Game Stutter/freeze.

Andy_GTI

Re: Framerate drops, stutter - who's at fault? GPU? CPU? Gam

#21 Post by Andy_GTI » 04 Nov 2013 21:24

I had similar symptoms on my last PC, and i'm fairly certain it was the graphics card overheating, try getting more air inside the computer, and give the insides a good dusting/hoover to remove dirt and dust.

Baja_002

#22 Post by Baja_002 » 04 Nov 2013 21:41

It's the game engine, it needs to be updated to a newer version or replaced. Engine really falls behind compared with some other games but something was mentioned... I hope some sort of update or fix will be released. Something that would require less RAM and use all those multi core processors much better

Cadde

#23 Post by Cadde » 04 Nov 2013 22:27

Another option is turning off all lights, Options→Graphics→↓Headlights (OFF) and Light visibility distance (DISABLED).

I know this doesn't do you any good during night time but lights are heavy for the CPU as they are calculated on it. That is probably why your computer notices the weather changing the most. Especially during lighting strikes.

Maybe you have already tried this? Either way, turn everything off, then turn one thing to max at a time and see how it affects your performance.

Needless to say, scaling should be at no more than 100%, lower will be faster. This will always affect your render times no matter what.
Also, don't have Depth of Field (DOF) on or MLAA. While they are mostly GPU dependant they don't do any good for the game.

Also, turn off pedestrians. They are CPU heavy too.

EDIT: As for your CPU use staying at 50%, that's because the game only uses one core. So you have 2 cores, 50% means the game is using 100% of the CPU it has available to it.
On extended hiatus.

87granny

#24 Post by 87granny » 04 Nov 2013 23:30

Also turn off color correction and HDR they are no help and cause a big drop in fraps because I'm only running a GeForce GT530 and runs the game with very slight fram drop since I turned most of the stuff off

VarHyid

#25 Post by VarHyid » 04 Nov 2013 23:45

Andy_GTI wrote:I had similar symptoms on my last PC, and i'm fairly certain it was the graphics card overheating, try getting more air inside the computer, and give the insides a good dusting/hoover to remove dirt and dust.
This can't be an issue. I've got an Asus card with these Direct CU II pipe stuff all over this thing and it's quiet, doesn't seem to overheat... except one time when it was mid-summer, very warm inside and I've played Borderlands 2 - then the fans were really noticeable. In fact, this was the first time I really heard the fans on the card. When playing ETS 2, even 4-5 hours at a time, this has never happened so I doubt it's an overheating issue.
Baja_002 wrote:It's the game engine, it needs to be updated to a newer version or replaced. Engine really falls behind compared with some other games but something was mentioned... I hope some sort of update or fix will be released. Something that would require less RAM and use all those multi core processors much better
That's what I would suspect based on how it happens - in the same situations, almost as if the engine would always struggle with sudden changes (turns, braking, fast acceleration etc.).

@Cadde - Thanks for the tips. The most drastic test I did was, as mentioned, going 720p, 100% scaling and literally everything at low and here's what happened - technically, the framerate was crazy high... until i made a turn, looked around, started to brake etc. Same micro-stutter. In fact, after all tests I've done, I've decided to stay at 300% scaling (of course MLAA off, makes no sense in this case) as the difference is minimal - the stutter is always there so I may as well enjoy better image quality all the time + have stutter rater than worse quality + still the same framerate drops/stutter.

Thanks for the info reg. the CPU activity - that makes sense, I was wondering why it's pretty much exactly 50%, but yeah if this means 1 out of 2 cores active - that's it. In fact, this would actually point to the CPU being the problem. If the game can only utilize one core then it uses it all up so the fact that it's an older i3 would suggest that a more efficient (Ivy Bridge? Haswell?) CPU could make more out of it. In my case, that would also mean - new MoBo :-( So I hope they'll manage to update ETS 2 to use up all cores and threads.

Anyway, thanks for your responses, I'll continue experimenting. It's not really a deal-breaker, I still love and enjoy this game a lot, but maybe that's the "problem" - because I enjoy it so much, I'd want it to be perfect ;)

---------NEW POST came in---------

@87granny - Thanks for the tip, but that's a no-go. I've tried it and the difference in color and contrast between HDR on and off is huge. It's so bad without HDR, I couldn't believe my eyes so this must stay on for me.

Atak_Snajpera

#26 Post by Atak_Snajpera » 05 Nov 2013 12:37

maybe you should disable ht in bios . i think your i3 is 2c/4t . i've read that some game engines do not work well with hyper-threading enabled. your cpu is still enough for ets2. in fact it is even faster than my q6600@3ghz and i do not see stutering issue in combination with r4850 . (1440x810 all max , scaling 100, mlaa off , my fps 24-35) . however it is known that nvidia driver is optimized for multi core cpus. whereas amds driver prefers fast single core.

Serge SB

Game stutters for 1-3 seconds every 5 minutes while driving

#27 Post by Serge SB » 09 Nov 2013 09:03

First, my computer config:

Hardware config: Q9650 QuadCore @3GHz, NVidia GTS450 1Gb, SSD OCZ Agility 3 (the one and the only drive for OS, programs and data), 4Gb RAM.

Game settings: custom, between low and medium, all AA stuff is turned off. This gives me about 30-40 fps, so the game runs smoothly most of the time except that stuttering (read later).

Accurate location of a problem: anywhere while driving (including just sitting in the cabin or flying around when buying or upgrading the garage. Well, anywhere in game except the main menus, hope you've got the idea).

Reproducibility: stable.

