Slippery when wet

myrddin

Slippery when wet

#1 Post by myrddin » 14 Feb 2021 00:25

Beside beeing the title of a rock album, I noticed that the road is much more slippery when it's raining since the 1.39 update. Annoyingly and unrealisticaly so I might add. I live in a winter country and it has to snow real bad for the road to get so slippery.

Any way to change this, a parameter somewhere, a "g_set_..." command in the console or else ?

TIA

Luc
DeGelderseTrucker

Re: Slippery when wet

#2 Post by DeGelderseTrucker » 19 Feb 2021 18:08

Uhm not sure. In 1.38 or 1.37, there was some sort of physics update, now in gameplay settings, you have 2 new slides, one for truck stability and trailer stability, what if you slide it to its maximum? Otherwise you might have to deal with it if there is no parameter, for me it's also a question if there's a parameter for it.
Arvidsson-Källqvist

#3 Post by Arvidsson-Källqvist » 25 Feb 2021 14:56

Actually it's not intended to be that slippery if I know correctly. It's some sort of mod conflict or such, I also had it. I downloaded a tyre pack from this forum (I don't remember the name of it but it has a huge ammount of real tires) and since using those it's now much much better.
Company: DK International Transport & Spedition SRL
Headquarter: Cluj-Napoca
Truck: 2021 Volvo FH500 Globetrotter XL

(Proud Volvo fanboy since 2001)
plykkegaard

#4 Post by plykkegaard » 25 Feb 2021 15:04

Maybe it is a little too much, but aqua - or hydroplaning is a dangerous condition - slow down :D

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Some newbie driver

#5 Post by Some newbie driver » 25 Feb 2021 16:44

The game is still perfectly playable when wet, even using keyboard (that force you to turn in steps, instead of smoothly).

A different history is if one is using physics configurations not suited well for one's kind of controller used to play, if one is using mods that can conflict with those physics changes (as @Arvidsson-Källqvist explained that can happen) or if one pretends to keep driving as if instead of a truck you would be driving an sports car (as so many people does).

In all those cases, a crash when wet is granted and deserved ans SCS should had not to anything about it.

Regards

PS: BTW, having tires wear over 80% also causes A LOT of slippery on wet roads and over 90% even noticeable on dry roads.
Arvidsson-Källqvist

#6 Post by Arvidsson-Källqvist » 25 Feb 2021 20:56

As stadted above.. Although it's true that back with 1.38 I did tend to have some weird traction loss in rainy weather that was way too unrealistic. Like I couldn't take a shallow 20-25 degree turn with 45-50 km/h. Or a roundabout even under 20 km/h. The truck just kept on going forward, and off the road. It was very weird but, I'm pretty sure it was caused by some tyre mod since it doesn't behave like since I changed them. (Also it wasn't caused by tyre wear, it was uncontrollable even with 0% wear)
Company: DK International Transport & Spedition SRL
Headquarter: Cluj-Napoca
Truck: 2021 Volvo FH500 Globetrotter XL

(Proud Volvo fanboy since 2001)
Some newbie driver

#7 Post by Some newbie driver » 26 Feb 2021 14:48

Just when the physics change was done yes, it was most probably a tires mod issue; several different ones were reported. Basically, they were working as if their wear was almost 100% (so the effect I described about the wear was still more exaggerated)
DeGelderseTrucker

#8 Post by DeGelderseTrucker » 26 Feb 2021 18:26

Hmm, if it's an mod conflict, I remember to having it on Multiplayer too aswell.
Truckdrivr

#9 Post by Truckdrivr » 03 Apr 2021 07:24

this is not a mod conflict, SCS changed something so that rain equals black ice for some reason. highly unrealistic!! only times i have the same gripless sliding around like we do now in rain, in game, is when in RL i drive on thick black ice, they should tone this effect way down or just remove it.
Convoy nametag: Truckdrivr
See you on the road 8-)

My screenshot thread: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=302557
Some newbie driver

#10 Post by Some newbie driver » 04 Apr 2021 21:40

It IS a mod conflict.

I've been playing for years always without mods and the behavior you describe happened never in normal conditions and normal driving (so, driving at adequate speeds for the load of your truck, the road profile and the road condifions). If you pretend to drive like in a Collin McRae then yes, prepare to slip as it MUST be. In normal driving conditions the only way to suffer tire slip (basically, uncontrolled over steering) is because your tires are highly degraded; not allowing you to take corners at the usual speed. And that was the cause of the conflict with mods, when they had not correctly defined the wear ratios; that made them slip like if they worn out even if you see them freshly 100% new in the GUI.

If SCS needs to change something is not to eliminate this effect but to make the truck stability even worse; because the grip of the tires is still too high to compensate the lack of other physics calculations they don't apply actually.

Regards

Return to “Gameplay Questions”