H-shifter with switch AND button

Lowflow

H-shifter with switch AND button

#1 Post by Lowflow » 01 Feb 2021 13:49

Hello!

In settings im able to check the "Shifter toggles use Switch Mode".

But can i somehow use one as switch and the other as normal button? I want the range-selector as a physical switch and splitter as a push button.

In other words, i only want one in "switch mode"
harijs

Re: H-shifter with switch AND button

#2 Post by harijs » 09 Feb 2021 14:02

Hi!
Unfortunately there is no way to do so right now. :(
You can try suggesting that here: viewforum.php?f=5
Hope this helps! :)
dengor

#3 Post by dengor » 17 Mar 2021 13:35

Lowflow wrote: 01 Feb 2021 13:49 But can i somehow use one as switch and the other as normal button?
What is the point getting push button instead of trigger? Will you hold the button manually pressed all the time? Anyway, you can off the game's trigger option and use the mapping utilites for trigger "on-off" for one switch and only "on" for other button. Look for "SV Mapper' for example.
avenger

#4 Post by avenger » 13 Apr 2023 08:13

This is possible. You need to edit the controls settings file from a text editor. From the point you set it up as you need, you'd then see it as "complex" in game settings. If you change either three (shifter toggle 1, 2 and toggle checkbox), it will reset to either toggle or button and you'd need to log off (quit game or back to profile selection), edit the file manually and log back in.

In my case, I am simulating a Mercedes gearbox (https://moba.mercedes-benz-trucks.com/t ... en-GB.html), and I got a 3-button gearshift knob hooked to a Logitech Driving Force shifter (6+r, g29/g920/g923 addon gearbox).

This gearshift knob has the low/fast splitter (like in the Mercedes diagram linked above) and also the volvo's H/L switch. Both these buttons are on-off switches. Notwithstanding, there's a handy toggle switch on top of the knob, right where the hand thumb rests for a left-steering cabin layout (Americas, Europe, opposite to Japan and UK right-steering layout). And this button is a much better fit to emulate how we switch the range in Mercedes gearbox (pulling right for High, left for Low while on neutral).

The problem now, is that I will have an on-off switch (low/fast) and a toggle range selection one (on thumb, to simulate range pulling).

So what I did was set up both buttons and check they change the desired setting in the game and check the box next to "Shifter Toggles use Switch Mode". Exit settings, and the game (or back to profile selection dialog).

Then I opened my profile config file at %USERDIR%\Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\steam_profiles\7510342891753\controls.sii (this 75.. number depends on your steam ID, so you'd need to open steam_profiles folder and open the one for you. If in doubt, or there are several directories, you'd need to enter each one and check which one had controls.sii saved most recently -- the file is saved as soon as you exit the settings interface in the game.

Once I open controls.sii, I scrolled down to find the corresponding setting. In my case, the settings were like this:

Code: Select all

config_lines[471]: "mix gearsel1on `joy2.b3?0 | semantical.gearsel1on?0`"
 config_lines[472]: "mix gearsel1off `! (joy2.b3?0) | semantical.gearsel1off?0`"
 config_lines[473]: "mix gearsel1tgl `semantical.gearsel1tgl?0`"
 config_lines[474]: "mix gearsel2on `joy2.b1?0 | semantical.gearsel2on?0`"
 config_lines[475]: "mix gearsel2off `! (joy2.b1?0) | semantical.gearsel2off?0`"
 config_lines[476]: "mix gearsel2tgl `semantical.gearsel2tgl?0`"
So what I did was, tentatively, change gearsel1* such that their on-off was unbound and tgl had the joystick button to it, ending up with something like this:

Code: Select all

config_lines[471]: "mix gearsel1on `semantical.gearsel1on?0`"
 config_lines[472]: "mix gearsel1off `semantical.gearsel1off?0`"
 config_lines[473]: "mix gearsel1tgl `joy2.b3?0 | semantical.gearsel1tgl?0`"
 config_lines[474]: "mix gearsel2on `joy2.b1?0 | semantical.gearsel2on?0`"
 config_lines[475]: "mix gearsel2off `! (joy2.b1?0) | semantical.gearsel2off?0`"
 config_lines[476]: "mix gearsel2tgl `semantical.gearsel2tgl?0`"
Please notice the 471 .. 476 indexes might change in your config file, so you can't just copy-paste my settings (the joystick buttons should also be different). What's important is to find the gearsel group, keep your on-off button in on-off settings, and move your toggle one to the tgl setting, cleaning up the bindings from on-off.

From that point, when you open settings in the game again, Shifter Toggles use Switch Mode will be unchecked, and the two Shifter Toggle: 1/2 will have complex instead of the actual joy button binding. But to me, it worked like a charm! It probably will just work for you too! .. although it's been a long time this was asked, I was thrown to this thread while searching for this topic. Hopefully more people with the same issue finds this.

Return to “Gameplay Questions”