Triple Screen - Bezel Correction? FOV & "Fisheye" Effect?

djfil

Triple Screen - Bezel Correction? FOV & "Fisheye" Effect?

#1 Post by djfil » 22 Nov 2013 17:35

Just got matching triple screens and loving ETS2. But there's a few annoyances.

1) I'm using a bezel corrected resolution (5890x1080 instead of the standard 5760x1080). But it appears the game is ignoring the bezel correction. Ideas?

2) Field of view I understand how to modify via the .scs files. But is there an option to change the fisheye effect?

uset r_multimon_mode at 0 does nothing, and 1 doesn't appear to change much... but 2 makes the fisheye effect almost go opposite or to the extreme, and looks really odd.

uset r_multimon_border_fov_right & uset r_multimon_border_fov_left are really wierd. 0 is off... 1 is on? cause I tried 30 (the angle of my outside monitors) and it went crazy.

Thanks.

CJoke

Re: Triple Screen - Bezel Correction? FOV & "Fisheye" Effect

#2 Post by CJoke » 23 Nov 2013 16:10

r_multimon_mode 1 use one wide fov-cam over three screens
r_multimon_mode 2 use three seperate cams left, front, right

I prefer mode 2 (without bezel = 5760x1080 or 4800*900)
and r_multimon_border_fov_right & uset r_multimon_border_fov_left you need small values
a value of 3 covers a monitor-border of ~3cm, just test it

and I prefer a fov-reduced cam-mod with fov ~68 or less to reduce the fisheye,
default ets2 cam fov is 77

djfil

#3 Post by djfil » 25 Nov 2013 06:40

Mode 2 causes really odd opposite effect. Like they want the side monitors at 70-90 degrees angle.

But thank you for clarifying the numbers for left/right border that they are to be in centimeters... that helped with that part.

Max
SCS Software

#4 Post by Max » 25 Nov 2013 11:12

djfil wrote:Mode 2 causes really odd opposite effect. Like they want the side monitors at 70-90 degrees angle.
But thank you for clarifying the numbers for left/right border that they are to be in centimeters... that helped with that part.
r_multimon_mode 2 is meant for three monitors and their content is rendered by three different cameras. each of them uses its given fov (see data).
bezel/borders are not in centimeters, these are in degrees (that may be similar when you saw monitors from like 90cm distance) - its small gap in fov for monitor frame.
so if you have camera fov, say, 50 degrees with 2 degrees of bezel, the whole view will have 50+2+50+2+50=154 degrees. and you should arrange your monitors like that for the most realistic feeling.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.

djfil

#5 Post by djfil » 25 Nov 2013 17:02

Now I'm really confused. I'm going to show pictures. These are using the default FOV (no mods active). Bezel correction looks fine to me in both settings. But look at the difference of how the camera warps/wraps.

Code: Select all

uset r_multimon_border_fov_right "3"
uset r_multimon_border_fov_left "3"
uset r_multimon_mode "1"
results in http://i.imgur.com/tTQ8J1l.jpg

uset r_multimon_mode "2"
results in http://i.imgur.com/aqA2MAU.jpg

Option "1" is playable for me... but could be much better. The "stretch or squish" on the side monitors doesn't look right.

Option "2" looks just totally crazy. Like they want your side monitors at a square 90 degree angle and right beside your head.

I wish there was an intuitive option like found in Assetto Corsa. http://i.imgur.com/MFr87zj.jpg

Max
SCS Software

#6 Post by Max » 25 Nov 2013 20:44

but that is exactly what you have been told.

option 1 is single camera with stretched view. it's original vertical fov is used to compute actual horizontal fov to fit the resolution, together it cannot be more than 180 degrees (mathematicaly impossible). view is projected to single plane.
option 2 is three cameras with rotation to fit your camera fov. so if you are using default fov (something like 70 degrees per camera) its exatly like assetto corsa - more than 210 degrees of view together. view is projected to planes in sphere.

you have to decrease interior camera fov to fit rendered picture to your current monitor setup.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.

djfil

#7 Post by djfil » 26 Nov 2013 05:45

Ok I get it now.

I settled on 43 FOV with 2 for each bezel. Ended up looking like this... http://i.imgur.com/8uZRGi8.jpg. Not perfect... slight sloping angle on the outside monitors are still noticeable.

Why is the default FOV different for each vehicle? That doesn't make sense. Oh well, I've got them all to a standardized FOV now.

Also, does anyone know of a dash app for iOS that works with ETS2? I can use the GPS for speed, gear, fuel... but I never know if I have my blinkers on or not.

Thanks again.

CJoke

#8 Post by CJoke » 26 Nov 2013 06:04

djfil wrote:

uset r_multimon_mode "1"
results in http://i.imgur.com/tTQ8J1l.jpg
fovleft and fovright work only with mode 2
with mode 1 you need configure bezel with the grafixcard-cofiguration

Komat
SCS Software

#9 Post by Komat » 26 Nov 2013 18:07

djfil wrote:Not perfect... slight sloping angle on the outside monitors are still noticeable.
By default the camera looks slightly downwards to make the truck dashboard visible. This causes some sloping on the side monitors. You need to set the mouse_up_down_default parameter in the respective cameras to 0 to remove this.
Why is the default FOV different for each vehicle? That doesn't make sense. Oh well, I've got them all to a standardized FOV now.
The goal is to show as much of the side mirrors and the dashboard visible in the default view. As each truck is slightly different, the parameters differ.

djfil

#10 Post by djfil » 27 Nov 2013 07:03

This is getting lot better already. One more thing I'd love to know. Which setting is it to lower the camera height (not angle)? And what is the value representing (cm/inches/pixels)?

Thanks!

Return to “Technical Problems”