MR Rottie » 26 Jul 2021 07:54

Dedicated servers would have been preferable for this game I think. Update on mine. I tried opening ports and sorted ETS2 in my firewall settings. I had a full server lastnight of 8 barely any problems until the end. It seemed to go bad when only me and another were left while 8 of us were on pretty much perfect. We really need network stats in game to see what is happening e.g if were running on an open nat or not. Do you think if I set the game to one core that would help at all with anything? I have read somewhere that it does just run better like this.

Return to “Technical Problems”