Mods: no mods are used and had never been. Except the official Going East! DLC and the Haloween Skins DLC (but I've also been experiencing this issue before those DLC were installed).

Detailed description:
There already exist similair topics on this forum, but almost all of them end with 'Lower your graphics settings, raise your memory pool size, etc'. I'm now completely sure, that those are not the cause of the problem.

So, I launched the game and played for a couple of hours. Every time (at least I tried to remember to do this all the time) the game stuttered, I took a screenshot. Then I've opened the game.log.txt and it became completely clear to me, that these stutters are caused by the auto-saving. See the attached game.log.zip. Search for the 'screenshot' keyword and you'll see, that all of these records are precedeed (by a couple of seconds = 'oh, I've noticed the stutter, stutter ended, I need to take a screenshot, press the screenshot button') with 'Game has been auto-saved' records. Also note the time difference between 'Game has been auto-saved' and 'Creating save-game file' records.

This time span is actually the stutter delay. As you can see, these autosaves take about 1-3 seconds. This is very annoying.

Ok, but why hadn't I noticed them before? I really do remember, that when I started my profile about a half a year ago, there were no such noticeable stutters. Actually they happened from time to time, but they were very small. So, I launched the game again and selected one of my old profiles, that was created for a test purposes. The driver's experience level is 6, and it doesn't even has its own truck (no need to say, that there are no hired drivers). Perfect.

I took a ride and guess what? No stutters! I took a look at the newly created game.log.txt. Now autosaving took about 60ms each (see the attached 'game.log (no noticable stutters).zip'). No surprise, that I hadn't noticed them (actually I did, but only one of them and still not sure, that it really happened).

It became clear, that the stutter delay is connected with profile activity. Tester's profile was almost empty (just a few percent of opened map, no truck, no drivers, game.sii file size is about 130kb). My main profile is almost full (about 90% of map discovered, all 153 drivers hired, about 70 garages owned, game.sii size is 1.3Mb).

Then I tried to do a little old trick. I thought, that if the autosave file could not be created, then the game won't stutter. So I removed the 'autosave_drive' folder and created the file with the same name. Now no one could create this folder. But it hadn't helped. This is a piece of a log from that session:

01:02:10.784 : Creating save-game file (/home/profiles/4D2E442E/save/autosave_drive/game.sii) ...
01:02:12.423 : <ERROR> [fs] Failed to open file "/home/profiles/4D2E442E/save/autosave_drive/info.sii~" in the create_truncate mode
01:02:12.423 : <ERROR> Unable to create '/home/profiles/4D2E442E/save/autosave_drive/info.sii~'
01:02:12.434 : Game has been auto-saved.

As you can see, the game is first saved into some sort of an in-memory object, and only then it actually goes to disk. The saving process took 1.6 seconds. You know, it's not quite comfortable to drive the road curve at 110km/h and have such a stutter. /very sad notice: I've almost got used to it:(/

I tried to increase the memory pool size to 700 (actually it lowered automatically to 684, as the log record stated). But this had not helped either.

As a software developer I could think about two solutions. First is quick and a bit 'dirty': add the option to disable autosaving while on the road (only those saves, that go to 'autosave_drive' folder). Other types of autosave could be left as is, as they do not affect the gameplay performance.

Second is to rewrite the autosave procedure. Well, sure, I'm no _SCS_ developer, but I would think about creating the snapshot for everything, that needs to be saved (I assume, that it could be done very quickly), and then launch the actual saving procedure in a separate thread. So the game engine could continue working.

Thanks for reading, hope to get a comment from SCS team.
Attachments

[The extension zip has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

[The extension zip has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by ohaha on 09 Nov 2013 09:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged.

Max
SCS Software

Re: Game Stutter/freeze.

#28 Post by Max » 09 Nov 2013 10:36

thanks for detailed peport.
as saving is in different thread, the time taken has to be that "snapshot" of game state. if you have many drivers, trucks, garages and their logs, whole economy info is quite large chunk of memory. here, in your case, operating system and memory may also be part of problem.
we are working on it.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.

Serge SB

#29 Post by Serge SB » 09 Nov 2013 11:40

Thanks for reply, Max. Glad to hear, that the work is in progress. Meanwhile, is there already any way to disable autosaving while on the road? Maybe some hidden config variable or console command? Or if not, could you please add such an option?

Just one note: you've said, that the memory could be the part of the problem. Normally, ETS2 allocates 300Mb (as it is reported in the game.log.txt). I tried to raise it is max as possible (I've set the mem pool command line arg to 700, but the game lowered it to 684 - again, reported by the game.log.txt). But this showed no visible improvement. Hope this info could be helpful.

Bruno Carvalho

#30 Post by Bruno Carvalho » 11 Dec 2013 02:49

lovelyhead wrote:I am having the same freeze / stutter issue. The game will pause for about a half second every now and again. It happens about once or twice per minute. I have a reasonably powerful machine that can run the game at 60fps so I don't think it is a graphics issue.
Same here. I'm having this problem since the update 1.7.x if I remember well, before I didn't have any problem.

I created a new profile for test purposes and the stutters didn't happen. I'm thinking now if this is a problem of a heavy content that I have in my current profile, because I have already all the drivers availables hired and a lot of garages, some of them empty because there is no more employees to hire.

I wonder if the heavy movement of employees in my in-game company is causing these freezes.

Besides that, would be AWESOME if we could export our driver to import in a new profile, new company, and with this operation we import all the money, experience and the skills received so far.

Return to “Technical Problems”