Would an SSD help with traffic spawn lag?

AlconburyBlues

Would an SSD help with traffic spawn lag?

#1 Post by AlconburyBlues » 22 Nov 2021 10:11

Hi all,

I'm planning on buying a few SSD's to improve drive speed. I have ETS2/ATS installed on a separate drive (I always keep my OS aka C: drive free of game installs). I was already planning on replacing the C: drive with an SSD for amazing boot speed and overall OS stability.

So my question to all is, has anyone else noticed a significant reduction in "spawn lag" with the game and profile folder installed on an SSD as well?

When the game is spawning heavy amounts of objects or traffic it's obviously reading from the game and mod files. Because of the games old spawn method of reading files "on the fly" instead of putting traffic in memory, I still get spawn lag when increasing traffic to realistic levels, or using traffic mods. So I'm 99% sure that putting the game on an SSD will really help. But I wanted to know if anyone has done that already and noticed a serious difference.

Please tell me what you think. Thanks!

BTW I already have 64 GB of RAM and TONS of free space on 3 regular 6 TB hard drives (18 TB + 2 TB for the boot drive). So I know that's not an issue.
Some newbie driver

Re: Would an SSD help with traffic spawn lag?

#2 Post by Some newbie driver » 22 Nov 2021 12:21

You can try Sysinternals (Microsoft) Process Monitor to view the history of disk activity and compare it when what were you doing then to see if the game executable is doing relevant amount of I/O operations to disk while you play (there will always be some, due logfiles, but shouldn't be relevant).

If there's a lot of activity and/or you see high values of delay in your current disk, then yes, an SSD will help you improve on this scenario.

The second section on the list of this link will give you the initial hints to use that monitoring software: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/find-out-wh ... isk-drive/

Regards
AlconburyBlues

#3 Post by AlconburyBlues » 07 Dec 2021 05:44

@Some newbie driver, thanks for the tips. Actually I've already tried that. I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience in doing this already. I'm about to buy several SSD anyway to replace all my older drives.
bobgrey1997

#4 Post by bobgrey1997 » 07 Dec 2021 08:53

I'm not sure how much of an improvement you could see from traffic spawns on an SSD (it will be an improvement, but probably not a noticeable one).
However, I'd imagine you would definitely notice an improvement in performance hits when entering a city.
There are not many traffic assets, and unless you use mods with very highly detailed vehicles, the current traffic models are not that large.
However, cities tend to have hundreds of assets that essentially all load in at once when you come around that last turn to see the city. Similar to the traffic, an SSD would allow these to load faster (still have to rely on the GPU to render them, so if you don't have a good GPU, an SSD won't do any good either), though I think you will see more of an improvement with cities than you will with traffic. The game shouldn't be spawning enough traffic to cause any issues as it is. This is one common complaint about these games: empty roads.
While RAM and storage is nice, the main things to look at for these games seem to be CPU, and to a lslightly esser extent, GPU.
plykkegaard

#5 Post by plykkegaard » 07 Dec 2021 09:52

Most noticeable is the load time for the game, as said don't expect significant improvements during game play
If you have a lot of hickups check the game log for errors
In case you have a large amount of errors it will effect the overall performance in the game, keep your game log clean
If none of the above is the case check for other bottlenecks in your hardware setup

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.

Return to “Technical Problems”