Revert trailer back axles to non-steerable

cip

Revert trailer back axles to non-steerable

#1 Post by cip » 06 Sep 2017 09:09

it might sounds crazy but I started to hate the steerable axles on some trailers for at least two reasons:
- every time I am on a tight roads crossroads, I damage something! if I need to turn left, I will hit the safety guardrail; if I turn right I will damage the opposite traffic vehicles. even when leaving the company I might hit the nearby trailer, or the gates at exit.
- watching in the mirror at turns, a trailer with steerable axles has the behaviour of a peacock tail, I really prefer the old fashioned non-steerable axles where I can watch it nicely in the mirror and anticipate easier its behaviour then adjust my turn.
true that it has the advantage in small roundabouts and tight curves however I wish to keep steerable axles only on very large multiple axles trailers and make non-steerable for the rest.
kindly advice what sii file should I modify, and how? probably chassis? I definitely want to keep all steerable axles on front wheels when there are (like those 4 in Heavy DLC) :D
Enjoy driving with my Real Traffic Density for ETS2 and ATS
Enjoy listening my Real Ai Traffic FMOD Sounds for ETS2 and ATS
I have quit SCS forum...
JESAN

Re: Revert trailer back axles to non-steerable

#2 Post by JESAN » 06 Sep 2017 21:20

Hi Cip,

I suppose you just need to change the wheels in the vehicle's def from wheelx_f (steerable) to wheelx (standard).

For example in Jazzy's T and C pack you have :
" over_ch "
" over_ch_f"
"f" always refers to steerable.

Hoping it helps
I know trailers tend to "sweep" a lot at the rear but they probably steer more then the real ones and since we asked for them there's no need to "spit in the potage" isn't it ? :D
kast

#3 Post by kast » 07 Sep 2017 06:11

You need to edit the model in blender. Steeraxle is wheel_f_0....and so on. standard is wheel_r_0...
I am on the phone. Maybe some mistakes are in :D
JESAN

#4 Post by JESAN » 07 Sep 2017 06:45

I see your point Kast but, in the case of your own Kraker 2 model, what happens if you replace the last axle "kraker_single_fr" by standard "kraker_single" in the trailer def ?
Will the last axle wheels still steer ?
I'am just assuming the workaround is ok if both versions with the relevant paths are present in the mod.
airbus_sai

#5 Post by airbus_sai » 07 Sep 2017 07:03

cipinho, git gud. :D
But seriously, other than editing the model to replace wheels, you can define steerable axles as liftable, and lift them. That will, technically, limit your trailer weight to 22 (?) tons per European regulations.
"Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of squirrels."
- J. Robert Oppenheimer, when asked about Trinity tests, as heard in Lost Years song.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#6 Post by Mohegan13 » 07 Sep 2017 09:13

JESAN wrote: 07 Sep 2017 06:45 I see your point Kast but, in the case of your own Kraker 2 model, what happens if you replace the last axle "kraker_single_fr" by standard "kraker_single" in the trailer def ?
Will the last axle wheels still steer ?
If you don't change the wheel node on the trailer model in Blender Tools, the game will crash.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
cip

#7 Post by cip » 07 Sep 2017 12:32

Jesan, thanks! I wasn't tested yesterday but now I see it seems more complicated, for sure blender is not for me :lol:
if I can adjust "by pencil" would be perfect, at least maybe to reduce the angle of the steerable axles...
@ airbus_sai: it won't work, trailers with steerable axles have all 3-4 axles steerable and if I lift them all the trailer can't fly for sure... :mrgreen:
until an easier solution may be found, I will survive with damaging my trailer sometimes... funny is that how much I like the dollys and front steerable axles is that much I hate the back steerable axles :lol:
Enjoy driving with my Real Traffic Density for ETS2 and ATS
Enjoy listening my Real Ai Traffic FMOD Sounds for ETS2 and ATS
I have quit SCS forum...
marcel-dutch

#8 Post by marcel-dutch » 07 Sep 2017 14:41

cipinho wrote: 06 Sep 2017 09:09 it might sounds crazy but I started to hate the steerable axles on some trailers for at least two reasons:
I have one answer: practice, practice, practice. :mrgreen:

Get use to it and make it your own. It has to be your second nature. :idea:

Understand what is happening and why the trailer behave as it behave. ;)

Personal I like those trailers. It is fun to drive and it is fun to park reverse to the parkingspot.
And yes, it is total different as the normal trailers.

My advise: when you have to turn left on a crossroad, drive to the left of the lane, in stead to the right with the normal trailers. Because the back of the trailer will swing to te right.

When you reversing: understand that you steer the trailerwheels true the angel of the truck and the trailer.
airbus_sai

#9 Post by airbus_sai » 08 Sep 2017 03:13

To add to the above, there's a light in the middle of the trailer, which is almost at the "turning point" of the trailer. For conventional trailers I track second axle position; for heavy steerable trailers - that light, or any non-steerable axle.
"Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of squirrels."
- J. Robert Oppenheimer, when asked about Trinity tests, as heard in Lost Years song.

Return to “Gameplay Questions”