FPS drop in heavy locations, freezes and the influence of a weak IPC processor.

Brian Benton

FPS drop in heavy locations, freezes and the influence of a weak IPC processor.

#1 Post by Brian Benton » 14 Sep 2021 23:57

Hello my dear reader. It is always interesting to read endless threads on this forum with poor performance in ETS 2. I had a desire to make a video with a performance test in the game and ask a few questions.

I present to your attention this video. See timecodes below or in the video description. For recording, the Shadow Play program was used. Enabled Adaptive V-Sync to detect stable 60 FPS and eliminate FPS drops associated with frame rates below 60 FPS. Moments of questionable performance are slowed down. Time, where FPS = 60, is accelerated to save time. Configuration (main):
Processor: AMD FX-6300 OC [4400 MHz, 2600 MHz CPU NB]; complex overclocking gave a small performance boost in ETS 2 and a huge boost in normal multi-threaded games. For example, in Forza Horizon 4 I always get a stable 60 FPS without freezes and drawdowns. You can watch a test of this game on my channel;
Video card: GTX 1060 3 Gb OC [1950 MHz Core, 9410 MHz GDDR5];
RAM: 8 + 8 Gb [2133 MHz];
Hard disk: Toshiba [7200 rpm, 32 Mb];
Operating system: Windows 10 Home 21H1 with the latest updates.

Game: clean, like a baby's tear, no mods, no plugins, no Steam launch parameters, 1.41.1.10s, dx11, 64-bit;
Graphics settings: custom (watch video), g_traffic 1.

Timecodes:
0:00 Game settings;
0:17 Attention! Pause and read;
0:36 The beginning of the fall in FPS;
1:04 The GPU is idle with a huge power reserve, and the FPS is below 60;
1:33 No changes. Town;
2:05 The first honest drawdowns of FPS begin to appear at 99% load of the video card;
2:30 The video card is idle again;
3:03 We leave the city, FPS stabilizes;
3:33 GPU is idle again, and FPS is below 60;
4:05 Video memory is 100% loaded;
4:46 GPU is idle again, and FPS is below 60;
5:12 Left the city, FPS is stable 60;
5:58 Near the gas station, the video card is idle again, the FPS is below 60;
7:00 )))
8:01 Near the gas station, the video card is idle again, the FPS is below 60;
8:33 At the same gas station, the FPS stabilized in the daytime;
10:20 The strongest frieze;
11:29 Several friezes in a row;
13:58 In a small town, FPS is stable during the day.

Questions:

1. Pay attention to the ratio of the video card load to the frame rate. In heavy locations (for example, Madrid), the video card is loaded only by ~ 60%, while the FPS is NOT equal to 60 units, but fluctuates around 40 units. I guess this is due to the weak IPC of my FX, as the game ignores all the power of the processor in multi-threaded performance. I've heard about this. Is it so? Will this be fixed in the future? Are there any options for solving the problem at the moment? Or is this issue related to poor optimization of the Iberia DLC? I understand that Madrid is very well developed in the add-on, but I want to note that I do not observe such a strong FPS drawdown with a video card idle (there is a huge power reserve, but the FPS is still below 60) on the rest of the map (Rome, Paris, St. Petersburg and other major cities).

2. The second problem is friezes. To be sure. These are short-term random "delays" of the picture. This is clearly visible on the frametime graph ("bars" against the background of a flat line). What is the reason for this? Is this bad map optimization or problems with the game engine? Or is it a weak configuration? But which component needs to be replaced so that this problem does not arise? What solutions to the problem exist at the moment? I see this problem ONLY on the territory of the Iberia DLC and the Black Sea DLC. This occurs, as a rule, at the entrance to large prefabs, open areas, gas stations, cities.
I am attaching a LOG file that was created during video recording. Perhaps it will be useful.
game.log.txt
(57.31 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Thank you in advance for your response.
jeefAD

Re: FPS drop in heavy locations, freezes and the influence of a weak IPC processor.

#2 Post by jeefAD » 15 Nov 2021 03:32

All excellent questions!

It would be amazing for someone from SCS to chime in and provide some guidance on hardware selection/configuration. I see a lot of folks spending a lot of time on IQ settings, GPU profiles/settings, config file tweaks, game load parameters, etc.
i5-11600K | 32GB DDR4-3200 | RTX 3080 Ti 12GB | 3 x 32" FHD | No mods

Return to “Technical Problems”