Lead in a cylinder? and i want to go where i'm steering.

barry

Lead in a cylinder? and i want to go where i'm steering.

#1 Post by barry » 20 May 2017 11:42

Hi guys. V1.27. Not wishing to whine but, I've just pickup up a cylindrical container with 23T of LEAD in it. Umm really, as lead is not a gas or liquid, i would suggest a flat bed trailer would be more suitable. Oh and this is an SCS default. I have no 3rd party add-ons.

Not since V1.17 have i tried to come off a highway with a heavy load, only to find myself trying to steer round an inclining circular exit, whilst lifting off the throttle to gain grip. How does that work? I can obviously only get progressively slower until i'm unable to make it to the top of the exit. Do we need to rely on a mod again to overcome this problem? And yes i recall others saying wayyy back that this is natural behavior only to have SCS move the 5th wheel to eliminate it.

Can we please have a movable 5th wheel or whatever is needed to remove this problem.

Regards
xXCARL1992Xx

Re: Lead in a cylinder? and i want to go where i'm steering.

#2 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 20 May 2017 11:50

metals will be transported while they are liquefied, if they are not endprodukts you can buy, but needs to be made into one

so to not reheat it what would be a waste of energy they transport it in liquid form so a tank is normal for lead

what you mean with the second question i dont know
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Grimples

#3 Post by Grimples » 20 May 2017 12:44

This 'lead' tanker confused me also, i never knew 'lead' came in liquid form unless you heat it.
b101uk

#4 Post by b101uk » 26 May 2017 12:07

CARL1992 wrote:metals will be transported while they are liquefied, if they are not endprodukts you can buy, but needs to be made into one

so to not reheat it what would be a waste of energy they transport it in liquid form so a tank is normal for lead
:lol:

With the exception of metals that are liquid at "room temperatures", or metals still in ore form, else ore that has been powered, else volatile or dangerous metals which can easily be dissolved to render then safe, most metals are carried in their cold solid state on flat, box or curtain side trailers.

I think the confusion is Lead (Pb) comes in many forms, the sold form most are familiar with, which will be moved in sheets, rolls, bars or small ingots to large singular 25+ tonne ingot just like steels or other common metals, dependent on where they are destined for, which you wont find in tankers.

You also have many oxides, sulfides, halides, nitride and salts of Lead (Pb) which can be in granular form or dissolved liquid form e.g. lead II nitrate, which can be in power form or can be dissolved in water, you have Lead IV oxide, and many others, which are often carried in tankers.

in game Lead (Pb) is not the only metal that is implied that it must be an oxide, sulfide, halide, nitride or other salts or that are otherwise dissolved in another medium to render them safe for transport that are in tankers.
xXCARL1992Xx

#5 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 26 May 2017 12:19

http://image.stern.de/6386252/16x9-1200 ... unfall.jpg

say that again

metals are transported in liquid form too. Do you know how uneconomical it is to wait till it is solid, then to form it so you can transport it with a truck and then reheat it again to do the thing with it you want ?
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
b101uk

#6 Post by b101uk » 26 May 2017 13:38

hot liquid metals are only transported relatively short distances, as the thermal losses render it useless beyond that, likewise the receptacle containers are very heavy, the payload is low and much higher centred than that in sold form and in the grand scheme of cost doesn't take many accidents or delays to render it inefficient, likewise many country's don't permit the transport of hot molten metals like that, and even the ones that do its often on a very restrictive basis i.e. route, time of day and often only just a 1km or 2km.

aluminium and Germany can be considered a special case, as molten aluminium can lose much more heat energy than most other molten metals, while electricity is much cheaper in Poland and some parts of Germany than others, so there is the financial impetus to do it on a small scale by road rather than the more normal safer by rail methods, but even then most metals moved by rail is still the cold solid type.

i.e. the amount of molten metal carriers on the road is so small as to be considered the exception and definitely not even remotely "normal" when it comes to the transport of metal in general, and its definitely not carried in standard ISO 20ft chemical tanks either.

the way you worded you reply was as if ALL metals were always carried in molten form unless they were end products, which is simply NOT true by any stretch of the imagination.
Last edited by Centrino2 on 26 May 2017 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Read Forum Rules
Jo0909

#7 Post by Jo0909 » 10 Aug 2017 09:37

This is actually determined by the purpose of the metal and it's stability in the formulation it is being transported in.

Personally, I work as a scientist in medicinal chemistry and I only receive liquid or gell-like fases of metals. This has to do because some metals are required very pure and are liquid at room temperature. Then you have formulations in order to minimize hazards (e.g. some solid alkaly metals) due to their instabillity ("reactiveness" with many substances) or toxicity, and in some cases there are formulations using a large percentage of metals that are used in a wide range of reactions (so are wanted in high quantities) and are (like many reagent formulations) liquids.
When looking at other industries, the parameters purity and cost effectiveness often are paramount. Transporting liquids is more cost effective as the volume can be easily controlled (size and which shape) and I imagine that transporting it onto the transport medium would be easier as well. Also many raw metals have to be liquidiced in order to use reactions to filter out impurities. When casting them they are made solid. When casting, melting and then casting them, new impurities will be created and energy will be wasted so I can imagine that many metals are transported after purification, .

Now looking at lead, it's manner of transport is determined by it's final product. That's because it is easily castable AND easily dissolved and oxidised. you can generally state that in structural purposes (making of solid structures where the lead may be oxidised) such as electronical parts or as in scrap metal it is transported solid. It is transported as a liquid when it comes to chemical purposes and where the lead may not be oxidised(batteries) , but in this case the purity will be lower.
I couldn't find in which way lead is transported the most, but I think that the most pure transportation is solid and the purest way of transporting lead in as a liquid is done with lead-sulfate environments. This isn't used very regularly.

Conclusion: pure lead is mostly transported solid (structural purposes) and liquid lead is also transported but never in a solely lead environment (chemical purposes)

some side notes: I meant oxidisation by air (rust). Also, the amount of metals transported is mainly solid because structural metals are used in very high quantities (think of steel and metal), but there are way more metals then steel and iron.

Return to “Gameplay Questions”